• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Catskills vs Siege

Phantroneous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey everyone ive only been back to Ultima for a little around 2months i think....
i play on catskills and siege.... lately more of siege quite a bit more....

I realy dont find any fun here on cats..... everyone seems to own everything and that realy annoying to me since i dont own anything realy here.... i have a few cursed artys from grimmy (reaper) that was like 2yrs ago.... i know i have missed some events but i cant seem to find a real reason to log into Catskills maybe if i can get some imput from you guys itll give me a reason or somthing....

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catskills =
More RP opportunites
More people to play with
Better pirates
Insurance
Friday night hunts, Wed Doom night
Easier access to better gear
Multiple characters

Siege =
Higher risk
No insurance
Only one character
Thieves

Play wherever you have more fun. Try to join a Friday night hunt some time though, they're a real kick in the tail.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't get me wrong, I love cats, and it has been my home shard since day one, but this:
Siege =
Higher risk
No insurance
Only one character
Thieves
could also be exactly the reasons you would want to play Siege. I have 2 characters on siege (one on each of my accounts), but I rarely play there because it's just too much work. On Siege you are really scraping to eek out a living, On Cats you can get by easier and get to the actual playing and enjoying the game. Catskills has a better community in terms of number of players. Siege is a very close knit community (which is nice), but Catskills just has them beat when it comes to numbers. Thats not to say there are not some close knit communities on Catskills as well. I have never had the pleasure of knowing such a great group of people until I joined the guild I'm in. While the folks on Siege (for the most part) are very friendly and willing to help new players, I have never played on any shard that comes close to the caring and generosity of the folks on Cats.

Both Siege and Catskills are great shards, but for ease of play, and sheer enjoyment, I prefer Catskills. As Farsight mentioned, try out some of the weekly events, and meet some people. That can drastically change the way you see a shard, and the enjoyment you get from playing there.

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't buy the hype. I'm an 11+ year Cats vet and I started playing Siege a few months ago; I have logged onto Cats exactly 3 times since then. All three times, I logged in, thought to myself "man this SUCKS" and then logged out. :sad4:

Prodo shards just plain stink. There is NO risk involved. What fun is that? REALLY? After awhile it becomes like playing a fun video game in godmode: at first it's pretty fun but eventually it just gets boring. Community is great and all but at some point, you're going to want to actually PLAY UO. That's where Siege comes in. :bowdown:

Phantroneous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im sure getting with the right group of people is key for any type of online gaming but the issue becomes when everyone has everything or close to it.... i myself have barely anything on cats so its kinda annoying... close knit guilds.... i realy havent seen any on cats what guilds are you referring to?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good guilds to interact with are:
GRI, SnR, D|R (don't tell them I said so!), TF&F and any allies of any of those guilds.

Lately GRI and SnR (parts of and alliance) have been a lot of fun for me. And not everyone has everything. We're nearly always around Haven if you want to join us for a hunt or a chat or whatever.

C

Callie

If you haven't found close knit folks to hang around with on Cats....then you clearly haven't been hanging around the same places I have. IF you feel that PVP is the only way to experience and "play UO" then, by all means, SP might be for you. But if interaction and group hunts and activities are what you are looking for, then Cats is the place to be. Every Wednesday night is a Gauntlet Run for Doom. Just ask around, how many different guilds came out this past Wednesday? And did we have a good time? YOU BET!!

Almost every Friday night, there are Friday night hunts. Open shard invite to come. At least come give it a try.

B

Branwyn of Errol

Yes by all means give the group hunts a try on Wednesdays and/or Fridays. We will have our Friday night hunt tonight (see other thread ), perhaps to Doom or champ spawn otherwise.
On Catskills the Senior Citizens of Britannia Guild is allied with several other guilds who enjoy community activities and we take an active role on Friday nights. On Siege we are a Minor House (Silverwood) in Gilfane Guild which is a member of the White Council.
We love the unique melodrama and community spirit which result from the ruleset of SP where we spend most of our play time these days. And Seige is definately not like prodo shard Felucca at all. We enjoy the fun of activities on Cats with old and new friends. And some of us play only in one place or the other.
I completely agree that UO can become totally boring if the focus is just on farming gold and getting uber stuff. PvP (roleplayed or otherwise)is big on SP but so is all sorts of crafting, merchandising, and PvM hunts. Cats has some roleplayed PvP and a bit more focus on PvM. Like all prodo shards, character creation and developement is more item based than skill based but not everyone on Cats is into powergaming. You can have a good time without all that stuff and chances are if you have need of certain template enhancing items there are folks who will give it to you (I found this true both on Cats and SP.)
Enjoy the game whereever you play it:D

Phantroneous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i try to enjoy the game i just seem to find myself on when most of the people i know are not... i dont know much about catskills these days its been a while since i realy went out and did anything on cats but thats also because of my skill levels which blow tremendously on catskills i have maybe two chars that can do anything a warrior and a mage thats all so its difficult for me to do anything either way.... ive never been much of a farmer or somone who trains all day and night and becuase of that i have litteraly no money and little skills so doing things is a bit difficult..... i dont believe everything is about pvp anyhow.... and i dont enjoy farming like alot of people so im kinda stuck in the middle the only thing i realy love to do is roleplay it always is fun besides in Ultima supposed to be a mmorpg?