• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Careful what you bring home in your rl bag of grapes !! :)

P

Peaches

All I can say is : EWWWWWWWWWWWW

I truly HATE ANY kind of spider. Glad I don't eat grapes, but hubby does. I told him about this. Heh, he wasn't impressed.

S

Sausage

Actually, this is pretty common. Lots of bugs on the vines eat on the grapes, so the spiders show up as its a good place to catch the bugs. Not sure why black widows particularly pick it, But back when i used to work produce in HS, finding one of these in the grapes wasnt that uncommon. Widow spiders bites are painful, but if you catch em early its not bad, and at least once, you can use the anti-venom, which makes the pain unless you are very very allergic, very little.

T

Tinnian

And I was expecting a story about a guy in a g-string. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

When I first moved south I finally seen them cuz they in the bushes and junk naturally down here. So are the Brown Recluse..both nasty. But anyhow I went shopping and got some banannas and seen this THING crawl out of the lil box they had put them into for me to carry em home..kinda like a green grocer store. I looked did an OMG is that what I THINK it is ??? it is crawling up my wall now from that bananna box and i went closer to look to make sure I was seeing straight. IT WAS a black widow !

I went closer and sure enough black shiny like black patent leather shoes, with a shiny red hour glass figure on it. LIKE um ok I observed it ever so briefly as that was the FIRST one I seen ever in my life. We had just moved south so I wanted to become familiar to know what I was seeing down here..venomous things snakes spiders.. etc. that I was never exposed to up north. NATCH after I observed it..almost in amazement as spiders go its ..very unique looking..then I SMASHED THAT SUCKER TO OBLIVION.. haha not breedin in MY house or co existing with me NO WAY ! IT DIED !

ACTUALLY down here the sneakier one the brown recluse is ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww worse they DO get inside..the widow kinda sticks to her own turf outside mostly. I kill the recluses fast when i see em esp if they try to sneak in. They like to HIDE UNDER things, like sheets, towels and stuff...so ya can guarentee if they sneak in they be in your bathroom linen closet and bite ya when ya go to grab for a towel..they poisonous too.

BUT I might stay away from grapes for a while after seeing that MSN news item !

K

korgoth

grrr.. I've been bitten twice by black widows... it's no fun.

G

yeh if i were a spider and wanted dinner /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif I would hang out in some fruity area where lil fruit flys and others go to zap the sap and fruit sweetness.

WE once felled a peach tree for about same reasons..it was kinda an unhealthy peach tree and was in our yard when we bought this home. It kinda oozed peachy sap from the bark ..was WEIRD..like some oozing peach wound. IT DREW spiders and THE SNAKES.. the bad of both. Needless to say sapping sicko peach tree was felled !!! MY cat kept trying to play with the snakes !! AND I was still new here..didnt know the venomous from the non venomous and was scared for my silly cat..every snake was LIVE YARN to him !! Luckily he only played with non venomous ones..but not like he would KNOW ..he was just lucky is all...and we felled that oozing peach tree pronto. !

G

I hate spiders too, but what 'bugs' me even more in the south, are them darn cockroaches the size of aircraft carriers down here and they walk up walls,, get on ceilings, fly at your face ..HUGE ... EWWWWWWWWWWW ! DISGUSTIN ~!

R

Rob L

<blockquote><hr>

I SMASHED THAT SUCKER TO OBLIVION.. haha not breedin in MY house or co existing with me NO WAY ! IT DIED !

<hr></blockquote>

Your kinda scaring me, rofl. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

GrumpySmith

eww those recluse get inside and multiply like rabbits.. They tell you if you find one inside you need to entirely empty the area it was in and check everything..

I don't mind black widow's though.. not that I want one inside or on my food..

Hey at least you know the pesticides weren't to bad on the grapes..

T

The_Traveler

Queen,
Sounds like you live in the same part of the country that I do. I used to work for a city water supply in Alabama. It would always amaze people to find out what kind of bugs lived in the meter box. I can't count how many black widows and recluse's I saw in those meter boxes.

The lesson learned? Neve open one with your hands. Get a long solid screwdriver and use it to pry the box open. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

Northwest Airlines moved us ..transfered hubby from the pleasantry of GreenBay Wisconsin and its artic tundra..with the scariest thing being a bat and a brama bull in my place /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif to the greater Memphis area..thus DIXIE ! Been down here since 1984 and yeh lol I dont open NOTHING outside that looks like a HOME for something alien ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif I learned that fast just rakin our yard first time..seen a tiny lil brood or whatever they call a hatchling batch of live baby snakes..like OMG where is momma run........................no clue what kind they were..I DONT rake the yard no more down here, let HIM do it haha !

R

Richard M. Nixon

Hehehe...my favorite part of the story:

<blockquote><hr>

She put the deadly spider into her children’s bug jar and has kept it there since. “I couldn’t come to terms with killing it,” she said on Wednesday.

<hr></blockquote>

Ahem....

1) It's a friggin spider!!! Kill the sucker already!
2) Yes, it's much more "humane" to keep a spider in your childern's jar o' bug death and slowly starve to death.
3) The quote was only a partial quote. The rest went like this "...at least until my lawyer gets here so wa can sue the heck out of the grocery store."

My $0.02.

T

The_Traveler

hehe. That's living in the South for you.
Could be worse though. Imagine raking up a pile of snakes, while the spiders are crawling out the meter box, and a bear is coming down the hill known as your back yard.

That would scare the stuffing out of me.

G

GrumpySmith

hehe.. I tell ya what scares me more is when a little wood mouse JUMPS out in your lap..

I don't like jumpy things.. or flying cockroaches..

hey queen do they have those daddy longlegs out there? Those creep my husband out but I used to play with them.. (little speck of a spider with 6 inch legs)

R

Richard M. Nixon

<blockquote><hr>

and a brama bull in my place

<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm...did you try taming it?

G

hehe There are just some things that I have ZERO tolerance for .. they want to be outdoors fine that is where they belong and each serves some useful purpose in or 'as' the food chain for others BUT..if they want to come inside IN MY HOME..DIE SUCKA lol ! I Like crickets though they can come in and chirp till they drive us nuts, they ok /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

NO ! lol it was mean and looked at me funny and started charging at me..it was very big ...and so I FLED ! NO STEAK on the hoof is worth my getting horns goring me to death LOL Besides he had 20 female cows with him ..they all broke a fence at some neighbors cow farm and came to eat my front lawn !

I DID capture the bat that hung off my ceiling light in wisconsin..slapped that sucka in a jar and turned it loose outside..told it not to return ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

Yeh them odd shaped daddylonglegs are everywhere. They dont bug me though they just hang out ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif I feel for em ..all them long legs and like NO body lol poor sorry arse things ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I dont worry bout mice much. They dont scare me..I had a lot of pet rodents in my life..:) I think they are CUTE ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif BUT I do have cats in the house..so hrmm they dont sneak in here often and survive. I have actually been known to sneak wild rodents food sometimes, just cuz they are cute to me. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif I was NOT fond of when the neighbors pet ferrets got loose and ended up in MY yard though. THEYSTINK /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

yeh that happened to a friend of mine..they had 5 daughters. . in 2 bedrooms. The girls were like teen preteen and had a lot of sweaters each..in sweater storage boxes under their beds. One day one of the girls went to get a sweater out and was seriously bitten by brown recluses..not one MORE than one. They rushed her to hospital. The browns had MULTIPLIED in them sweater boxes..their whole home had to be about ransacked and treated with chemicals. THEY had to stay in a motel for 3 days till the smell of the chemicals wore down.

LIKE scary..best not to let things SIT still in a home for half a yr in storage boxes if ya live in the south..never know what SNUCK and and multiplied ..and things like sweaters ya only use seasonally so not like ya payin attention to what is in the box off season when ya dont need the sweaters.

H

Hotaru-Chan

eeee *cringes*
Spiders freak me out, so I kill them whenever I see them. I even have to kill them at my BF's house because he wont kill them. *laughs* he rather drown the thing in raid. I use a big shoe. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif
Geezuz, I moved here to Texas about a year ago and I just recently saw this big hairy spider walking up my door step. I mean, this thing was like 2 inches big! Hairy, brown, and had mass to him! *shivers*
THat's one spider that I didn't step on...BUT HE WAS LIKE HUGE IMO! lol
In sacramento, california the biggest spider I saw outside of a pet store was like...a daddy long leg(those were safe from my shoe, but not from my fingers...pulling their legs off...I'm so going down below when I die. :p). *Laughs*

Would have been the grosses sound to step on that big guy...eeeeeew *Shivers* *laughs*

~~Hotaru-Chan

G

Grond

<blockquote><hr>

The browns had MULTIPLIED in them sweater boxes..their whole home had to be about ransacked and treated with chemicals. THEY had to stay in a motel for 3 days till the smell of the chemicals wore down.

<hr></blockquote>
Even after the smell of the chemicals wore down, I wouldn't let them back home. Heck, I wouldn't have put the brown recluses up in a hotel room in the first place! Just skoosh 'em.

G

<blockquote><hr>

...I just recently saw this big hairy spider walking up my door step. I mean, this thing was like 2 inches big! Hairy, brown, and had mass to him!

<hr></blockquote>
Sounds like you found a tarantula.

G

GrumpySmith

hehe I like ferrets but they are a bit on the musky side.. I like mice to, always had hamsters growing up but they still scare me when I open a door and it jumps out.. We got a little wood mouse, cutest thing, BIG ears was in the corner cabinet, one with those daisy wheel things in it, crunching on something and I swung the cabinet around and WOOSH right in my lap..

D

Dor of Sonoma

We get quite a few Brown Recluses in Northern California. Actually, they like to hang out around my computer, for some inexplicable reason. *twitches* I have one of those huge, cavernous executive desks...I guess they like the warmth and the cave-like atmosphere.

Once or twice a year, one will act on a dare or something, and run across my keyboard (!!!), whereupon I will dismantle the house chasing it until I have smashed it into smithereens.

Good exercise.

*develops a tic*

D

Dor of Sonoma

Hahaha...!

*whacks Grond* /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

G

haha LOL maybe cuz its cheaper to put the recluses up in the motel instead of that family ?? haha I am the queen of 'runonsentances' and overuse of pronouns like I just assume that use of them they is easily figured out by all of yall them of yu whomever they may be haha &gt; *giggles*

G

*giggles* that kinda looked like Marge Simpson's hairdo except in a purple version ! I prob could use it on big arse southern cockroaches that try to sneak in EWWWWWWWWWWWW ! CEPT their weird legs probably get STUCK in the mesh with the lil thornys stickin out of their legs ! EWWWWWWWW

S

Sausage

at least we dont have these......much nastier than our friendly black widows, and recluses.

Funnel Web Spiders

And dont even get started with the snakes of that continent....oh dear. =)

D

DemanKnght

Aye, Arctic Tundra not looking so bad now does it?? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif Gotta love Wisconsin weather, helps keep the creepy bug life in check.

Oh thanks by the way, now I am creeped out about the bugs. But we did catch lots of wild life when I worked at the grocery store. Mainly spiders but a rare lizard or two now and again. Was always bragging rights to nab one into a container ad see how long you can keep it alive.

G

ewwwwwwwwwwwww YUCK /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif toxic too ! I seen where it stated the male spideys are more dangerous when they looking to mate..ha TYPICAL lol MEN ! even as spiders ...just cant think straight till well nm /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif *giggles*

G

AH yes Wisconsin..not as many bugs year round heck that one winter we couldn't even bury the human dead cuz the ground froze down past 7 ft deep ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif We all joked ..oh just toss em in the snow they wont get RIPE till may or later...:)

But we did have mayflies as they were called..due to the bay of Green Bay ..bout once a yr usually around Memorial day the Mayflies mated. They would be flying ENMASSE all over the place and laid their young upon the water of the bay or some foo thing. ANYHOW we needed brooms to get them off the windshields of our cars as we drove was like a FOG of SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT tons of mayflies..no small insect either. DISGUSTING lol harmeless but like FLOCKS OF EM every may = mayflies ! OH yeh and DEER flys as they were called that bit the living heck out of ya..stung like some big fly itched after the hurt of the deer fly's bites itched like mosquitos on itch left behind in the pain, ie flies from hell.

BUT Wisconsin is the ONLY state I had a brahma bull, and a goat charge to attack me..wisconsin is the ONLY state a fricken black bear ticked of about something also come into my yard charging at me, and wisconsin had more SKUNKS than any state I ever lived in. USED to have to bathe the dog in tomato juice all the time for tangling with them smelly skunks ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

AND wisconsin is the only place I had a herd of deer jump OVER my head scarin me to death..yet laughing..thought to myself..well I see now why some got called dasher and prancer they hop OVER a 5ft 5 inch tall human being like I was a dwarf ..OVER MY HEAD ..luckily I duck FAST ! I coulda been HOOVED to death !

Wisconsin is the ONLY state I lived in that had a bat come in and hang out on my lamp ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Oh BTW it also is the ONLY state I lived in where some species of human kind wore sponge rubber wedges of CHEESE on their heads...shouting GO PACKERS. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif OH now them can be scarier than any insects haha !

*edit* btw I OWN one of them CHEESE head heads and sometimes wear it even during a packer game on tv ! * /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif USUALLY though I prefer packer tshirts knit caps and scarves..even if it never gets that cold down here in DIXIE !

G

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;MOVE YOUR DESK DOR&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ew lol

S

solmyr

it seems to be a little late now, but welcome to the south /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

most of my experiences have not been with spiders, even though the black widow was very common in my parents back yard, but with snakes. I think my two worst experiences was to realize I was standing on top of a water mocasin(sp) while fishing at a near by river, and while fishing at a nearby lake i noticed I was right beside a rattle snake. Of course I did what we are told not to do and that is run like hell.

M

Macao

Those daddy longlegs are some of the most posionous spiders in the world the reason they don't kill many people is they're fangs are big enough to break your skin. there are alot of people that mistake hobo spiders for brown recuses if you knew the damage a hobo spider can do you would kill every one you see.

Absydian

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's nothing, you should of seen the spiders we used to pull out of the banana boxes when I worked at Shop N Save....size of your palm.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Those daddy longlegs are some of the most posionous spiders in the world the reason they don't kill many people is they're fangs are big enough to break your skin.

<hr></blockquote>
That's a myth, Macao. Daddy-Longlegs Myth

C

Chinalilly

Yeah. That happened where I live several years ago. Some woman bought a bag of black or red grapes and while washing them in the sink a black widow spider crawled out. Needless to say she was freaked.

I love grapes, but I don't buy them in ready packed bags either, and when I pick them out, I pick off small clusters at a time and put them into another bag.

I doubt it happens very often, but when it does, it's pretty freaky.

You might also want to be careful about bringing home bags of grains like rice etc. Sometimes baby roaches will make their home in there and transplant themselves into your very own cupboards.

Also, if anyone eats broccoli, you are eating bugs no matter how well you think you washed it. The government (Canada and the USA), allows for a certain percentage of insects in produce. But oh well, a bit of extra protein has never hurt anyone.

Speaking of protein, has anyone tried chocolate covered ants? I did when I was in grade 12. The biology teacher brought in chocolates. We all through we were eating chocolate covered raisins until he told us. There was a mad dash to the sinks and trash cans when some found out what they were. I retched and gagged and then realized that I enjoyed them when I ate them, so what's to retch and gag about /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ugh, I HATE ROACHES, But at least you don't have to deal with palmetto bugs [they are like roaches but bigger, i once saw one the size of my computer mouse] =/

G

GrumpySmith

ewww.. any bug that big would creep me out..

I did a search on the daddy long legs and didin't see any like the one back in East Texas.. but I did see another bug that just totally creeps me out, I'm not afraid of them I just can't stand them near me.. WALKING STICKS!!..

G

Try searching for Opiliones. Although there is a spider called daddy-longlegs spider, what most people in the world call daddy-longlegs are Opiliones. I understand there are several hundred varieties around the world so finding a specific one may not be easy. I've yet to find a picture of the one I'm accustomed to seeing here in central Oklahoma.

Edit: Found this picture from the TAMU Stephenville Research and Extension Center. This one looks pretty much like the daddy-longlegs I've always seen around here. They have pictures of walking sticks, too! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

GrumpySmith

That's the one.. hmm he looks a bit like a tick with extreme legs.. never really noticed that before..

G

<blockquote><hr>

That's the one.. hmm he looks a bit like a tick with extreme legs.. never really noticed that before..

<hr></blockquote>
That would be because ticks, mites, harvestmen (daddy-longlegs), spiders, and scorpions are all different Orders of the same Class of critter, Arachnida, so they would naturally have some characteristics in common between them.