• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

City Elections

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pharasees: we know that you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of Fel in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to general chat. Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to use the town bonus from city elections or not?
Mervyn: Why put me to the test, you hypocrites? Show me the buffs for utilizing the trade deals.

And they showed him:
  • Guild of Arcane Arts: +5% Spell Damage Increase
  • Society of Clothiers: +1% Resist bump to all resists
  • Bardic Collegium: +1 Faster Casting
  • Order of Engineers: +3 Dexterity Bonus
  • Guild of Healers: 5% Bandage Healing Bonus
  • Maritime Guild: +2 Hit Point Regeneration
  • Merchant’s Association: +2 Mana Regeneration
  • Mining Cooperative: +3 Strength Bonus
  • League of Rangers: +3 Intelligence Bonus
  • Guild of Assassins: +5% Swing Speed Increase
  • Warrior’s Guild: +5% Hit Chance Increase
Mervyn: Who is the city govenor? And who decides?
Pharisees: Abyssal
Mervyn: Therefore render to Abyssal the things that are Abyssal's, and to Fel the things that are Fel's.
When they heard it, they marveled. And they left him and went to Trammel.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't get it either..there's interesting RP postings, and then there's weird, off the wall stuff like this...I'm assuming he's asking for Felucca City Gov's ? I'm not sure though. The fact that I have to say City, and Governors in the same sentence, pretty much describes the current state of affairs with this dev team.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The cities of Britannia in Ultima are more commonly referred to as city-states. Think of each city and X-amount of land around it as being their own state, thus 'governor' fits just fine in context.

We're just used to far more well-delineated stratifications of power and jurisdiction in our modern world with its forced segregation of "the Other" with lines on a map.

If Mervyn is angling for governors in Fel, that just isn't happening. If he wants city buffs in Fel, Kyronix has already said that may be an option for a VvV update in the future.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The cities of Britannia in Ultima are more commonly referred to as city-states. Think of each city and X-amount of land around it as being their own state, thus 'governor' fits just fine in context.

We're just used to far more well-delineated stratifications of power and jurisdiction in our modern world with its forced segregation of "the Other" with lines on a map.

If Mervyn is angling for governors in Fel, that just isn't happening. If he wants city buffs in Fel, Kyronix has already said that may be an option for a VvV update in the future.
I won't question your lore knowledge, I'm pretty sure it's better than mine. But where is this common referral as city-states taking place ? These should have been Mayorial positions...imo. Governor doesn't fit ..imo :)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I won't question your lore knowledge, I'm pretty sure it's better than mine. But where is this common referral as city-states taking place ? These should have been Mayorial positions...imo. Governor doesn't fit ..imo :)
The cities being city-states is mainly referenced in the canon Ultimas. However, Stratics does note historical references in its outdated bio of Lord British and a few other more apocryphal texts. (Search city-state using the google box on uo2.stratics.com)

While I agree that the title of Mayor would have been sufficient, I'm guessing BS wanted players to feel a bit more "important," and at the same time keep them somewhat narratively distant from the day-to-day workings of their cities. (i.e. things they couldn't, and shouldn't, give players control over.)

Being "united" city-states under a monarch (British, Dawn, Blackthorn) also gives more freedom for there to be friction, or even armed conflict, between the cities while still retaining the veneer of being "one big, happy kingdom."

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pharasees: we know that you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of Fel in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to general chat. Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to use the town bonus from city elections or not?
Mervyn: Why put me to the test, you hypocrites? Show me the buffs for utilizing the trade deals.

And they showed him:
  • Guild of Arcane Arts: +5% Spell Damage Increase
  • Society of Clothiers: +1% Resist bump to all resists
  • Bardic Collegium: +1 Faster Casting
  • Order of Engineers: +3 Dexterity Bonus
  • Guild of Healers: 5% Bandage Healing Bonus
  • Maritime Guild: +2 Hit Point Regeneration
  • Merchant’s Association: +2 Mana Regeneration
  • Mining Cooperative: +3 Strength Bonus
  • League of Rangers: +3 Intelligence Bonus
  • Guild of Assassins: +5% Swing Speed Increase
  • Warrior’s Guild: +5% Hit Chance Increase
Mervyn: Who is the city govenor? And who decides?
Pharisees: Abyssal
Mervyn: Therefore render to Abyssal the things that are Abyssal's, and to Fel the things that are Fel's.
When they heard it, they marveled. And they left him and went to Trammel.
Matthew 22:21

Good story Mervin :) always impressed

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think Mervyn is saying that the Town Bonuses have no place in PvP. I am not sure though, Mervyn could be saying the price of a cheese steak in Vesper is too high for all i know . . .