• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cold Drakes the ultimate Economy Pet

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had not messed with them much since pub 97, mainly because I get bored fast doing T maps and when I do maps I just use a Mystic/Weaver T hunter. So I filled a Davies up with L-6 maps and decided to work on getting it empty again. No sign of cold drakes the first dozen or so maps and then started getting 2-3 on about every chest that came up and decided to log on a second account with a tamer and start loring them. Most were as I expected turd stews. Then I hit one with 116 Wrestle and 126 tactics and then another 113 wrestle and 126 tactics and another 115 wrestle 122 tactics.

Since they are 3 slot I figured they had potential and took one of the Turd Stews out for pirate training. A hour and a half later I have a trained up Cold Drake with 110wrestle and 112 tactics already in place and it got 100 anat in the pirate beating. Was impressed with how much is available to them. I ended up going AI/chiv/Goo on the T Stew. He ended up with 850 HP 700 Str 350 mana 20-10-30 regens 150 stam/dex he had 73 cold resist so I just spread the resist even down the line. They are 50% Phys and 50% Cold damage (Part of the reason I took him Chiv and AI). Going to train some of the other crap ones up and add piercing, battle defense, slashing etc to them just for kicks before I train up any of the 115+ wrestle and 122+ tactics ones.

In actual combat I took turd stew through the usual tour, Miasmas, a couple of Rends, Navrey, and a Dragon Turtle, and the run through the abyss doing the Renowned spawns. He did as well or better overall than my 110/115 scrolled pets even though not ideal for some spawns/bosses.

Biggest drawback is they are not mountable as is the case with a lot of pets.

Biggest upside is if you don't want to spend millions on power scrolls, you can find some real nice ones with 115+ wrestle and 120+ tactics on level 6 maps and it is easy enough to get them to 800-900 hp with them only being 3 slot to start. Overall a very good pet that does not cost a fortune to get into top tier range.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've always been an advocate of these guys. Especially for new/returning tamers or those with limited funds. They are cheap and they are very effective, especially in something like the roof. And they are also easy to experiment with because of all the different abilities they can get. Plus they come in 50 colors!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I had not messed with them much since pub 97, mainly etc
Biggest upside is if you don't want to spend millions on power scrolls, you can find some real nice ones with 115+ wrestle and 120+ tactics on level 6 maps and it is easy enough to get them to 800-900 hp with them only being 3 slot to start. Overall a very good pet that does not cost a fortune to get into top tier range.
They are 50% Phys and 50% Cold damage (Part of the reason I took him Chiv and AI).

Great post and thank you!!
By the way what you mean about the reason for Chiv and AI due to 50% Phys and Cold? Can you explain?
Thanks again in advance!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a plain one and one with Chiv. Both have over 120 stats. Both sit in the stable. They cant' take a punch like a Cu or Hiryu.

Take one solo to the Belfry and let us know how that goes.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are 50% Phys and 50% Cold damage (Part of the reason I took him Chiv and AI).

Great post and thank you!!
By the way what you mean about the reason for Chiv and AI due to 50% Phys and Cold? Can you explain?
Thanks again in advance!
Consecrate weapon and Armor ignore for hitting against the weakest resist if it is not cold.

I have a plain one and one with Chiv. Both have over 120 stats. Both sit in the stable. They cant' take a punch like a Cu or Hiryu.

From what I have seen they take a hit as well as anything else, resist are resist doesn't matter what the critter is.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Consecrate weapon and Armor ignore for hitting against the weakest resist if it is not cold.

From what I have seen they take a hit as well as anything else, resist are resist doesn't matter what the critter is.
Cool info thanks..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's what it should be. But I have taken pets to the same mob and some pet types take more damage with same resist setup. Same parry also.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I took one and It usually does the Belfry in about 25-30 minutes (occasionally doesn't finish the first time). But doable.

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My 7x120 Cokd Drake is just as powerful as my 7x120 Cu afa deeps goes.

The only real difference I see is that Drakes require more of my attention to heal them so it's a tad annoying.

Dat Cu natural healing tho.

But I mean, they are still a solid pet. Like my Drake.