• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic client: Crash in Cavern of the Discarded

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup. Consistent over the past two weeks.
Baja. I use the house teleporter to the right side of the abyss. I go to the Cavern of the Discarded. After a couple of minutes the classic client just plain closes.
(My purpose down there is to walk around the pond to find thrown-away things -- it's crashed before I get all the way around the pond, and it happens every time for the past couple of weeks.)

Edit: see below

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I crash almost every time I go into the abyss. I crash in the middle of the snakes when I go to Medusa. Only that account closes. I only fight bosses with groups so I yell out to come save me in gen Chat on an account that din't crash. "Allen crashed in the snakes" is a common thing in LS Gen chat. But I am am the only one of the group that crashes. How would you fix an issue that only effects 1 player?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would tell that one player to reinstall -- ... hm.
Let me get back to you in a few hours.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uninstalled.
Deleted / moved remaining files.
Reinstalled.
I set up my macros and icons again -- I did not copy the old files into the new installation.
This appears to have solved the problem.
Thanks, Pawain, what would I do without you?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yup. Consistent over the past two weeks.
Baja. I use the house teleporter to the right side of the abyss. I go to the Cavern of the Discarded. After a couple of minutes the classic client just plain closes.
(My purpose down there is to walk around the pond to find thrown-away things -- it's crashed before I get all the way around the pond, and it happens every time for the past couple of weeks.)

Edit: see below
So the discarded items spawn in the pool or anywhere there? Do you use shift enter to see them? or? Thanks..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks, Pawain, what would I do without you?
I can't not play long enough to do that. I'll just live with crashes in the Abyss. After the initial one it does not crash again.

Glad yours is fixed!

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All righty. Just sayin' two big differences between Old Installation and New are:
o New installation runs on Win 10. Old installation was running in Win XP compatibility mode.
o The ever-lengthening journal. I'm wondering if Windows was balking at appending text onto a text file that had grown to 101 megabytes, and is now much happier without doing that. You could try renaming your old journal and starting a new one.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What is the name of that file and where is it. I could look at that. Thanks

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We also crash nearly always in the Abyss, on multiple accounts, possibly all. Dread the idea of renewing all those macros, so for the time being we'll also live with the crashes. ... Come to think of it, maybe it only happens on our comp with Windows 10, not the one with Windows ... not 10. Not even sure which version that is, but without the stupid "tiles".

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stupid tiles are from WIndows 8.
With the later 8.1 and 10, you can trade the desktops so your main desktop is the one without the stupid tiles.

... Your journal file is specified by your uo.cfg for each character. For example, mine might be
C:\Users\MeLaura\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\User Data\myuoacct\Baja\Laura\uo.cfg

within that uo.cfg file there is a line:
JournalSaveFile=UOLaura_Journal.txt

Since I didn't specify a full path, that's going to go into the
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic
directory, and there it is.
My brand spanking new UOLaura_Journal.txt is now about 416K long. The older one was about 101M long.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oops never mind. Just got crashed again.
:D Glad I didn't re install. I dont know how they can fix me crashing and 5 others doing the same thing and not crashing. Also my 2 other accounts are still online at the bank so it just crashes that one account.

The most difficult things to fix are intermittent problems with physical things and more difficult with software. That's why I just live with it.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So the question would then be, what did I do between the time it was working on the new install and the time it started crashing again?

I added my macros.

@Bleak please find and fix. Run this omelet in Debug mode which can help you find where arrays are getting pancaked. Are you allocating enough memory for macros?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also see "hire or intern a new programmer without the requirement that he or she move to bumpancake Virginia."

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain try deleting all the macros that you never use / never will use. LOL. You might want to back up your macros file first.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will do. Earlier this week I crashed twice while going to Medusa. I got there safe the first try and forgot arrows. Ugh. So crashed on way back. Then my lens ran out so had to go get another and of course I crashed.

Np one else in the party crashed as usual.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Today again 2 of our chars crashed in the Stygian Abyss, one even twice. But a few other chars that often do crash there didn't.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm the only one in our group that crashes. Send some crashers to LS so I wont be alone.