• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Comcast Drops Michigan, Kentucky, etc

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Since Comcast is bailing out on all of Michigan and much of the midwest... who should I go with? Looks like Charter will be a big part of this in Michigan. We have Charter at the cottage up north and their TV is real sub par compared to Comcast. Their In Demand selection is a joke. But their internet is rock solid so I'm thinking that might be the way to go. We also have WOW! which had terrible internet that would kick me outta my online games once or twice an hour. I kept them less than a month last time I tried them. Or AT&T which in general sucks at everything they do, lol. So I don't think I'll even look into them. *sigh* I always hated Comcast for their inflated prices and disinterest and lack of concern for customer service in general. But when Comcast is working it works awesome. *sigh*

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...p-2-5m-customers-in-detroit-other-communities

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Charter is offered slightly south of where I live and they seem to be pretty good.

I've had Comcast for 12 years. It sucks and I hate it but it's my only option for internet besides DSL. I swear I called support I got a world tour of every 3rd world poohole that offers phone support. Tier one was India, tier two had a strong French accent so naturally he immediately gave up and sent me to tier three which spoke with such a strong Spanish accent and broken English that I had to just hang up.

As far as the tv goes. I've been strongly considering cutting the tie to cable and going with hulu or amazon. There's nothing that comes on tv that justifies paying 80+ a month that can't be found on the internet for free or a fraction of the price.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Charter is offered slightly south of where I live and they seem to be pretty good.

I've had Comcast for 12 years. It sucks and I hate it but it's my only option for internet besides DSL. I swear I called support I got a world tour of every 3rd world poohole that offers phone support. Tier one was India, tier two had a strong French accent so naturally he immediately gave up and sent me to tier three which spoke with such a strong Spanish accent and broken English that I had to just hang up.

As far as the tv goes. I've been strongly considering cutting the tie to cable and going with hulu or amazon. There's nothing that comes on tv that justifies paying 80+ a month that can't be found on the internet for free or a fraction of the price.
Well if you have Comcast now the new company, that Charter owns quite a bit of, will be taking Comcast's place. So you should still be able to get high speed internet and such.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Oh yeah Comcast support sucks. Netflix is pretty cool for the price, might want to add that to the list.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if you have Comcast now the new company, that Charter owns quite a bit of, will be taking Comcast's place. So you should still be able to get high speed internet and such.
I'm not in the trade area. Comcast has a firm deathgrip on my area and I suspect that will never go away unless they completely sell out.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm not in the trade area. Comcast has a firm deathgrip on my area and I suspect that will never go away unless they completely sell out.
Well they're not bailing out over money. They're making a ton here. They are buying Time Warner which will give them NY and LA. But that will give them too large a market share. The FCC says they can't have more than 30% of the US market. So to keep their total US subscribers under 30% of the entire market they are gonna give up the midwest. They figure even though the number of subscribers will remain about the same they can make a lot more selling ads.