• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Clairify please

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im getting mixed messages about luck. Can someone please explain any and all help that luck would be in mining. Thanks

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
My understanding is that luck only affects your ability to mine saltpeter. See this page.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it comes to luck you will always get mixed messages no matter the venue. The luck system has been screwy in the past and never fully understood, thus it plays into people superstitions and such. Much like claims that food levels effects this and that, suggestions that dieing will help you get past a skill gain plateau, and server lines and various other claims that should be busted on some type of UO snopes. Luck is attributed to various runs of real life good luck with regards to the random number generator and such.

That being said, my understanding of luck with regards to mining is as follows:
Luck does not effect ore type.
Luck does not effect how many of an ore you get from a mining vein.
Luck does not increase your chances of getting special gems from mining.
Luck does not increase your chances of getting crystalline blackrock in termur.
etc etc

What luck does do in regards to mining is increase the size of your niter deposit when you are lucky enough to find one.
I think the stratics link that Syrus provided which says and I quote "Only miners with high luck can find these deposits which can occur in 5 different sizes." is misleading.
I believe you can find a niter deposit no matter your luck and that with zero or low luck you will only find the smallest deposits.

Of course I am sure we will see those who claim otherwise, and this is only my understanding of luck with regards to mining.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying, Tully.

P.S. May is a perfect month for sushi. Just sayin'.

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks both for the help. I plan on firing my miner up full time for the first time in a few years and need every edge i can get. Can i mine out of the new ships or the small ones only?

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remo,
You can mine from both types of ships, though on cliffs with a northern face it can take a bit of practice on either ship.
I would suggest not mining with a gargoyle pickaxe from a ship, seems if an ore elemental spawns they got stuck in the sea or some such problem. You may have to walk on water to get to their corpses (conjures images of Chiun in the final scenes of your movie namesake)
Personally if I am looking for saltpeter, I find the dungeons to be best.

Syrus,
Sushi sounds great, or even just a couple beers or some pho.

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think im gonna be swapping my mining over to a character that can better defend himself. Ill leave the smith skills with the old toon. Who knows, a taming miner could be fun.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What luck does do in regards to mining is increase the size of your niter deposit when you are lucky enough to find one.
I will agree with this. The higher your luck the better the chance of getting larger deposits.

I think the stratics link that Syrus provided which says and I quote "Only miners with high luck can find these deposits which can occur in 5 different sizes." is misleading.
You are %100 wrong. The higher your luck the better the chance of finding a deposit.

I believe you can find a niter deposit no matter your luck and that with zero or low luck you will only find the smallest deposits.
I have yet to find any deposit with 0 luck. When I only want ingots I do not wear any luck and have never, not even 1 time found a saltpeter deposit.

Of course I am sure we will see those who claim otherwise, and this is only my understanding of luck with regards to mining
You are %100 correct on this statement. Unless you are a miner that mines for ingots only or mine for ingots and saltpeter then please do not mislead people.

I have been doing a lot of mining from day 1. Started with almost 1000 luck and would be lucky to get 500 saltpeter a day. I now have a 1907 luck suit and the number of deposits have increased and the size of the deposit have increased. In less then 2 hours I can mine on average 2000 saltpeter. Luck plays a big part on how often you get a deposit and how large that deposit will be. The page on UOStratics Mining is %100 true with reguards to mining saltpeter.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frodo,

Unless you are a miner that mines for ingots only or mine for ingots and saltpeter then please do not mislead people.
I had no intention of misleading anyone.
The quote from the stratics page says "Only miners with high luck can find these deposits"
This is not true, you can find niter deposits with low luck.
I did it on day one of saltpeter mining with less than 200 luck, but it was a smaller deposit.
I stand corrected on the zero luck and will no longer say such things as I never really tried with zero luck, that was only my belief because I got niter deposits at low levels.

Thank you for informing that luck increases the chance of finding a niter deposit.
When I said Of course I am sure we will see those who claim otherwise, i was referring more to the "what luck does not do" section.

From the tone of your post, you seem miffed about my post.
I do mine often for ingots, saltpeter, and stone.
I put my understandings in the post.
Thank you for correcting my misconceptions about "the chance to find a niter deposit"

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The publish notes (68.3) say:
Saltpeter is now a mineable resource – Need High Seas Entitlement

• Can be mined in dungeons and on a boat
  • Players will occasionally uncover niter deposits when mining for ore
  • Frequency of discovery and size of deposits depends on mining skill and luck
  • Mine the niter deposit to obtain saltpeter
  • Niter deposits will decay over time if not mined

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to move my mining skill to my fisher today. Hes also a decent tamer so im good to go with defense. I hate that i cant fit a fire beetle with a decent pet at sea. I think from what the previous posts have stated, i shouldnt even bother mining at sea with less than 1k luck. Ill make that my base line and let you guys know how it goes. Not sure how i can fit tons of luck onto a lrc/resist set. Ill keep you posted.