• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) City Trade Deals

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I normally support Skara because it runs a FC+1 trade deal and New Magencia for +5 SSI and try and try to do a few trade run quests runs every week to help the governors pay for the deals.

But running all these town trade deals is madness on a medium population shard.

Other players have told me that many other cites (well 3 or 4) also run FC+1. It is a great gold sink on our shard now that people are trying to keep them going by donating gold, but all these towns running the same trade deal seems a little wasteful.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I run the mana regen buff in Jhelom although right now im doing the trade deals to build the treasure so its currently turned off... a few more deals and ill have it back on... its a lot of work lol... anyone a citizen of Jhelom?

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
A few questions, if I may, about trade deals.

1) This is from UO.com. Britannia Loyalty and Councils – Ultima Online

Trade Deals Include:
  • Guild of Arcane Arts: +5% Spell Damage Increase
  • Society of Clothiers: +1% Resist bump to all resists
  • Bardic Collegium: +1 Faster Casting
  • Order of Engineers: +3 Dexterity Bonus
  • Guild of Healers: 5% Bandage Healing Bonus
  • Maritime Guild: +2 Hit Point Regeneration
  • Merchant’s Association: +2 Mana Regeneration
  • Mining Cooperative: +3 Strength Bonus
  • League of Rangers: +3 Intelligence Bonus
  • Guild of Assassins: +5% Swing Speed Increase
  • Warrior’s Guild: +5% Hit Chance Increase
There are more choices than there are governorships. If different cities are running the same trade deal, then it would seem logical to me that the deal in question is highly desirable and the city is running it in order to attract citizens to the stone. The competition then becomes about which city has the best features to keep its citizens.

Does it have a fiscally sound Governor that can ensure the reliability of the trade deal? Does its Governor represent the wishes and desires of the citizens at the Council Meetings? The King offers to grant two requests per term. I am not sure what the limitations on that are, but does the Governor take the King up on this, or ask the citizens what might be desired for the city? Is the Governor present and available to grant/change the titles for the citizens? Does the Governor make full use of the city's message board? Does the city have entertaining player events? I am not suggesting that anyone needs to do all of these things, but a Governor that is present and enjoyable company will have a far easier time encouraging players (including those who are not citizens) to run trade deals or donate funds directly to the coffers.

2) This is also from UO.com.
  • The City Treasury is subject to a daily 5% reduction above 10,000gp to pay for general City Services.
Does this mean that if the treasury has 10m in the coffers, the city is charged 500k daily? And If the coffers have 2m, then it is charged 100k daily? Just an observation here, but it seems to me that cities that are struggling are best advised to not load up the stone and then turn on the Trade Deals, but to keep the coffers as minimum as possible to run them. Unless this daily reduction is no longer in effect, or I misunderstand it.

Mathematically speaking, it would be most efficient to get 2m on the stone, pay for the trade deal, and then run the trade deals (or donate gold directly) to the stone the day before the trade deal needs to be renewed. If the city has no problem generating funds, then it would be fine to load up the coffers and let the gold sink suck a hefty toll for the sake of convenience. Since no one seems to be doing this however, perhaps my logic is in error.

Blind Otto

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem arises in HOW you top up the coffers. I can only speak for Minoc, here - others may have had different experiences.
The shadow realm takes most of my time. I find the little time I have to work on the coffers is best spent doing trade runs, rather than, say, farming resources or gold.
Trade runs deposit directly to the coffers. So, if I was to use your suggestion - build up, run the deal, wait until it runs out, build up again - we would probably be in a situation where I could run the deal for a week, turn it off for a week, run it for a week, etc.

If I was in a position to use my bank account as additional town storage, then your suggestion would probably work.
I think the solution is to petition for a 14 day week, with a ten day weekend.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think the greater problem is that it appears you are keeping the trade deal funded mostly by yourself. The system was not designed to function that way.

Running trade quests is a rather time consuming task that has only recently begun to interest me, so I'm afraid I don't know very much about it yet. I have only a few trade runs under my belt; one run netted 75k while the next was 40k. I am gonna average my math at 50k per run for simplicity.

That is 40 runs per week for one player.

But let's say Minoc had 3 additional citizens that were willing to spend a portion of their time to support their city and earn their use of the trade deal. (Or just players who wish to help you or the city.) This would make it 10 runs for 4 citizens. Or 5 runs and a cash donation of 250k, etc. These smaller numbers look a lot less daunting.

Rather than wishing we could change the system to make it easier to solo (which would be nice, but unlikely), I think it would be better to find ways to encourage Minoc to obtain civic-minded citizens. Your Player/EM collaboration event (which I assume is what is meant by the King granting 2 requests per term?) was extremely enjoyable and has caused me to take a closer look at the entire system.

As a mage, I have no use for the +3 to dex offered by Minoc's trade deal. But I enjoy the RP of the miners and the engineers. And out of all of the Governor's, past and present, that I have seen - you have put the most thought and effort into your office for the enjoyment of Siege as a whole and I enjoy supporting that. It feels like there is a great deal of negative energy at the moment, and I would love to see more of this positive energy in General Chat and on the forums :)

Blind Otto

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're quite right. And I know from time to time, I do see unexpected, but welcome, bumps to the coffers. Thank you, everyone who does this! But there is still a strong feeling that the governors should do most of the work - or perhaps my perceptions are wrong.
If I had the time to do it, I'd like to see a full town council - and I'd love the devs to give additional features, such as abilities that go with certain titles.
Town sheriff, for instance.Picture the ability to post wanted posters (with rewards) and an area, let's call it the jail, to which players can be taken, and can't teleport out of until their fine is paid, or they've done their time, or a rescue mission is mounted.
Town architect, able to slowly build a pre-defined building that the town doesn't have, by collecting resources from citizens. Maybe limited to one building a year. Supplies would also be needed to maintain such buildings.

I'd like to see governorship limited to one town per guild. That way, other guild members could take on the other roles I've suggested, but no guild would have a massive advantage over others.

And so on. They could do great things with the town governorship, but it seems to be one of those ideas that sounded good, but went practically nowhere. Still, they have a foundation - let's hope something gets built on it.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Well two more done for Moonglow and I thank those that are doing them as well, the stone is now just over 3mil.

P.S. I left some riffraff just outside Trinsic that tried to ambush me and take the shipment there, feel free to take care of that for me. They on the beach.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a terrible system, have a meeting and discuss ways to fix it for Siege. Do your jobs.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Aside from the trade deals the only purpose of the entire Governor system is RP. Granting any more power to the system would, unfortunately, result in even more abuse of the election system. As it stands, many citizens of Siege have multiple accounts, and therefor multiple votes. Guilds and alliances can spread their votes out across any number of cities they choose, to assist their guildmates or friends. Players can 'encourage' citizens from far off lands to come to Siege and cast a vote that has no meaning to them. There is no way to 'fix' this, as these are all legitimate methods of garnering votes. Just like real life politics, there is much I dislike about the system.

I really like Otto's idea of only one guild being permitted to hold an office... although that would likely result in more empty sets. In that event, THEN the King could appoint a 2nd player from the same guild. I think this is actually something that can be done to the system without discriminating against voting rights. In the end tho, people would find ways around it. I can already think of a few.

So, while it is far from a perfect system, it does have potential for a lot of fun!

Governors can grant titles, such as Sheriff or Architect. That character would have certain duties to fulfill. Perhaps search out script miners around the town. Perhaps some VvV tasks for the towns, or roles in setting up certain events. One could manage a shop or NM stall to help raise funds. This does not need to ALL fall on the Governor alone, and there are people who would enjoy these roles.

You could post 'wanted posters' of a sort by using the town bulletin board. Offer a reward for kills (with pics!), etc. Perhaps the local bears are a nuisance to the miners, so wanted posters for the largest black bear trophy!

Each shard is permitted a bit of diversity. There are decorations scattered about that make each shard unique from the others. If enough interest is generated, I think it would be possible to arrange an event where something special is permanently built in a city. Nothing that impedes traffic or blocks a house placement, just deco. Have the construction take an entire term of office maybe, with updates being delivered at monthly council meetings and all manner of stories for the delays. A garden, a statue, perhaps a small building made of stonecrafted materials by the players. Lots of ideas come to mind! These would not require any special items to be created by the EM, and I believe can be locked down permanently by PEC with permission. It seems doable.

I agree that the system could be built upon more than it is, but with some imagination and energy there is a lot that can be done with what is already there. I think the system we already have is not used anywhere near its potential.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have good ideas, when I said fix it, I meant the Town Buffs system. I don't expect Gov's to have any real game powers, but on a shard like Siege, the Gov system could be so much more than just a simple RP tool.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have good ideas, when I said fix it, I meant the Town Buffs system. I don't expect Gov's to have any real game powers, but on a shard like Siege, the Gov system could be so much more than just a simple RP tool.
They won't fix it any time soon. On Oceania which is a LOT smaller than siege we begged and begged to get the system changed to absolutely no avail as paying 2mil a week for buffs on a shard with bugger all people to even do the deals meant the governors were basically paying for the buffs out of their own pockets and it got to where noone even bothered.

We all agreed that it should be either:

1 - that the town 'buff' is 'set' by the governor, and this buff 'rotates' so that the same city doesnt always have the same buff. If you want to 'avail' yourself of the buff then you pay to use it. Citizens of a town get a 50% discount. So say FC 1 was at Moonglow, citizens would PAY each time they used the buff 50k, non-citizens could use it for 100k. Trade deals would still operate as is. Because the buffs rotated not one town could corner the market on a particular buff.

2 - the prefered option was that trade deals would operate as is and citizens of a town could 'select' what buff they wanted to use but had to pay each time they used it. So if you were a citizen of Britain you would rock up to the stone, select your 'buff' for the day, pay 50k for it. It meant all players would set allegience to a city to avail themselves of a buff and the rp scenario came in by the governors competing for citizens by offering better titles, running events etc. It was suggested that once the town had a decent 'pot' of money the governor could petition the king to provide deco for the town and nice things to have, like fountains, extra hitching posts, etc.

There are lots of things that could be done with this system but the 2mil a week is the killer and on small shards nearly impossible to maintain.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1 mil can be earned in 1 hour by 1 person running trade deals (even faster for Britain, if their WBB customization includes a moongate) assuming they've worked up to the point of 5 items per deal and know how to be effective about it. Plus you have 500k-1m in SoT's to sell. Its not hard to support a town if 2 people, who consistently give a damn, make an honest try of it.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
1 mil can be earned in 1 hour by 1 person running trade deals (even faster for Britain, if their WBB customization includes a moongate) assuming they've worked up to the point of 5 items per deal and know how to be effective about it. Plus you have 500k-1m in SoT's to sell. Its not hard to support a town if 2 people, who consistently give a damn, make an honest try of it.
Several new pinks for sale from the runs I have done so far. Others are helping and for that I thank you.

I'm still new to all the changes that have happened over the last few years so I'm not fully aware of how this City System works. How do you go about doing a trade deal for a city? Do you have to be loyal to the city to do the trade deal?

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, Buddha. You can run a trade deal for any of the towns that have a loyalty system. You go to the trade minister, accept the trade deal, fill the chest, and RUN! If you take the trade completely by foot/boat you have a chance at certain rare rewards plus a "distance bonus" is added to the gold that the origin town receives. However, the distance bonus is so negligible that if you are trying to farm quick gold for your town you are better off running to the town moongate. That way you can complete a 5-item trade deal every 2-3 minutes.

Anyway, I think UO.com explains it and gives you the location of the trade ministers. Trader Quests – Ultima Online