• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Changes To Dropbox

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got an email from dropbox that said (I think) all links to public folders will no longer work after March.
So does this mean we have to go back to each thread where we had a public folder link and replace it with a new link?
I think a lot of content is about to disappear from these forums. I hope I'm wrong and misread the email.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not really sure what you mean either.

Can you be more specific?

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Images that are not uploaded but only linked to (to a dropbox folder) may disappear.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dropbox is getting rid of public folders - which most of us used to share FILES or programs etc with other stratics members. From what I understand the files will not disappear but the links will stop working.
This will also impact anyone (as said above) that linked a jpeg or bitmap or other picture file used in their profile.
Here is a copy of the email

Hi AJ,

This is a reminder that your Public folder links will become inactive on March 15. On that date, your Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and your files will remain safe in your account. If you want to share those files again, you’ll need to use shared links instead.

The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we’ve built more sophisticated ways for you to share securely and work together with your team. In addition to shared links, we have a number of sharing options designed to make collaboration easier and give you more control.

We understand these sharing methods are not a direct replacement for the Public folder in some cases—we apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. For more information on transitioning from the Public folder to shared links, visit our Help Center.

- The Dropbox Team

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jep basically the public folder of dropbox works like a webhost serving files.. with the change you are required to share each file individually, i am pretty sure they will need to be refreshed, though i think the new links will be permanent too (well until they decide to change the things)