• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Clarification about the Dread Warhorses requested

R

Revenant2

A situation I'm seeing for some people is this.

They believe that this Cove invasion thingie will be their only chance to get themselves a Dread Warhorse. Because these new pets are spawning only in an environment where griefing during taming is easy and can be rampant, some of the tamers are getting angry and frustrated.

Please clarify whether or not these new horses will spawn later, in a more normal way, like Swampies do now. My own common sense tells me that they will but that's not a reassurance to the people I talk to, people need to hear the real word. If this is verified as being the case, the tamers will not feel pressured to attempt to dodge around the griefers as they are now.

It should be mentioned that the continued presence and persistance of the tamers wanting to get dread warhorses has been giving the wholly negative class of people we could call 'antisocial griefers' a delightful time. Having the first appearance of the new tameable happening once each hour, in one location on each facet, and lasting for only a few minutes, has kinda set things up for them.

Hopefully, nobody was thinking "The tamers will just have to work together for their common goal!" in the context of UO. UO's got plenty of griefers whose own joy comes from making others unhappy, and doing it within the context of an action that's technically legal in-game (interrupting a tame and eventually killing the desired pet) is a plus for them.

So yeah -- please clarify on this, so that these tamers who are being left out can relax.

(and no I was not personally griefed this way, I got what I wanted fast and got out, bola and honor tame style)

R

Revenant2

Has anyone heard anything about this that might be considered as having come from a reliable source?

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well no one can say for sure except a dev, but they mentioned the horse as being a new tamable not a rare one, also mentioned that the invasion would go into njhelm and delucia..we havnt seen that yet, so i would imagine they will be here for awhile....its the seagul nemo effect going on out there with certain people lol....

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I know when Origin first encountered the invasion it was in Serpents Hold and Cove in Tram AND Fel. Then it moved to just Cove as far as I know.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thats what i was going on, jeremy mentioned i believe in one of the fof's for origin to watch cove delucia and i thought nujhelm..serp hold would make more sense though

S

SDragor

I think, calling people "griefers" is pretty one-sided and is a funny perspective. Did you ever consider that people come to these events and just like to fight any creature that is "red" or that is agressive? I've done so myself, killed Nightmares for hides, and during the first hours I did not even notice the difference between Nightmares and those Dread Horses. I was insulted and offended by tamers, and I didn't even know why.

To my opinion, some people really have lost their mind, getting so upset about a pixel horse. There is no "mine" and "yours" during such a war situation. Everybody fights for loot or for survival here, and people declaring monsters or creatures their "property" really have lost all sense of realism. I cannot even believe these discussions are happening. And I hope the developers don't give anything about complaints like these.

They should focus their energy on things that improve the games, and not on some whiners who do not get the object of this GAME.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Revenant, you listened to the recorded version of the Saturday Town Hall meeting and heard Draconi say he's been watching people fight over the dread warhorses, right? I think someone else also posted that when they tamed the first one on Atlantic, a GM (probably Draconi himself) popped out and told them what to say to get it to do a trick.

My guess is that Draconi's STILL watching what's going on and has something up his sleeve, but who knows what.

Perhaps we will also be getting some other tamables that spawn in similar situations and the developers are trying to figure out how best to handle those too. Or maybe they are trying to force people into figuring out how to work together to accomplish things. Or perhaps they just didn't really understand how greedy and anti-social some people can be. Maybe all of the above are true.

R

Revenant2

I think, calling people "griefers" is pretty one-sided and is a funny perspective. Did you ever consider that people come to these events and just like to fight any creature that is "red" or that is agressive? I've done so myself, killed Nightmares for hides, and during the first hours I did not even notice the difference between Nightmares and those Dread Horses. I was insulted and offended by tamers, and I didn't even know why.

To my opinion, some people really have lost their mind, getting so upset about a pixel horse. There is no "mine" and "yours" during such a war situation. Everybody fights for loot or for survival here, and people declaring monsters or creatures their "property" really have lost all sense of realism. I cannot even believe these discussions are happening. And I hope the developers don't give anything about complaints like these.

They should focus their energy on things that improve the games, and not on some whiners who do not get the object of this GAME.
I didn't say that all tamers are behaving in a mature and intelligent way regarding the pre-tame dread warhorses. But, I did say that there are individuals who should be called 'griefers' who are using this event as an opportunity to torment people and are getting their enjoyment from the act of making someone else unhappy.

An individual who makes a policy of attacking and killing animals that other people are in the process of taming is obviously being antisocial. In the context of an event, people with such a policy are not simply rampaging red-hued monsters, there are plenty of those around. They are deliberately targeting a monster which would, post-tame, be that individual's pet. After all, it's easy to simply target the dismounted vanguard controller (which will have an interesting shield as loot) and skip killing the dread war horse while the tamers are working on it.

Getting the message out to the tamers that there will be plenty of Dread Warhorses later (assuming this is the case) would take the pressure out of the situation. That's all I'd asked for in my post; if you think that's whining and fit to be ignored, then whatever.

Nobody's in Destard taming every single Superdragon that spawns, eh? And while some griefing goes on there, it's not a tremendous deal because everybody knows that Superdragons will continue to spawn in the future. The ambiguity is part of the trouble, here.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

"I did say that there are individuals who should be called 'griefers' who are using this event as an opportunity to torment people and are getting their enjoyment from the act of making someone else unhappy. "
The two griefers I've seen so far have both been tamers.

R

Revenant2

Revenant, you listened to the recorded version of the Saturday Town Hall meeting and heard Draconi say he's been watching people fight over the dread warhorses, right? I think someone else also posted that when they tamed the first one on Atlantic, a GM (probably Draconi himself) popped out and told them what to say to get it to do a trick.

My guess is that Draconi's STILL watching what's going on and has something up his sleeve, but who knows what.

Perhaps we will also be getting some other tamables that spawn in similar situations and the developers are trying to figure out how best to handle those too. Or maybe they are trying to force people into figuring out how to work together to accomplish things. Or perhaps they just didn't really understand how greedy and anti-social some people can be. Maybe all of the above are true.
Agreed. The idea of making tamers themselves need to work together for a common resource is kinda different from the out and out griefers. The difference is that the tamers each have something to lose and something to gain, whereas for the griefers, it is a win-win situation. I expect the UO people are watching it all and understand what's happening; they didn't start playing yesterday.

I just want to be able to tell the victimized people 'Don't worry about it, if you can't get one now just chill and get one later, it's not like a gold rush'. Assuming of course that's the case.

R

Revenant2

"I did say that there are individuals who should be called 'griefers' who are using this event as an opportunity to torment people and are getting their enjoyment from the act of making someone else unhappy. "
The two griefers I've seen so far have both been tamers.
I saw a little of that yes. Disgusting, isn't it?

It's not necessarily about which char the person brings, it's the person behind the char that makes the difference.

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think someone else also posted that when they tamed the first one on Atlantic, a GM (probably Draconi himself) popped out and told them what to say to get it to do a trick.
That was me and yes he did. He seemed tickled about it and we had no idea he was watching.

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw a little of that yes. Disgusting, isn't it?

It's not necessarily about which char the person brings, it's the person behind the char that makes the difference.
I have no problem with people killing the horse if they want to do it for the game play or story line. It is the guy who recalls into Tram... attacks and kills ONLY and ALL of the horses than recalls to Fel and does the same that has a problem and who I feel sorry for. There have been two different guys doing this on Atlantic so far. They attack NOTHING else at all and recall away as soon as the horses are dead. The funny thing is I have never seen them overlap so maybe it is the same guy on a different Char. One is a tamer in a defunct and previously well thought of Fel guild and the other is a fighters ALL in red on a minax warhorse.

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

H

Hunters Moon

Ok so a few tamers won't be able to get the warhorse right away? Big deal. Tamers coming here complaining that someone killed their precious warhorse in mid-tame is like me posting a rant about how someone was able to get to a stealable artie in Doom before I was able to get to it. The warhorse is not 'yours' until its health bar pops up blue.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

+1

Amen.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now I'll tell you my experience, as a tamer, today on Europa.

I found a dread horse, started to tame it, got pk'd - Not sure how, but I'd gone grey, something I didn't realise till the npc healer wouldn't rez me. So I waited till the flag wore off and got rezed. When I got back I just stood aside, looking at the dread horse but waiting to see who wanted to do what.

I got asked 'Did you want to tame it'? I said 'Yes please' and the 4 other people there offered to help by healing me. Actually I peaced it and tamed it first attempt and didn't need help, but the offer was there and the 'griefing' I'm reading about on here most definitely was not.

Not quite the picture that's been painted here is it?