• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Chances CPU is still good ?

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I would greatly appreciate it if you could advise on what to replace, I do not have test box for CPU MB.

Equipment in question : CPU / MB. I7 860 on MSI P55 GD80

Have verified no fans are shorted, PSU is good, GPU’s both good. All fans (or any combination thereof) and CD rom good.

Problem : Pepsi Max intrusion through top blowholes in PC Case. Suspect contact , just about anywhere it was powered on and running.
Definite contact gpu socket area, and cpu socket area.

Cleanup : 91 IPA, new nylon toothbrush, hairdryer.(disassembly, wipedown)

Current Symptoms : upon power up, stayed in BIOS for approximately 45 secs while I reset things, just getting ready to reboot, and got a “click” from Power Supply and all black. No smoke, no smell, I can see no blown caps, or burn marks. Power supply tester shows all good with a PG signal of about 270-290ms all voltages in spec.

Dissasembled again, cleaned CPU socket, possibly making it worse?, Current Symptoms part 2 : With only long ATX plug onboard, all fans, and drives begin to spin up, and some lights on MB come on, the 2 digit readout for troubleshooting never lights or displays, the indicator showing power phase of cpu does, this all happens for about .5 secs. Then power down, no click, not quite long enough for fans to spin down, and “reboot” cycle again. This continues from 1st press of power button, until I physically switch off Power Supply.

Symptoms Part 3: With 8pin Aux Pwr also connected, (the one located very close to CPU socket), I only get click from Pwr supply, and a single yellow light on MB (standby light). To best of my knowledge this click is safety relay on Pwr Supply. It is an XFX branded (Seasonic internals I believe) 850W.

I am fairly sure, due to corrosion concerns, I should replace MB as a minimum, from my description can you make a determination on CPU/MB failure conditions ? My best guess at this point is CPU good, but CPU socket or something running across it, is shorted.

-DOM:cursing:

Lavits

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The symptoms you are describing sound like a motherboard issue. But then again you had a liquid spill on the pc. There are alot of things to consider in this instance.

Now after the second cleanup are you still able to pass POST and get into the bios? If not I would first recomend replacing the motherboard. Because in 99.9% of issues with spillage it does go out considering the number of electrical pathways on a standard motherboard chance s are you completed an electrical circuit somewhere.

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think you are correct. Simply due to corrosion concern/future problems I ordered up a new MB and CPU. Couldnt find a new or used P55 GD80 anywhere, so bit the bullet and went socket 1155 upgrade. Could have been worse and taken gfx cards or others pieces too.

I have always shyed away from H2O cooling, in fear of leakage. That and actually surpassing the best air coolers is not cheap. Thanks for getting back to me.

-DOM

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
water only surpasses air when clocking.
normal non clocked state ususally favors air believe it or not.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would say if you can boot into bios, the CPU is probably fine. but obviously no guarentees, but CPUs are generally very picky and need perfect condition to be able to do anything.

my money is on motherboard issue as well.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem : Pepsi Max intrusion through top blowholes in PC Case.
I have always considered holes in the top of a PC case to be a bad idea. Too many things can find it's way down into the case. If you aren't ready to replace the case, I would cover them up.

For this reason I don't like UPS's with outlets on the top either. I always buy UPS's with the outlets on the back, where God intended them. :p