• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Castle rooftop garden help

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi all

I finally got my grubby mitts on a castle and I'm trying to make a rooftop garden. So far I have got this.

I'd like to place something to look like grass, instead of looking like I've just placed items on the roof, but I'm not sure what to use, do any of you experienced decorators know of anything that works well?

I thought of goza's, or the carpets from the Ter Mur tailor .. can goza's be made without the borders?

Also, does anyone know of any good dyes, stains that give a good grass colour? I tried a green from the special dye tub on a carpet and it turned it black!

Thanks for reading :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, there is a plain goza. It was added fairly recently so it's on the second page of the menu.

Dyed carpets give different results depending which one you start with. Red carpets will dye lighter than blue ones.

You'll probably get the best 'grass' colour from an ordinary npc dye tub actually.

T

Tazar

My personal opinion, but I think the best grass color comes from one of the green "Bod Cloth" colors. It takes a lot of bods to get enough for this type of project though...

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you have quite a bit of that nice rubble ground cover stuff, if it was me I'd kinda push all the garden bits to one area (probably northwest cause of the large trees) and concentrate it, that way if you decide to use goza as the base it won't be as noticeable since you have all those things to disguise them

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer simple dyable greens for my rooftop garden. I don't know that snow and grass will mix well though.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the ideas all, I'd never even thought of bod reward cloth or fishing nets.

I've tried goza's with the bod cloth, please let me know what you think .. I'm not sure myself, so I'll leave it for a few days til I decide :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I would throw in a few brown gozas for flowerbeds, all green is a little too much grass for my taste - but it's not my garden :)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
as long as it's goza you could also make a blue area, you've got enough odd plant types to round off the edges and make the pond look natural

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeh I was thinking it might be too much grass, and I hadn't thought of a pond, thanks for the ideas :)

Think I'll concentrate on other areas of the castle for now and come back to the garden later when I get a few ideas of how to put it together.

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it :)

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Odin-

I just moved into a new castle recently, too. So far, the only thing I have decorated is the roof. I'm posting a screenshot of it, in hopes that it will give you an idea or two.

I have heaps of rubble, so I used it on the roof. Perhaps there are too many plants. I couldn't figure out where to stop when placing them, so I kept going 'til it was full. I'm just going to leave mine as it is ... at least for the time being.

I originally got the idea for using the palms, banana trees, hedges and pipe cactus together, from a small roof garden I saw in Luna, on an Asian shard. I think it was Hokuto, but I'm not positive.

BlissMarie

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi Odin-

I just moved into a new castle recently, too. So far, the only thing I have decorated is the roof. I'm posting a screenshot of it, in hopes that it will give you an idea or two.

I have heaps of rubble, so I used it on the roof. Perhaps there are too many plants. I couldn't figure out where to stop when placing them, so I kept going 'til it was full. I'm just going to leave mine as it is ... at least for the time being.

I originally got the idea for using the palms, banana trees, hedges and pipe cactus together, from a small roof garden I saw in Luna, on an Asian shard. I think it was Hokuto, but I'm not positive.

BlissMarie
Wow! Thats very nice BlissMarie, thanks for posting it :)

I think I need to goto the Primeval spawn to get a few plants :stretcher:

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Odin.
I was running around on Izumo today and came across a pretty garden. Here's a picture of it for you.
Swamp tiles would fill in some of your grassy areas nicely.

BlissMarie

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
animated swamp tiles won't necessarily play as well as the house tile itself bliss.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
animated swamp tiles won't necessarily play as well as the house tile itself bliss.
I agree.
My thinking was that some well placed swamp tiles might work better, in spots, than gozas and/or nets.

BlissMarie

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
totally agree. I've found that the animated swamp tiles are surprisingly distracting in too many situations that the non animated housing swamp tiles do amazingly in.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks Odin.
I was running around on Izumo today and came across a pretty garden. Here's a picture of it for you.
Swamp tiles would fill in some of your grassy areas nicely.

BlissMarie
Thanks for the pic BlissMarie, another nice design, gives me some ideas :)

L

longshanks

what is the grassy covering consist of there. i'ts a near perfect match to the outside grass.

to the op, i would consider using some dirt patches, especially under the picnic table wear it would have a natural worn look.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you have kind of a conflict with the weather though. Ice hanging from the roof that is entirely snow-less and spring like in an arctic setting.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what is the grassy covering consist of there. i'ts a near perfect match to the outside grass.
If you mean the grass in BlissMarie's second pic I think its the grass tiles from the house customising menu.

to the op, i would consider using some dirt patches, especially under the picnic table wear it would have a natural worn look.
Thanks for the idea :)

you have kind of a conflict with the weather though. Ice hanging from the roof that is entirely snow-less and spring like in an arctic setting.
Yeh, I'm thinking of changing it around, its still in the design stages and will take me a long time to get it finished, will just do a bit at a time when I get ideas :)

L

longshanks

ya it is house customize. i saw the same color stone on the house as a castle and my mind went that way cause i own a castle.

in looking at the bliss marie pic i believe thats the way to go. her use of the ferns provides excellent ground cover of the stone castle tiles. you also can obtain a pretty natural look as to what the underbrush of a forrest looks like.

i think if you make use of stone, and rocks you can make a nice natural meandering pathway. using the stone to break up the straight lines.

also ur picnic table, i think placing it under say a constructed grape vineyard would give it a very natural setting.

just some thoughts to use as you wish.

good luck