• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Carpentry/Masonary FAQ - READ before posting (last updated 9/3/04)

• Thread starter imported_Irish Rage
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Irish Rage

<font color=8B0000>Special Thanks to both Kofu and Pfredd for laying the intial foundation of this FAQ and to OC2 for sharing his diary on reaching GM status.</font color=8B0000>

<font color=red>FAQ Table of Contents:</font color=red>

1. What is the most used route to GM carpentry 30-GM?
2. Approximately how long does it take and how many boards to GM carpentry from 50, from 30?
3. How do I make a potion keg?
4. Do I need GM Music to mark Instruments?
5. What are the going prices for Add-ons &amp; Carpentry Items?
6. What are the going rates for boards?
7. Do you need the carpentry skill to make logs into boards?
8. What items can I mark with my name?<font color=00008B>*</font color=00008B>
9. Does GM Magery affect my success rate for making pentagrams and abbatoirs?
10. What are good additional skills?
11. What resources do I need to make the various items?
12. Can Carpentry be 8x8?
13. Is the skill level required to craft items based off real or adjusted vaules?
14. My skill is stuck, what should I do?
15. Will saving up logs and then carpentering all power hour result in better gains then wandering the forests chopping and crafting?
16. Has Carpentry changed since the release of 3rd Dawn?
17. What are good places to log?
18. Should I put Lumberjacking and Carpentry on the same character?
19. What is the 3:1 Method?
20. What are magic trees and how can I find them?
21. Can I make water barrels?
22. Are GM Carpentry/GM Tinkered locked boxes better then just GM Tinkered ones?
23. Furniture Dye Tub Information<font color=00008B>*</font color=00008B>
24. Taxidermy Information
25. UO Assist Information

<font color=00008B>*Contains new information</font color=00008B>

1. What is the most used route to GM carpentry 30-GM?

Typically people use this route: Vesper/Trinsic Style Chairs, Wooden Shields, Fishing Poles (if you have tailoring), quarter staffs, gnarled staffs, and finally gnarled staffs mixed with easels. Ballot box deeds, writing desks, and medium crates are also reported to give good gains at the appropriate skill levels. Essentially make the hardest item possible for your current skill level switching as you are able to make the next item.

2. Approximately how long does it take and how many boards to GM carpentry from 50, from 30?

Special thanks to <font color=green>OC2</font color=green> for providing this information.

DAY 1 - ph 1
Start: 50 real 60 actual
Ended: 68 real 75.1 actual
Boards used: 4500

Notes: made wooden shields until 68.4 then moved onto fishing poles. At 73.6 I moved over to quarterstaffs.

DAY 2 - ph 2
Start: 68 real 75.1 actual
Ended: 76 real 81.2 actual
Boards used: 2,464
Grand Total: 6,964

Notes: made qs until 78.9 then gs

DAY 3 - ph 3
Start: 76 real 81.2 actual
Ended: 83 real 86.6 actual
Boards used: 3,604
Grand Total: 10,604

Notes: made gs only

DAY 4 - ph 4 with 40 mins after
Start: 83 real, 86.6 actual
Ended: 87.3 real 90 actual
Boards used: 4,800
Grand Total: 15,404

Notes: I checked to see what skill gains were like making easels with 300 boards and gnarled staffs with 300 boards, easels gave me a .2 and gnarled staffs .3, so I stuck to gnarled staffs for around 2000 boards, then changed to crooks.

DAY 5 - ph 5
Start: 87.3 real 90 actual
Ended: 90.1 real 92.2 actual
Boards used: 4,598
Grand Total: 20k boards

Notes: made only crooks. by this time my lumber jacker had another 30k in the bank.
So for those only wanting to make trophies looks like you'll only need 20k boards to achieve the skill to make them.

DAY 6 - ph 6
Start: 90.1 real actual 92.2
Ended: 91.1 real actual 93.0
Boards used: 1,760
Grand Total: 21,760

Notes: made only crooks

Start: 91.1 actual 93
Ended: 92.2 actual 93.8
Grand Total: 23,500

Notes: made only gs. this was in peak time

DAY 7 - ph 7 and 1 hour out of ph
Start: 92.2 real 93.8 actual.
Ended: 94.2 real 95.4 actual
Boards used: 6,500
Grand Total: 30,000

Notes: made only gnarled staffs. gains are VERY slow now. i would say tailoring is still slower, but a lot cheaper.

DAY 8 - ph 8 and 2 hours out of power hour
Start: 94.2 real actual 95.4
Ended: 95.9 real actual 96.7
Boards used: 7,166
Grand Total: 37,166

Notes: i am now in a lovely skill stall, 2000 boards with no gain lol. im going to work out of power hour tomorrow

DAY 9 - ph 9
Start: 95.9 real 96.7 actual
Ended: 96.3 real 97.1
Boards used: 2,834
Grand Total: 40k

Notes: made mainly gs with the few easels (I only ever make about 10 easels then went back to gs ) ok this is still day 9 and I decided to burn up the last of my 26k boards outside of power hour.

Start: 96.3 real 97.1
Ended: 99.6 real and actual,
Boards used: 26k
Grand Total: 66k

Notes: I didn't really have the usual stall at 97, my stall came in the 98s where I wouldn't gain for like 2-3k boards, then I would gain .1 and another .1 300 boards later and then another 2 -3k boards before another .1 gain etc.
I think the best way to getting skill at this level is be brave and go through what ever you have. I ended up with no logs at 99.6 so it was time to chop more wood.

DAY 10 - ph 10
Ended: 100
Grand Total: 66.5k

<font color=006400>If I start from 0 skill what should I do?</font color=006400>
From 0-30 purchase your skill from a NPC Carpenter in any of the NPC Carpenter shops found in the various towns. From here most people have typically found vesper and trinsic style chairs to give the best gains to get them up to wooden shields. Shields will take you easily past 50 and should allow you to follow the above outlined guide. Expect to burn roughly 8-15,000 boards from 30-50 as chairs burn wood quite fast.

This was also submitted by Gwenllian as an alternative to the above mentioned strategy for 30-50:

"I was dumb and started my char off with 50 mining instead of 50 carp *hits head on wall*- anyways, I see a lot of ppl have problems knowing what to make when they have to buy the skill.

I bought the skill up and had 100 str. I made medium crates and destroyed them using an axe. Then I made ballot box deeds (only 10 wood) until I could make shields /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I also found that when I was "between" skills of shields and fishng poles -- i made "writing desks." they burn a bit more wood -- *but* i gained .1 off of each one I made. Was well worth it for a quick 2 points.

Hope this helps a bit for the ppl who buy the skill like me."

X'antha - Great Lakes - GM Carpenter

3. How do I make a potion keg?

To make a potion keg it requires both the tinkering and carpentry skills. It is important to note though that these skills do not need to be on the same character. To create a potion keg do the following:

1) Create 3 barrel staves, &amp; 2 barrel lids (using the carpentry skill)
2) Create 1 set of hoops, &amp; 1 keg tap (using the tinkering skill)
3) Obtain 10 empty potion bottles from a npc alchemist,mage, or provisioner in any mage, alcehmist, or provisioner shop.
4) With all the materials in your pack use the carpentry skill to craft a empty keg (listed under containers)
5) With the tinkering skill double click your tinkering tool then the empty potion keg. If you succeed the remaing barrel lid, keg tap, and 10 empty bottles will be combined to make the keg. If you fail you will lose a few pieces which you will need to replace to try again.

Your carpentry skill will be checked when creating the empty keg and your tinkering skill when creating the final potion keg.

4. Do I need GM Music to mark Instruments?

No you only need to have GM Carpentry. The lowest music skill reported on this board was around 55 to successfully mark an instrument. Most crafters claim 60-70 music allows them to mark instruments the majority of the time.

5. What are the going prices for Add-ons &amp; Carpentry Items?

Prices vary tremendously from shard to shard and even vendor to vendor. Typical price ranges for the highest selling items are:

Add-ons:
Anvils: 500-2500
Large Forge: 1000-4000
Small Forge: 500-2500
Large Beds: 1000-4000
Small Beds: 500-2500
Looms: 500-2000
Spinning Wheels: 500-2000

Furniture:
Benches: 50-200
Thrones: 50-250
Small Tables: 50-200
Large Tables: 100-200
Yews: 100-250
Chests: 50-250 (350 if GM Tinkered)
Kegs: 500-1000 (If you Dye people prefer yellow, orange, green, and black mainly)

6. What are the going rates for boards?

Again the price of boards varies heavily from shard to shard. They typically range anywhere from 5-20gp.

7. Do you need the carpentry skill to make logs into boards?

0 real skill is needed to craft boards. If you fail when attempting to make boards, you will only lose 1 log regardless of how many are in your pack. Therefore if you choose to keep lumberjacking on a separate character you can still convert them to boards and lose a very minimal amount in the process.

8. What items can I mark with my name?

All chairs
All containers (except empty potion kegs)
All tables
All staffs and poles
All musical instruments
Dressforms
Easels

The following items cannot be marked:

Music Stands*
All House Add-ons (except dressforms)
Barrel lids, staves and kegs

<font color=blue>*note: I was not able to mark one in testing.</font color=blue>

9. Does GM Magery affect my success rate for making pentagrams and abbatoirs?

No your chances of success are the same at 75 magery as they are at GM.

10. What are good additional skills?

Blacksmithing - Great moneymaker on its own and in combination with carpentry allows you to craft anvils and forges probably the best selling of the add-ons.

Magery - Great for gating packies, self-defense, and of course for crafting Pentagrams &amp; Abattoirs once you GM Carpentry.

Tailoring - Another decent money maker on its own, but also allows you to craft fishing poles, training dummies, large and small beds, looms, and spinning wheels.

Tinkering - Allows you to craft GM tinkered boxes (great for selling to those looking to GM lock picking), trapped boxes, and also the cooking add-ons: stoves &amp; flourmills.

Music - Allows you to craft insturments and mark them if you achieve GM Carpentry status. Not a big seller but a must if you want to be able to craft every item currently available.

Lumberjacking - You need to get your wood some place might as well do it yourself. Most people prefer putting this on their swordsman character for the associated bonus and also because it isn't necessary on your craftsman.

Mining - As with logs, you need to get your ingots somewhere and mining is relatively easy to GM or get to high enough levels to make collecting large amounts fairly quick. This is another skill you may choose to put on another character though if it doesn't fit your template.

Bow crafting/Fletching - Only for the die-hard craftsman it provides no bonus or additional craftables to carpentry and is a matter of personal preference. A warning this is not an easy skill to GM though.

11. What resources and skill levels do I need to make the various items?

Check the stratics site http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/carpentry.shtml for the item table.

<font color=blue>*note: some stats are no longer current</font color=blue>

12. Can Carpentry be 8x8?

No carpentry cannot be 8x8.

13. Is the skill level required to craft items based off real or adjusted vaules?

It is based off adjusted values. Therefore raising your strength as soon as possible will allow you to craft items sooner and hopefully gain skill faster as well.

<font color=blue>*note: taxidermy is based off real skill</font color=blue>

14. My skill is stuck, what should I do?

As with most skills you will hit a wall now and then on your path to GM. Make sure you are crafting the most difficult items at you skill level and stick to power hour unless you have lots of boards to burn. If all else fails take a few days off of carpentry and work another skill.

15. Will saving up logs and then carpentering all power hour result in better gains then wandering the forests chopping and crafting?

People have reported similiar gains using either method. The first allows you to stay in your house with little movement but can get very tedious and boring to some players. The second method allows you to get out and see the lands as well as avoid the nessecity of owning a pack horse. It also allows you to log in areas with a spawn, which tend to have trees that have not been logged so heavily by others.

16. Has Carpentry changed since the release of 3rd Dawn?

Yes, some of skill levels required to craft certain items have changed slightly by a few points since the implementation of localization. Therefore the current table posted on stratics may not be entirly accurate. Untill this is updated you can use the Test Center shard to figure out what the exact skill level you will need to craft something is.

17. What are good places to log?

The best places to log are in lower populated areas with little or no spawn. Yew and Delucia are good places to start from if you are having trouble finding a good spot. It is also best to log in off peak times after the trees have had some time to respawn their wood.

18. Should I put Lumberjacking and Carpentry on the same character?

No, there is no direct benefit from having both skills on the same character. Adding Lumberjacking to a swordsman character provides the associated Axe bonus's, but it is truley a matter of preference.

19. What is the 3:1 Method?

3:1 is basically creating 3 gnarled staffs and then 1 easel over and over. It has been claimed to increase gains in the late 90s, but is a matter of personal preference. It never hurts to try if you feel your not gaining, but will burn boards much quicker then just sticking to staffs.

20. What are magic trees and how can I find them?

There is no one "magic tree", but rather it is just a general term used to describe trees that give off abnormally high amounts of wood. Some people have claimed to find trees that give off a spawn of 1000 or more logs if given the time to fully respawn. They can be found throughout Brittania and will always respawn fully if given enough time. If you find one mark the location, or use UO Automap to mark the spot if you have it. A note though, they are hard to find and rarely will a seasoned lumberjack give up his prized trees.

21. Can I make water barrels?

No, the large water barrels are not craftable. They spawn througout Brittania and are obtained through other means.

22. Are GM Carpentry/GM Tinkered locked boxes better then just GM Tinkered ones?

No, the only thing having GM Carpentry does is allow you to mark the containers as you craft them. In terms of gaining Lockpicking there is no difference it terms of difficulty.

23. Furniture Dye Tub Information

Furniture Dye Tubs are a prize that was available a while ago during the Cleanup Sosaria campaign to rid the world of excess items. They can be used by any player of any account age unlike leather and special dye tubs. They are considered somewhat rare, but will be available to 12- month vets again when the vet awards program comes back out hopefully by summer this year. Therefore I would recommend saving your gold, as there are a lot of people trying to make obscene amounts of money on them while the demand is still fairly high.

In order to use a Furniture Dye Tub, you must:
1 - Be the owner of a house (Co-owners and friends can not dye)
2 - Have the furniture you want dyed locked down.

Set the tubs color the same way you would a cloth dye tub: purchase dyes from a tailor npc and then double click them, select the Furniture dye tub, then select the color. Then to dye the furniture double click the tub then the locked down piece of furniture.

Items you can dye include: Crates, Chests (large and small), Shelves, Armoires, Chairs, Benches, Thrones, Tables, Desks, Music Stands, Dressforms, and Potion Kegs. It is also possible to dye the wooden chests fishermen get with SOS bottles.

It is NOT possible to dye non-furniture items, as well as the following Carpenter-made items: Easels, Open Kegs, Boards, Staves, and Wooden Shields

The only way to un-dye something is, like with cloth, to use a dye tub that has never had it's color set.

<font color=blue>*note: all pillows can now be dyed, but can be dyed using a regular dye tub from an npc tailor shop.</font color=blue>

24. Taxidermy Information

Taxidermy kits can be purchased from npc tanners in the various tanner shops in several towns. A base carpentry skill of 90.1 or higher is needed to both purchase and use the item. To create a trophy simply kill the appropreiate animal (Orc, Gorilla, Polar Bear, Troll, Brown Bear, Great Hart, or Big Fish). When standing at the corpse double click the tool and then target the corpse. A trophy deed will be placed in your pack. For more information check the taxidemy information page here http://uo.stratics.com/content/misc/taxidermy.shtml

25. UO Assist Information

UO Assist can help carpenters by making it possible to craft an item with the push of a single button. Typically people use it to craft and destroy items in one keystroke to save themselves the time and frustration of dealing with a pack full of items. A few popular macro set ups are outlined below, but there are numerous other combinations possible. Visit the UO Assist site for more information.

This is how to set up UO Assist to make staffs (replace staffs with any item).

Hit record:

Dbl Click Carpentry tool
Select Gnarled Staff

Now:
-Change the first line of the Commands from "Use Item" to "Use Item Type" by highlighting it and right clicking.

*Note use the same tool that you used to make the macro from now on and you will never have to remake the macro.

Then click the "Keys" tab and scroll down to "Play Macro 1" and set a key to the macro.

Your command lines should look exactly like this when you are finished:
Use Item Type (carpentry tool)
Menu Selection (staffs and poles selection)
Menu Selection (gnarled staff selection)

This is how to set up UO Assist to make and destroy staffs (replace staffs with any item).

Hit record:

Dbl Click Carpentry tool
Select Gnarled Staff

Now:

Dbl Click Axe
Click Staff you just made

Now:
-Change the first line of the Commands from "Use Item" to "Use Item Type" by highlighting it and right clicking.

*Note use the same tool that you used to make the macro from now on and you will never have to remake the macro.

-Secondly select the second line that says "Menu selection" (for the selection of the staff), and then click "Pause After" from the menu and add a pause after it of about 5000-10000 (depends on comp speed, lag, etc)

-Lastly change the last line of the macro (for the targeting of the staff to destroy it) to "Target Item Type" by once again highlighting and right clicking it.

Then click the "Keys" tab and scroll down to "Play Macro 1" and set a key to the macro.

Now you are set. You can repeat the sequence over and over just make sure to include a pause between the last line and the first line of each one. Never macro unattended as this is not the point of UO Assist.

Your command lines should look exactly like this when you are finished:
Use Item Type (carpentry tool)
Menu Selection (staffs and poles selection)
Menu Selection (gnarled staff selection)
Pause 5000-10000
Use Item (axe)
Target Item Type (gnarled staff)

<font color=blue>*note: a pause of 1000 may be adequate as it depends entirely on your operating system specs and internet connection. experiment to find out the minimal pause time you can use to improve efficiency.</font color=blue>

<font color=red>If there is anything you feel was left out of this FAQ please private message me and I will add it asap.</font color=red>

&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by Irish Rage on 11/29/01 03:37 AM.&lt;/EM&gt;</font>&lt;/P&gt;

I

imported_Irish Rage

Masonary FAQ Last Updated 11/21/02

1. How do I learn to craft Masonary Items

In order to craft Masonary items you need to first be a Grandmaster in Carpentry and then read the book entitled "Making Valuables with Stonecrafting". The book can be purchased from either shop in Gargoyle city called "Lap-In-Lem" from the gargoyle vendors called "stone crafters". The book costs a little over 10k gold and is a one use only item. Once read your character knows the skill permantly and does not need to read it again.

2. How do I get to Gargolye City?

In order to reach gargolye city you will need to own a valid copy of UO: 3rd Dawn and visit the facet of Ilshenar. Select the Honor gate from any moon gate and head directly north to the entrance to the central area. Once inside travel southeast around the dragons liar until you find the entry into the desert area. Once inside travel directly southwest to Gargolye city. Beware the spawn can be tuff here. Be ready to invis yourself and or heal yourself if the situation calls for it. Once inside the city the first shop is located in the southeast corner, while the other is located to the far west.

<font color=blue>*note: Others have suggested compassion as an alternate route. I found the honor route to be the fastest for me personally, but I leave it up to you to find out for yourselfs.</font color=blue>

3. Do I need any tools in order to craft masonary items?

Yes, you need to purchase a mallet and chisel from the stone crafter npc's. They only run about 3 gp's and do wear out. Currently this is the only way to aquire the tools, but it has been reported that they will most likely become craftable by tinkers sometime in the future.

4. How do I aquire Granite in order to craft the items?

In order to mine granite of any Ore type, you will need to first be a Grandmaster in the skill of mining, or use mining gloves to get your skill over 100. You will then need to purchase a second book from the npc stone crafter's entitled "Mining for Quality Stone" also for around 10,000 gp. This book is also a one time read and only needs to be purchased once. After reading the book a GM miner can find granite from any place you can currently mine ore. <font color=blue>Update: You can now use the context menu's (shift left click if you do not have it enabled) to select wether you wish to mine stone, granite or both with a pickaxe or shovel. Simply click the shovel or pickaxe and select away!</font color=blue>

5. How do you craft items in the various Ore colors?

In order to craft the items in the various colors, you need to select that particular ore type from the sub-menu located at the bottom left hand corner of the main menu. By default it will say "normal" the first time you use the tool. Once changed you will need to either change it back to normal or whatever other color you wish to craft.

6. What items can I craft with the masonary skill?

Currently you can craft the following items:

Large Vases
Small Vases
Large Stone Tables (south &amp; east)
Medium Stone Tables (south &amp; east)
Stone Chairs
Praying Lady Statue (current rat mage/pixie spawn)
Silver Surfer Statue (current rat mage/pixie spawn)
Angel Statue (current rat mage/pixie spawn)
Pegasus Statue

7. What items can be manipulated with the interior decorator tool?

All the statues and vases can be raised and lowered but not turned. The chairs can be turned in all four directions as well as raised and lowered. The tables cannot be manipulated in anyway.

8. Can the stone tables be re-deeded?

No the stone tables cannot be re-deeded and place exactly like any of the other add-ons. To destroy one simply use an axe on them.

<font color=blue>Note: The tables break into three pieces when destroyed. Simply use the axe on all three pieces to totally destroy a table</font color=blue>

9. Can masonary items carry a maker's mark?

No, currently none of the items can be marked with the crafters name. No information has been reported yet on wether this will become a feature eventually or not. For the time being just ignore the selection option on the menu as it does nothing.

10. Do stone tables need to be locked down?

No, stone tables do not need to be locked down. They function the same as other add-ons. All other stone items do need to be locked down though.

Ansel - Grandmaster Carpenter/Blacksmith/Tailor/Tinker/Mage/Stoic - Chessy

Status
Not open for further replies.