• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Coming back to UO after 8 years away

Hello All,

Nice to see my favorite game is still alive. I think I must be sick or something but during my whole time away I have had many fun thoughts and memories about this damn game.

Now it is time to introduce it to my kids. To teach them that hard work will reap rewards, so go hunt, farm, craft, loot hard and you can build an uber suit in about a years time. Instead of buying 10 chests of 125 million dollar checks lol.

I do have a couple questions,

Will my old account still be in the system? I think I had about 30 Soul stones and I hope they are in the bank.

How much does it cost a year to play.

Is there a lot of swearing or any other type of activity that will be harmful to my kids, 6 and 9 years old?

Is FL still alive?

Thanks again for any answers or feedback you can provide to us.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Welcome Home.

Your account should still be about. You may have some difficulty with the account "mis" management page. If you do remember "Patience is a Virtue!"... and keep trying to contact customer support. I highly suggest doing the help though there and getting them to CALL YOU. There is no number to call them but actually talking to a live person is well.... a somewhat faster way.

Cost per year is going to depend on where you live and tax if any as well as how you pay. Personally I chose the 6 month at a crack deal since that comes out to about $9.99 a month so roughly 120 bucks a year(way cheaper than taking the rug rats to the movies once a month).

As for most stuff I would suggest keeping the filter on for your childrens sake and you may want to keep them OUT of General Chat. Help chat would be nice if anyone was in it but since the autobot spammer in Haven is stuck in the "help" channel spamming all day all night about selling gold most people tend to avoid it.

Gen chat can get kinda brutal when there are folk PvPing in Fel... since they seem to think it's awesome to smack talk in Gen chat.

Welcome Home.

Your account should still be about. You may have some difficulty with the account "mis" management page. If you do remember "Patience is a Virtue!"... and keep trying to contact customer support. I highly suggest doing the help though there and getting them to CALL YOU. There is no number to call them but actually talking to a live person is well.... a somewhat faster way.

Cost per year is going to depend on where you live and tax if any as well as how you pay. Personally I chose the 6 month at a crack deal since that comes out to about $9.99 a month so roughly 120 bucks a year(way cheaper than taking the rug rats to the movies once a month).
[BCOLOR=#000000]Yay to this!![/BCOLOR]

As for most stuff I would suggest keeping the filter on for your childrens sake and you may want to keep them OUT of General Chat. Help chat would be nice if anyone was in it but since the autobot spammer in Haven is stuck in the "help" channel spamming all day all night about selling gold most people tend to avoid it.

Gen chat can get kinda brutal when there are folk PvPing in Fel... since they seem to think it's awesome to smack talk in Gen chat.
Thank you for your answers it is much appreciated!!

For myself, I had a pretty good suit and weapons that I know I have on still. Will my suit and weapons be useless? I used to play a stealth archer with smokebombs and poison shurikens.
Can someone possible direct me to how the current UO operates? Can we still buy gold :p Because I will if I can to save my time, I just want to play my one character and let my kids mule away for me Bwahahahaha

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thank you for your answers it is much appreciated!!

For myself, I had a pretty good suit and weapons that I know I have on still. Will my suit and weapons be useless? I used to play a stealth archer with smokebombs and poison shurikens.
Can someone possible direct me to how the current UO operates? Can we still buy gold :p Because I will if I can to save my time, I just want to play my one character and let my kids mule away for me Bwahahahaha
Well... just read through my post about the spammer and you should know the answer there.

As for your suit/weapons etc.... You might want to check out current builds and skills like Imbuing and doing things like Reforging and the new artifact drops out.... and such as you can pretty much tailor your suit to give you every advantage possible with HCI,DCI and HLD and such... and I'm pretty sure you'll want to get someone to make you some new bows or you might want to pick up Styngian Abyss and High Seas... at least... so you can take advantage of the new stuff available and since your about 10 days late... you might want to get Time of Legends that just came out.

I
one of my spawn bows

was just googling and found that the same online vendors from many years ago are still there. Wow, I am very happy. I had been thinking that UO had probably gone through some drastic changes but it all seems to have remained the same. My stealther suit is still pretty good with all 70's and DCI/HCI/LMC/MR/EP and max skill caps .Ive got a 35ssi Heavy with 50 fireball and 45 di in my hand as that was the got to dismount running shot balanced bow to disrupt mages. Woot!!

I think I bought SA will it still be connected to my account?

What shard would you recommend starting at?

Thank you so much for your quick replies. I am a happy UO camper

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you want to go where the people are Atl is the busiest shard by far.... I believe I've heard LS is hot for PvP right now. Other than that GL's has a good round about population and the EM events there are pretty good and has plenty of vendors.

Outside that I can't tell you much... except you can now have a house on a regular shard AND one on Siege if you want to try your hand there.

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would keep your kids off atl, it being the most populated, it brings in all sorts of people.
Find one on your time zone to be able to make events and such.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Welcome back!

If you're a new or returning player, you should come to Atlantic. That is where the most players are and where you will be able to find the most help. Nothing to be afraid of there.

If looking for a large friendly guild that helps new players and runs hunts every night, feel free to send me an ICQ or private message.

Ossy

Adventurer
Welcome back. I just restarted after a 13 year hiatus, with a brief stop about two years ago.

Currently on Catskills, but it doesn't seem to be that active.

Wish I could restart my old Chesapeake characters, but they are probably lost by now and I can't remember what my login was anyways.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Only one reason to be on Atlantic. To buy and sell. I moved to a low population shard and love it. No fighting over spawns and such. To vulgarity and trash talking all day in chat. It's like the tv show Cheers. Everyone knows your name and reputation. To each their own but Atlantic would be my UO hell. Some shards like Legends seem like no one is on till you need help or need something then suddenly 10 people crawl outta the wood work. Shard populations are Atlantic, Great Lakes, then the rest. Also I really like having a castle and that is never going to happen on Atlantic or Great Lakes. Great lakes (my old shard) is probably a good compromise. Decent amount of people around and lots of 18x18 spots in Trammel. Plus they probably have a spot in a place you'd like. Then again you could place a keep on Legends right now, no problem. That's nice!

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your worried about your kids and what they will hear in chat then keep them off atl. Even the help channel there can get bad sometimes. A lot of the smaller shards have helpful groups of people but it can be a challenge if your trying to buy stuff you need. I'd suggest chessy. More of a Roll Play shard and the pvp smack talk is a lot more tame compared to atl. In today's uo it's probably closer to mid population shard.

Ossy

Adventurer
How does Catskills compare to Atlanta and Chessy (my original shard)?

Can you transfer characters from shard to shard?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you transfer characters from shard to shard?
Yes. Using a character transfer token. These can be purchased in game for gold or via origin.com for real money.

Jack Daniels

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Atlanta = high pop
Chessy = med pop

Catskills = low pop

That about right?
That's about right, although if it's the gen chat your worried about you can always switch to the no chat channel, or the rp channel or make a channel of your own for your kids. Just having came back myself I found the low population servers to be a bore, the vendors are for the most part empty. I transferred to atl and have found a little niche where my intrest in the game has started to come around. Joined UWF with my pvm chars and have taken part in some hunts that I never knew were part of the game. When in the pvp mood I can jump on a red and find someone doing a spawn or yew gate at most hours of the day.

Just my input of course, I'm sure others have had the same experiences from other shards as well

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
catskills is about the same as chessy. medium population. all relative now, atlantic is now the highest population but only has about one third the active players that it did when you last played.

your stuff *should be there, but after 5 years theres an increased chance of it being lost. if its there, and your soulstones were in the bank when you left, they should still be in the bank. if they were in a house that fell, they will be lost

swearing is allowed in overhead chat, but not global chat (not sure if global chat was out yet last time you played) racism and violent sexual talk are not allowed.

thats not to say it doesnt happen, if your really worried about your kids seeing a text wall of terrible language, best to turn the global chat off and just use overhead.

Ossy

Adventurer
It sounds like Atlantic or Great Lakes has the most people. I think I've run across three people total in my short time on Catskills. Chat doesn't bother me any, I just want a shard that is fairly active with people around. I won't be playing much, so would be looking for a guild that is active so would have people to chat with and hang when have time.

Might need to take a run around Atlantic, Great Lakes and Chessy tonight. I don't need an 18x18, but would like a decent sized plot that isn't surrounded by other homes. Never liked being in an area that was house after house after house.

Sorry to hijack the post Balian.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good to look around. If you want a house in trammel, I think you will have a hard time finding anything over a 10x12 on atlantic unless you have some millions to buy a plot from somebody. Great Lakes has a good population but also some nice empty spots for bigger houses. But create a character on each shard and run around and look.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, it is all very helpful.
I seem to be having trouble authenticating my old account and they will not give it to me. :(
Back when I played there was no birthdate or secret questions.
I really dont want to spend months training up a new stealth archer and or invest a lot of rl money into the game. But it seems these days that this is what must happen to get the real shortcuts.

No worries about any hijacking, its all good information for what seems to be a lot of returning players.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's easy to find an 18x18 on GL. At the FCB fish market (on road north of Cove) we keep a book with runes to house spots open.

Good events on GL too.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want to go where the people are Atl is the busiest shard by far.... I believe I've heard LS is hot for PvP right now. Other than that GL's has a good round about population and the EM events there are pretty good and has plenty of vendors.

Outside that I can't tell you much... except you can now have a house on a regular shard AND one on Siege if you want to try your hand there.
Yup, LS is fairly active. The main guilds are 151 & UOF (which is using the nwa tag now), with guys from other shards here now. For pvp, Atl pretty much goes all day, but yeah, it's...not kid-friendly at all. LS is a mix of pvp & pvm. There is some ****-talk, but it's pretty quiet for the most part.

Can someone let me know what plugins are worth getting, is there a uo map and uo assist still?
UOAssist is still a thing, and yes & no to map. The old UO Automap is no longer a thing. Instead, it's UO Cartographer.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

I seem to be having trouble authenticating my old account and they will not give it to me. :(
I really dont want to spend months training up a new stealth archer and or invest a lot of rl money into the game. But it seems these days that this is what must happen to get the real shortcuts.

No worries about any hijacking, its all good information for what seems to be a lot of returning players.
Welcome back Balian. It's pretty easy to train up skills if you know what you're doing these days. Stealth is one of those slower skills to train, but on the flip side, you can get some stealth jewelry and go explore as you train it. Also, you can try dropping Mesanna an email directly to see if she can assist in retrieving your old account. She can sometimes do wonders! Oh and if you wind up playing Pacific again, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't take months to train skills anymore. Even taming can get done in about 2 weeks (start your character at 50tame/50lore, make a runebook for 7 or 8 spots w/ heavy animal spawns, then recall around.) Several shards even sell these books, on Atlantic Lady Tang at the BookStore is constantly replacing her such runebooks. Finding some scrolls of alacrity (15min boost to skill gain) can also help a lot :thumbup:.

There's tricks to training most skills & if you ask in Help Chat, someone can usually point you in the right direction. For this, UOGuide.com and Stratics are two of your best resources.
Investing rl money outside of your account and maybe something that tickles your fancy from the UOStore isn't really a necessity.
If you take your time & play the game - money will find you. One good item drop can fetch tens to hundreds of millions to the right person:eek:.

Above all, just enjoy your gaming & time spent with family :).
Welcome back, we missed you ;).

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Can someone let me know what plugins are worth getting, is there a uo map and uo assist still?
Enhanced Client and Pincos. Pincos probably not even necessary. EC can do just about anything the third-party plug-ins for the classic client can do.

Hi all,

A Mythic token is only $25 bucks from the official store and cheaper in-game with gold. It would allow you to select 5 skills to start at 90. So if you wanted to get atleast one character up and running pretty quickly, that's a good way to get some bang for your buck.