• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Catskill's Mage Duel Tournament

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Announcing Syndicate's Mage Duel Tournament on Feburary 27th at 9 pm EST !

(we will have runes and gates from Luna and Yew Gate)

We will be hosting our first mage duel event at our new Fel house which is located in the middle of our guild's town across from Marble Island...

This will be an old school duel set-up:

Elves are now allowed!, no summons, no friend casting Cleansing Winds!

Spellbook and lantern in hand. 12 HPR MAX

There will be a 10m entry fee per Mage and we will pay 3rd place 10m, 2nd -20m, and 1st will get the rest of the entry fees... we take nothing to host tourney...

Anyone seen casting or throwing Potions from the sidelines or fighting outside of the Pit will be banned from the house and forfeit their entry fee. Anyone killing people coming and going from the Fight Club house will forfeit their ENTIRE guild from participating in the event!

No gold will be needed at the event: I'll have a vendor set up with books for contestants to buy and will in turn give out vendors to the winners to take prize money that way!

I have invited our EM's to attend this event as well, so hopefully we will have a great showing....

(please know that there will be no accusations of cheats/hacks etc. during this event. if you do not feel you can compete b/c of an accused cheater, then please do not enter the tourney)

Any questions or comments, please contact me at Q495659440

V

Victoria Navarre

Couple of questions...first,why no elves? Second,what if only a few enter? This means that the 2nd place finisher could get a better payout than the "winner".

Slickjack

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll personally make up the difference if only 4 enter, for example. Next, elves have higher energy resist and a mana bonus, so to keep it even it is "no elves"....

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just for clarification...

So elves cannot compete, but those with faction artifacts -can- ?

Slickjack

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I havent had a single person that has told me they were competing that ISNT in factions. Until someone actually says they are, then this is a non-issue.

SDI cap, casting cap, etc. is the same for factions and non-faction players.

Obviously having 75 energy is not the same as 70 for human. It's either all human or all elf and most Ive seen of already play human characters.

This is a pure mage type deal anyway, you'd want Inscription and Focus for this type deal.....

If you can't follow these reasons or disagree, then you certainly don't have to participate.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I had been planning on entering my non faction mage, but guess I have the night off now. *grins* I dont fancy a fight against another mage in non faction gear vs a faction suit.

And perhaps stating that it was a pure mage only deal on the first post would have been a good way to go about it.

Just my two cents.

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I plan on coming on a non faction char. (waiting out stat to duel again doesn't seem fun). Their added MR seems a bit of an advantage tho.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I havent had a single person that has told me they were competing that ISNT in factions. Until someone actually says they are, then this is a non-issue.
It is an issue if you want others from outside of Catskill's to transfer over.

SDI cap, casting cap, etc. is the same for factions and non-faction players.
yet a faction crystalline has 3fcr...a plain one does not. a faction orny gives three extra regen...a plain one does not.

Obviously having 75 energy is not the same as 70 for human. It's either all human or all elf and most Ive seen of already play human characters.
no...I agree with you there...however with the bonuses from faction items and your willingness to having a *fair* tourney...I don't see why 5 resist and 20 mana more is really an issue.

If you can't follow these reasons or disagree, then you certainly don't have to participate.
yep...guess I will gtfo.

Slickjack

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, this is my first tournament to host and my inexperience is showing. There is no way around having faction players in the tourney, they of course are the bulk of pvpers. Also, the caps are the caps on casting, so the fact the faction crystalline has extra is moot. The MR of course is favoring the factioneers, but with imbuing, most ppl that would be entering a comp like this will have a badass suit anyways.

The complaints you all have brought up are completely unsolvable by me or anyone else.

Now, here is what I did wrong for sure. The term "pure Mage" is so foreign to me that I just forgot it's importance when writing the post. I apologize for this. That being said I have already received entry fees from 6 ppl and have been messages by 5 others confirming their involvement. A few from great lakes are in this bunch.

Anything else I'm forgetting? Please let me know! I ain't perfect folks!

N

Nastia Cross

Its too bad that EA hasn't instituted the "stats" feature that we see on the Test Center shards wherein you can highlight a player and their suit stats will show. This would go a long way for a tournament like this. The last mage tournament that I attended there was a time limit for each duel of one minute and after that minute if there wasn't a winner, the duelers would have to strip down and be given a bag of regs. Also, you might want to specify templates. Some people believe that mage dueling should allow poison as a skill, some people do not. Others don't think necromancy or SW should be allowed. Since its your tournament, its up to you how to run it how you see fit.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The complaints you all have brought up are completely unsolvable by me or anyone else.

Anything else I'm forgetting? Please let me know! I ain't perfect folks!
The solution is simply to allow all pure mage chars, and all items. Put a cap on HPR and insist on empty backpack at the beginnings of each match.

I was not trying to be a poop...just trying to help you get more people Slickjack. I was interested myself till you said no elf...since that is the only type of char I have on shard.

Anyway...good luck with the tournament and to all who have entered.

RRC

C

Corvak

Yeah I really got used to that feature on test and during the SA beta phase last summer.

Also remember that you can look at someones suit easily if you're running Enhanced client.

Slickjack

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
WOOT! I got emails from both Kasaven and Cern that they will do their best to attend the MAGE tourney and we are discussing how they can help out....

I have spoken to a few ppl about the rules in place and there seems to be a general concensus about HPR as well that I didn't know about. Most are thinking of a 12 HPR cap for the event. I also like the time constraints mentioned as well.

I will edit the original post as soon as all of the kinks have worked themselves out and look forward to the EMs presence and all of the ppl that will be visiting from other shards for the event!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WOOT! I got emails from both Kasaven and Cern that they will do their best to attend the MAGE tourney and we are discussing how they can help out....

I have spoken to a few ppl about the rules in place and there seems to be a general concensus about HPR as well that I didn't know about. Most are thinking of a 12 HPR cap for the event. I also like the time constraints mentioned as well.

I will edit the original post as soon as all of the kinks have worked themselves out and look forward to the EMs presence and all of the ppl that will be visiting from other shards for the event!
so...factions are in...but elves are still out? rolleyes:

Slickjack

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Um, I'm getting feedback in the elf issue and it will be addressed by Monday so all will have time to come over.... Also, there is a Fel event on Friday nite before the tourney so it really could be worthwhile for a holiday on Catskills!

N

Nastia Cross

Also remember that you can look at someones suit easily if you're running Enhanced client.
Can't use the EC, the graphics literally give me a headache. I tried a few times because the functionality and features were nice, but migraines are not.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How are you going to make sure that spectators don't use ward removal talismans and wands?

A

A Bad Player

Anyone who has to use an elf to duel is silly. 14 damage lightning vs. a 20 damage against a human? Simple math will show you just how much of a disadvantage that is.

So someone in a faction suit probably has a few more hp regen assuming they don't use the crystalline also.

I don't know why people want these crutches so badly.

Slickjack

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ok, so the elves are are going to be ok for tourney. there will also be a limit of 12 HPR and NO talismans or wands from spectators... there will be "ushers" on each floor looking for this and will ban anyone trying this. Also, the EMs will be there and will be helping out on some level....