• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fencing] Changing Primary Melee Skill

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Okay, thought looooong and hard on this, but have decided my paladin (basically, moi) is going to change from using swords to using spears - thus needing to change my skill set.

What is the best way to work this and still be able to hunt and such?
My skills are pretty tight so not much juggle room.

Any suggestions?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not totally sure what you're asking here. Just grab a soulstone and take off swords, start raising fencing?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Not totally sure what you're asking here. Just grab a soulstone and take off swords, start raising fencing?
Agree with this. Just buy a 120 Fencing Scroll, get 40 fencing off New Have and use the fast gain quest to 50. Then go off and kill things. I like lizardmen in Fel Despise (upper floor) to 75-80. Then earth elementals in Blackthorns to 100. Then I always us Yomatsu Warriors in the Mines, but there may be a better way in Blackthorn's Dungeon now.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I suggest to use WW against Raptors in Ter Mur from 70 to 100. You can easily collect large group. There a lot of gold in loot so you may take a bag of sending with you. Also you can collect Raptor teeth.
From 100 I prefer High Plains Boura for Boura Pelts.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ahh, thanks! totally brain farted on the soulstone thing! maybe cos I lost mine some time ago... I'll go buy a small one and bank it.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stone it off... Get some Jewls to get ya to 80.. 15 ring and brace... Cheap to craft or find via vendor search on some shards. Then.. Get a wolf spider i prefer golem.. Get a 100%poison weapon.. Or have someone imbued you a nice fast ubws one for future use... For all weapon skills but archery and throwing... Stone over tink for golem so you can heal with tinker your golem...

Work to 95.. Drop ring.... Work to 95 again drop brace. Now Ur 80 real. Work to 120 on golem. Stone tink back to craafter. Done.

Toss in a few fast gain scrolls... Done quicker. Do this while you watch tv... And catch up on such shows as walking dead. or breaking bad... Or sons of anarchy. Be done in a day.. And start hunting.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Kirthag if this is on Napa let me know if you need a wolf spider tamed and a poison weapon if you decide to go that route. Though I like the idea of training in Blackthorns dungeon, hit the luck statue before going and you'll probably pull a few minax artifacts in the process.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck has no effect on drop rate with my many many days and weeks and months of testing minax drop rate.

140 luck...
1200 luck
Max...

Average not doing champ... Just killing.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'd do up to 60 in Haven (50 from the quest, 60 on the ettins), then go kill hellhounds in Blackthorn up to 75.
Move to golden elementals up to 100 then hit the rotting corpse to 110 and the exodus minions room to 120.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I'd personally stone it off unless I already had Swords on a stone already.

I wonder if a UBWS Fencing weapon would allow you to gain Fencing while using the Swords. Probably not.

Anyway from 0, I'd buy to 40 in New Haven, take the accelerated gains quest to 50, then jewel up and use whatever passes for a golem these days to cap.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ubws.. Weapons work for any fighting skill... Except archer or throwing.

So you can use a ubws kryss for example and gain.. Fencing..swords.. Mace....

But.. If you have gm swords you can still gain Fencing.. Lol but i know what Ur getting at... Maybe train three at once... Or use your hit chance from gm swords to quicken Ur fencing...

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I doubt that would work. Mage weapon works similar to UBWS, but you will only gain magery when using it, unless your magery skill is lower than the skill tied to the weapon.
Say, if you have 50 swords and 40 magery and equip a -20 mage weapon, you will gain swords with each swing. If you have 20 or less swords skill, you will gain magery with each swing.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I believe it is not surprising that you gain skill which you use. When you fight with UBWS you use highest skill of fencing/sword/mace. It is exactly the same what happens when you use mage weapon.

So:
With Mage Weapon you gain highest (modified) of mage and weapon
With UBWS you gain highest (modified) of fencing/sword/mace

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I've stoned my swords. I'm so tight on skills I don't think I could have a UBWS to gain on. I have a couple of them, but it wouldn't matter as I cannot have fencing & swords at the same time without dropping any of my other skills.

I will say on another toon who uses a UBWS kryss that she is only gaining in Fencing, no other skill is being affected. If she switches to a UBWS katana, she gains swords. You will only gain on the primary skill of a UBWS.

soooo... yeah.

Bought up to 40 Fencing, running amok in New Haven. I helped out a [young] player - so it is serving a purpose. :)

Thanks for the offer @Lord Taliesin on the spider/poison route, but nah. I'll gain up in New Haven, then when I hit about 60 or so will go venture in Blackthorn's basement, or hit up the Abyss.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I reckon Blackthorn is your best option. I have done it a few times and walked out with at least 40 to 50 minax arties before I was done training.