• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Chat Channel for Catskills RP

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahoy crew,

I'm not shure if everyone is aware of this, so I am posting it:

Many role players on Catskills use a common chat channel called "RP Community". I recommend to set this channel as your default so you can chat across guilds. I did so on all my characters. Also, try to keep conversation out of this channel that is not relevant to the rest of the community, so people don't receive too much spam on their screen.

P.S.: To communicate through the chat channel you have to type ","

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same command for both clients, by the way.

And until now, there's quite a bit of conversation that isn't directly related to the RP-Community. But yeah, unimportant chat should be kept to a minimum.

So far, it has worked very well for me for finding "random" encounters.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, maybe this wasn't such a good suggestion after all. Unfortunately, this channel is not used for any in-game interguild chat, but as a babble channel for people who are bored. Since 90% of the time my screen gets spammed with things I do not want to hear, I left the channel again.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This happened to me last night. We were having a tavern night, but it seemed like all people wanted to do was chat in the channel and not in game and interact.

I tried to address this, but it proved to be futile. Aedon got defensive and it wasn't even about him, he had not been a participant in the tavern. I was disappointed.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This happened to me last night. We were having a tavern night, but it seemed like all people wanted to do was chat in the channel and not in game and interact.

I tried to address this, but it proved to be futile. Aedon got defensive and it wasn't even about him, he had not been a participant in the tavern. I was disappointed.
I was the person you were trying to address IC but at the time I was trying to fix my web browser as the computer I'm using is literally 9 years old and has frequent problems with browser connectivity, Upon trying to explain this you took it as me only reading chat I'm assuming which I was barely doing as I was trying to keep up in my journal when I could.

There was a fair amount of IC Text going on too that I know covered up some of what you said so I had to go back on it which takes time, I think what everyone is lacking is patience.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have four grandchildren, patience isn't the problem. Its respect. I would not have minded if you and I discussed this over the channel as adults, as I was addressing you. What I did mind was Aedon chiming in to something he was not part of and telling me to "back the hell off".

I read this message posted and took the idea of the channel just as Hawkeye described it. Its not for idle chit chatting about Snoopy. As far as Pand has told me, that's not why Thom and her initiated the channel. It was to help coordinate in game RP events and happenings.

Again, I have no problem with you. You and I can address things like adults and I am fine with open discussion. I would rather NOT just "sweep things under the rug" either. Let's talk about it open and honestly, without insults.

Agreed?

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have four grandchildren, patience isn't the problem. Its respect. I would not have minded if you and I discussed this over the channel as adults, as I was addressing you. What I did mind was Aedon chiming in to something he was not part of and telling me to "back the hell off".

I read this message posted and took the idea of the channel just as Hawkeye described it. Its not for idle chit chatting about Snoopy. As far as Pand has told me, that's not why Thom and her initiated the channel. It was to help coordinate in game RP events and happenings.

Again, I have no problem with you. You and I can address things like adults and I am fine with open discussion. I would rather NOT just "sweep things under the rug" either. Let's talk about it open and honestly, without insults.

Agreed?
Sure if you want to talk about it to me My Icq can be gotten from almost anyone in the RP community including Pandora. And may be available in my stratics profile (not sure), I don't post it in public forums for obvious reasons since I already get alot of junk, When adding my if the name isn't the same as one of you're characters please state a character name I'm familiar with in the reason to add box so I know it's not some random spammer is really all I ask. In this case Bianca solderini, Umm I forgot how your characters last name goes.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think our idea of this channel slightly differs from other people's opinion:

The RP community channel is for just that purpose, the community. We use it to talk ooc most evenings. This chat is a great tool to keep those of us who RP connected and a better outlet for chit chat then saying in brackets (ooc I have to go grab a smoke,. BRB)

As I understand it alliance chat can be kept free of any annoying chit chat.

I am sorry if this is unacceptable to a few of you, but as for myself, and those who enjoy having a channel to talk to one another, I will continue to use it as I see fit.
Some people like to use UO as a general chat program and discuss dogs, their children and whatnot there. *shrugs* We can't change anything about it. It also tells me a lot of things about how people play UO these days.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can give her your ICQ, Rotep. But there is no reason for her to not address it with you in the chat channel, at that moment is there?

No one should have told her to "back the hell off" (I wasn't there so, I can't say if that's what was said or not) when they were not part of the conversation. Don't you agree?

As for that channel, I was there with Thom when she came up with the idea and I was the first to join it. We had been discussing it in ICQ for a while right before its creation. And the initial premise of the channel was just as Pike stated above. Do I chit chat in it? Yes! For sure... Rotep knows this. Do I interrupt someone's event by using it excessively during their event? No, that's rude and very distracting imo.

Aedon can use it how he wants as it is a public channel, but if people start endlessly chatting away during folks' events, I am dropping the channel and instructing my guildies to do the same if they experience similar situations.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who was talking about events?

If my screen gets spammed with messages that neither concern nor interest me nor have anything to do with UO, I turn the chat channel of. Which renders the channel useless. It should thus be renamed from "RP Community" to "Private Babbble".

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree Pike and to be honest, this is something that Thom and Pand were discussing in ICQ one day not too long ago and then Thom made the channel, its not something "old and immovable" that we're asking for some cooperation on. I do not understand the inability to cooperate and work together. If someone in the community is asking, "hey can we cut the chatter down a bit" why do we have to see so much rigidness?

*shakes head*

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is one of those issues which one side or the other will pretty much have to give on.

And Pike's solution of don't use it if you can't keep up is probably the best.

The thing is, some people think of the RP community channel as only a place to do the roleplaying, while others think of it as a place to be a community. So I would expect a degree of "whazzup" "How's the wife and kids" and "I'm bored." (Though how people can be bored in game, I'll never know!)

Do some people take it too far? Yes.
Will they stop? Well, they haven't after so many years (just check out their guild-chat sometimes), they likely won't stop now.

Unless we can moderate the channel, there really isn't anything we can do about it except for avoid it when we can't keep up and have a guild representative (spy!) paying attention to who says they're where.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed, Farsight.

I talked to Pand, and she told me to just drop it because people will not cooperate too easily on this shard. So Pand gave us another option: CoD will have their own chat channel for coordinating messages while hosting events. This channel will be used to relay RL messages while doing in-game RP events.

The rest of the time CoD members will be part of the RP Community channel, should they choose to.

:)