• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Colored ore randomness question

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A couple weekends ago I mined multiple times for short stretches, and noticed that one particular spot always gave valorite ore in large quantities each time I mined the spot. I'm guessing I probably mined there 15 times during that stretch.

I tried that spot again the following Monday and it produced only iron ore (wasn't using a prospector's tool or gargoyle pick during any of these attempts). It has continued to produce only iron ore since then, which got me to wondering about the randomness of colored ore.

Has anyone figured out the pattern of the randomness? On other occasions I've mined a spot two consecutive times (after allowing time for the ore to replenish) and gotten different ore each time. Then this time a spot produced the same high level ore for two days straight.

Mostly this is a curiosity question - not really expecting a cut and dry answer.

K

Kallie Pigeon

It seems to me that a spot will continue producing the same ore for a day or two and then change to something else if you mine it a lot and perhaps slower if you mine it less. This is my answer but I hope someone like Basara has collected data which as much as it interests me to do that I have failed to think of it at the time. :)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have 3 val spots i have been mining every day for over a month! I only mine them 1 or 2 times a day!
I think that when you mine a spot it has a chance to change probably a low chance !
on another note I have NEVER seen the same spot change more than 1 time in a given day! (not saying it cant happen just I have never had it happen)

I think it probably goes by UO days so it rolls every uo day on the first time its mined and if it fails to change then its that way atleast till the next uo day!

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh, that makes sense. I was using mine by resource instead of the traditional way, so that probably explains the more random nature I have seen in most cases.

Next time I find a high-grade vein, I'll take your experience to heart, Storm, and not mine it so frequently.

Thanks for the help.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
well it can change when others mine it also so that may not be the best approach!
my mining spots I have never seen another miner anywhere near there!
thats the key find the out of the way spots !

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have marked valorite spots on some of the really dead shards (in Trammel) and then put the miner on mothballs for many months and found that the spots were still giving valorite 8 or 9 months later. Same with trees. Have had trees on Origin in out of the way places still give me heartwood 10 months later. It's happened way too many times for me to think it's random. When you can go through 6-8 books of runes you marked 8-9 months ago and 90% or more of the spots are still giving you the same ore......well, I'd say the shard is really dead for one thing and that the ore or lumber changes based on a spot being used for collecting a resource and not just because of the passage of time.

G

Gelf

hmm could be like doom arties where theres a slight increase in the chances it will change every time its mined

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every time some ore is mined, whether or not you completely drain the tile, when it respawns, there is a chance that the ore type will change. It's then left up to the RNG as to what ore type the tile will become. It could change to any of the ore types including remaining the same. Every single resource tile in the game should act this way. Many players claim to have spots that never change. Either their sample is simply too small or the tile is bugged.

I've mined for many years, well before the resource tile changes. I had four to six books and more for each ore type in both Trammel and Felucca. All in all probably around 50 books total. These all pre-date the resource changes. Not one single spot, not one, has remained the same as it was before the change. That's like 800 spots and they've all changed.

Since the changes. I have two books of good percentage spots for both trees and ore. Most are marked to enable mining or jacking at least two resource tiles. I can go through the two books and by the time I get back to the first rune, the resource has respawned. The ore and wood types change all the time. I can run through my tree books and I'll hit a frostwood tree. It may be there for two or three more runs but it always eventually changes. Same with valorite ore.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone figured out the pattern of the randomness?

Mostly this is a curiosity question - not really expecting a cut and dry answer.
Randomness isn't supposed to have a pattern. The exact formula was posted in a FoF I think sometime soon after the publish came out with the resource changes.

F

Faux Pas

Zane, I have the same experience. I have mined for 10+ years and the good ol days of a valorite spot are gone! More iron now than any other type. So you think the price would go down, not!:)