• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

christians.... get out of xmas!

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
S'not your holiday.

I think we should keep the singing, and feasting, and tree decorating. Those were actually around long before the christian hijacking.

but on December 25th... we'll tie a christian to a cedar pole, set him/her on fire, and sing.

"Catholic roasting on an open fire... seared flesh odor in your nose...."

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way I see it, anyone who believes in Jesus Christ is indeed a Christian.. A Christian is someone who is a follower of Christ, being Catholic, Mormon, etc.. Those are just religious groups..

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Christmas is a convenient time for Christians to celebrate the birth of Jesus. You're welcome to your tress, etc., but we religious folk aren't going to leave off the religious stuff. Sorry.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's convenient because it was chosen to coincide with the pagan festivals.

VERY convenient!

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It's convenient because it was chosen to coincide with the pagan festivals.

VERY convenient!
Yup. That's what happened. Same story for Easter.

I seem to remember something about Constantine deciding, "Well, folks are already decorating on these days, so we might as well tack on a religious significance."

Doesn't really bother me either way.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm glad you admit your traditions were based on nothing, and have no value because of it.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm glad you admit your traditions were based on nothing, and have no value because of it.
The dates of our traditions are based on nothing. Important distinction. :lick:

S

Stupid Miner

S'not your holiday.

I think we should keep the singing, and feasting, and tree decorating. Those were actually around long before the christian hijacking.

but on December 25th... we'll tie a christian to a cedar pole, set him/her on fire, and sing.

Doubt you'll like this, but X-mas is actually a very christian abbreviation for Christmas.
'X' corresponding to the Greek letter "Chi" (looks exactly like an 'X') which is the 'Ch' in "Christ."

You'll have to pick another letter if you want to get rid of the Christian symbolism. Maybe "Z-mas"?

xxmoondancerxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
S'not your holiday.

Get your finger outta your nose and stop eating your boogers(S'not)...Pay attention and read...

Anyway The ancient pagans, Druids, Egyptians, Chinese, and Hebrews celebrated the Winter Solstice, (Dec. 21st), the day of the year that the Sun begins its ascent in the sky, thereby ushering a fertile time of planting and bountiful harvests. Hence, the evergreen tree represented eternal life and the promise of replenishment during the cold winter months Apples and other fruit were hung upon the tree to represent the plentiful food to come. Candles were lighted to symbolize the warmth and brightness of the sun.

If you are going to state something at least back it up... Jeez..Jackass!

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way I see it, anyone who believes in Jesus Christ is indeed a Christian.
Wrong.

just believing in him is not enough. you have to live by his teachings.

that's why there are no christians anymore.. only pseudochristians that just make the rules up as the go along.

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seem to remember something about Constantine deciding, "Well, folks are already decorating on these days, so we might as well tack on a religious significance."

it wasn't a decision made lightly or on a whim.
It was decided specifically to phase out pagan tradition and replace them with christian traditions.

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Christmas is a convenient time for Christians to celebrate the birth of Jesus. You're welcome to your tress, etc., but we religious folk aren't going to leave off the religious stuff. Sorry.

You would if pagans would rise up and give you the wholesale slaughter your doctrine wrought upon them.

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doubt you'll like this, but X-mas is actually a very christian abbreviation for Christmas.
'X' corresponding to the Greek letter "Chi" (looks exactly like an 'X') which is the 'Ch' in "Christ."

You'll have to pick another letter if you want to get rid of the Christian symbolism. Maybe "Z-mas"?
how about we just kill all the Xstians instead?

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The dates of our traditions are based on nothing. Important distinction. :lick:

well now they mean nothing... because now at least most of the xstians in the world admit that Jesus was born nowhere near december 25th.
that he probably didn't anywhere near easter.

one of the few christian traditions that has actually stood the test of time is the custom of claiming something to be absolute fact until science proves it wrong.... Then it becomes "metaphor"

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get your finger outta your nose and stop eating your boogers(S'not)...Pay attention and read...

Anyway The ancient pagans, Druids, Egyptians, Chinese, and Hebrews celebrated the Winter Solstice, (Dec. 21st), the day of the year that the Sun begins its ascent in the sky, thereby ushering a fertile time of planting and bountiful harvests. Hence, the evergreen tree represented eternal life and the promise of replenishment during the cold winter months Apples and other fruit were hung upon the tree to represent the plentiful food to come. Candles were lighted to symbolize the warmth and brightness of the sun.

what is your point?

Ive never said that the solstice festival was on december 25th.
you should do some reading on Isis, and specifically the son of isis. Dates and traditions surrounding his birthday.

Couple these celebrations with winter solstice traditions and you come to the most significant time of celebration for Pagans of 2k years ago. This group of celebrations is what early christians wanted to subvert. not one specific event.

maybe you should do some reading, on your own, from sources not prescribed by church leaders. Instead of just reading one "oh its not on the same day" bs and claiming someone smarter and better read than you to be a jackass.

H

Hanna

what is your point?

Ive never said that the solstice festival was on december 25th.
you should do some reading on Isis, and specifically the son of isis. Dates and traditions surrounding his birthday.

Couple these celebrations with winter solstice traditions and you come to the most significant time of celebration for Pagans of 2k years ago. This group of celebrations is what early christians wanted to subvert. not one specific event.

maybe you should do some reading, on your own, from sources not prescribed by church leaders. Instead of just reading one "oh its not on the same day" bs and claiming someone smarter and better read than you to be a jackass.
Actually the winter soltice and festival was on Dec 25th according to the Julian calander that was in use at the time. That's why Dec 25th was used.

Most cultures celibrated the soltice. However, the evergreen was purely a German tradition, that migrated into the holiday as the germans imigrated into other countries.

Also, don't tie all christians to the "Roman" catholic church. That church was highjacked and perverted by the Roman Empire several centuries after chistianity started.

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most cultures celibrated the soltice. However, the evergreen was purely a German tradition, that migrated into the holiday as the germans imigrated into other countries.
ummm... no.

the earliest version of the "christmas tree" as it is now called stemmed from early pagan worship of the sun goddess (Isis, Ester, Astarte, Ashera etc depending on who you talk to) and her son, Nimrod.

After Nimrods death, his mother (also her husband in most tradition) a fully grown evergreen tree sprouted from a dead stump overnight. Worshipers believed that Nimrod would henceforth visit evergreen trees and leave gifts under them for believers.

that is the earliest recorded version of the "christmas tree"

H

Hanna

ummm... no.

the earliest version of the "christmas tree" as it is now called stemmed from early pagan worship of the sun goddess (Isis, Ester, Astarte, Ashera etc depending on who you talk to) and her son, Nimrod.

After Nimrods death, his mother (also her husband in most tradition) a fully grown evergreen tree sprouted from a dead stump overnight. Worshipers believed that Nimrod would henceforth visit evergreen trees and leave gifts under them for believers.

that is the earliest recorded version of the "christmas tree"
Actually no, that may be a record of someone using a tree (and it didn't have to be an evergreen) in some kind ceremony, but the evergreen did not become associated with christmas til much later AC in Germany.

smip

Slightly Crazed
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
S'not your holiday.

I find that your post and our banner is VERY offensive... (reported)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find everything smip does to be terribly offensive. Called 911.

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that would infer that the battle was over.

Christianity, along with all organized religion, will eventually go away.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
belief in satan is as ludicrous as belief in god.
The belief of a physical and literal sense of Satan is ludicrous I agree.

It's fun to offend people who are close-minded Christian bible thumpers.

I'm not an antagonist with religious beliefs, but if I hear some ridiculous claims and statements made by one of them I have to stop myself from kicking their heads in.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taken over by whoever replaces Christianity as the "dominant" religion.

N

Nestorius

You disagree with Mishkam that organized religion will eventually go away?

N

Nestorius

What will the replacement be? Are you talking about something like a mutating/evolving of traditional or current religions? Islamo-wicca, for example?

Or by 'religion' do you mean what has highest social veneration, like Science, the State, the Market, or Television or some other sort of social phenemon?