• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Character Art.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
again, look at what I was responding to...and you will have reason why it expanded in that direction it did...at that time. I didnt pull the comment because I stick by what I said. Was what I said mean? hell no...

EX: would you buy a car made by a guy who knew he was getting fired? of course you wouldnt...but the problem is...if you didnt know he was getting fired...would you be able to make that choice? why would you think that art is any different?
All I am saying is CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM is the better way to go. Not calling it a turd. Had you said "add some shading here" or "make the hair a little more distinct" then no one would have fussed at you to the extent that they did. That's like my making the little baked clay hand print for my mother when I was in grade school and her saying it was a piece of crap and throwing it in the garbage (she did not do that and still has them to this day) but you see my point. It's hurtful.

EDIT: I whole heartedly believe in mentoring...not taking someone's face and rubbing it in the dirt (telling them that their accomplishments mean nothing) I guess that's the "mom" in me.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I am saying is CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM is the better way to go. Not calling it a turd. Had you said "add some shading here" or "make the hair a little more distinct" then no one would have fussed at you to the extent that they did. That's like my making the little baked clay hand print for my mother when I was in grade school and her saying it was a piece of crap and throwing it in the garbage (she did not do that and still has them to this day) but you see my point. It's hurtful.

EDIT: I whole heartedly believe in mentoring...not taking someone's face and rubbing it in the dirt (telling them that their accomplishments mean nothing) I guess that's the "mom" in me.
well...you do have a point...but I have never been known for subtlety. i do however think that what i said can be taken in many ways...or simply taken verbatim. most chose the latter...cant help that now...*shrugs*

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
since people here keep arguing about...whats right and not right about the picture, can someone tell me how to post images so that i can ...show what parts of the picture are anatomically incorrect, i mean there IS a difference between intentionally going for "unrealistic art" and having a "style" and simply not knowing enough about what you are doing to draw something right.

most of the time people who say they intentionally get the angle of something wrong, or intentionally put the leg in a place where it seems like its growing out of the side of the hip are making excuses because they really just dont know what they are doing....

as for the anime remark, almost all anime that are not going for a "caricature style of drawing" exaggerated or not, have anatomically correct bodies..sure the legs or arms may be longer than they should be but at least things are coming out of where they should be coming out from ..or things are stylized but the arms are where they should be, the legs are where they should be, and things arnt floating out of nowhere that makes anyone whos got any idea of how the body looks like to go ???

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
since people here keep arguing about...whats right and not right about the picture, can someone tell me how to post images so that i can ...show what parts of the picture are anatomically incorrect, i mean there IS a difference between intentionally going for "unrealistic art" and having a "style" and simply not knowing enough about what you are doing to draw something right.

most of the time people who say they intentionally get the angle of something wrong, or intentionally put the leg in a place where it seems like its growing out of the side of the hip are making excuses because they really just dont know what they are doing....

as for the anime remark, almost all anime that are not going for a "caricature style of drawing" exaggerated or not, have anatomically correct bodies..sure the legs or arms may be longer than they should be but at least things are coming out of where they should be coming out from ..or things are stylized but the arms are where they should be, the legs are where they should be, and things arnt floating out of nowhere that makes anyone whos got any idea of how the body looks like to go ???
If I am getting your post correctly, that would be a hard question to answer without taking an art class of some sort. I am not an artist so I have no idea, but maybe some of the other UHallers could help you? Just seems like a question not easily answered on a chat forum. You would need true instruction. If I am not reading what you wrote properly, then I apologize.

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well isnt it fortunate that i..took figure drawing courses for like 4 years, i just need to know how to post images on this forum then i can really quickly show what is anatomically incorrect with the drawing

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well isnt it fortunate that i..took figure drawing courses for like 4 years, i just need to know how to post images on this forum then i can really quickly show what is anatomically incorrect with the drawing
Ohhhh now I see. I did NOT read your post correctly lol Someone else will have to take this one because I am already late for work. Gluck!

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All this talk about "mistakes" in art reminded me of L'Ecole Polytechnique Monument or, as it is more commonly refered to the French Monument, at the United States Military Academy. This is a statue presented to West Point and the Corps of Cadets by L'Ecole Polytechnique. It contains four errors which must be known and recited by Plebes upon command by an Upperclassman.

1. Curved Saber - Straight Scabbard
2. Winbd blowing flag in one direction, coat tails in another
3. Cannonballs are too large for the bore of the cannon
4. Button Unbuttoned

Attachments

S

Smokin

You can do better perhaps?
Possibly, but I do not do that style of art its not my cup of tea. Also I lost any ambition along time ago. My easel sits empty in my art room and has for years, maybe one day I will pick up my brush again. I don't mind pencil sketching once and awhile but that is about it.

Anyhow I said it was ok and a bit amateur but not really my style. Its not like I said it was crap.

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oook so i finally posted an image heres what i think concerning the anatomical structure of this picture. if someone here who knows more about anatomy that i do finds fault with my analysis, feel free to photoshop the image further..

about the foot it appears to be tilted to the side is he actually resting the foot on something or is the foot raised up? is the bump on the other side a knee? if so how exactly is he even standing? if its not a knee then what is it? robes dont just hump out at a sharp angle like that even if there is wind. especially since the wind appears to be blowing back since the cape is billowing backwards

the shading on his left arm makes it look like its bending backwards

also its either his hips are too high or they are in the right place but either way the legs are just placed in a strange position. If his hips are in the right place then where exactly does his upper thigh fit into all this?
whoever drew this just drew a robe and kinda made two bumps to indicate knees and placed a foot in a random position at the bottom.

i actually tried posing in the manner he was standing and its frankly speaking impossible. youd fall over

actually there is one other explanation as to whats going on in the picture, hes levitating and that would explain whats going on with the fold in the blue part of the robe on the lower left side and his leg is crossed but that still doesnt explain whats going on with his right leg

and this is just anatomical issues, i havnt even talked about whats wrong with the lighting and shadows on the clothing yet either...

of course none of this had anything to do with the artist's intentions..if something is wrong..its wrong. it may have been an artist's intention to draw him in a pose where he has one leg raised upon a stone but that does not mean the artist had what it takes to pull it off in a believable manner

L

longshanks

Awhile back I commissioned a piece of work for my UO character.

I would like to share it with you all as I think it's brilliant. Also, there is no longer a pics forum so I brought it here.

*I would like to note that I am obviously biased, as it is MY character, looking awesome.

unquote

i dont see any request from the poster that his drawing be critiqued.

i think you all need to go get out in the sunshine.

its a cartoon drawing.

i'm going to start a new post as to why spiderman can beat up superman.

:coco:

S

Smokin

Its funny you mention the part about you personally trying to stand in that position. That is how I always figured out how to position bodies and body parts when I was learning years ago. Even way back in grade school, my classmates would say what the heck are you doing, while I was moving around or looking at my hand weird.

Anyway, I have noticed with my recent comic books that I have just started buying again. It seems a lot of the artists forget to draw things that are possible with the body. I don't know why. Maybe they figure its a comic book and who cares, maybe its deadlines.

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its funny you mention the part about you personally trying to stand in that position. That is how I always figured out how to position bodies and body parts when I was learning years ago. Even way back in grade school, my classmates would say what the heck are you doing, while I was moving around or looking at my hand weird.

Anyway, I have noticed with my recent comic books that I have just started buying again. It seems a lot of the artists forget to draw things that are possible with the body. I don't know why. Maybe they figure its a comic book and who cares, maybe its deadlines.
yea i find that personally posing before i actually draw something is pretty important since just sketching a "pose skeleton" doesnt really work out all the time. there could still be a lot of potential problems when you only do that..and its not like i have a model or reference in front of me whenever i need one. so say..if i want to draw someone with a hand stretching out and coming towards me like in that picture id have to stand in front of a mirror first to see where the position of my elbow or shoulder would be and in what angle my upper or lower body would tilt.

edit
the image i posted is viewable right?