• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can't Trade With NPCs?

Boomer

Visitor
I'm brand new to this game, did a fresh install, played through the tutorial, get to New Haven, can't trade with anyone. After some Googling, I found that other people had the same problem and a fresh reinstall was suggested to fix this. Reinstalling the game did not help.

Is there anything to try? I'm on the verge of just saying "screw it" and uninstalling the game.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Welcome to UO! Players can only trade with other players, you can sell and buy from many NPCs though. What shard are you playing on and what were you trying to trade? I know the new player quests aren't the greatest but did you run through the questline?

Boomer

Visitor
I figured it out after a while. I never would have thought you have to actually type to the NPC to get it work, and this type of information is surprisingly sparse on the web in general. Thanks for replying though. :D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another issue is that, since the changes to the monetary system, you can't use gold on your person to buy from NPCs. All the purchases withdraw from the bank - yet the beginning characters STILL start with their money in their pack.

So new players have to bank their gold to buy items from NPCs/vendors, though they still have to have loose gold on them for buying up skill training.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They really need to do some work on the New Player Experience, this is just ridiculous. Decide on a system and stick with it. My husband and I spent 20 minutes with a new player who couldn't tithe any gold after taking chiv, eventually we realised he had all his gold on him and it didn't work that way any more, he had to bank it! It's really frustrating for new people.

Boomer

Visitor
I can't imagine they get too many new players. Not trying to knock it either, but an oldschool game like this isn't exactly something most people would seek after.