• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cannot get UO full screen, anyone has an idea why ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When pressing ALT+ENTER UO from windowed mode goes full screen which means, I ONLY see UO om my display, no task bars no nothing BUT, the actual game window does NOT occupy the entire screen but only a reduced portion of the screen and around it there is a BLACK BACKGROUND.

I thought I needed to resize the game window to occupy the black area of the screen when if I try to pull the external borders nothing happens, and Ican only "move" the game window around the black background.

Problem is, that I want the game window to occupy the entire screen without NO BLACK BACKGROUND AREA to display.

Anyone knows if there is some particular setting that I need to switch on or off ?

Thank you very much.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i used to play uo classic fullscreen. somehow i found a setting where game box filled most of the screen without looking disorted or cutting much off. Somewhere along the lines i had automatic updates and messed with it and now fullscreen UO looks horrible, blurry, flashes white, just terrible. i tried for hours to get it back to how it was but gave up.

thejammonster

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in the options there is a setting for the resolution to use when playing fullscreen (either 800x600 or 1024x768, I can't remember). set your monitor to that resolution while you are playing UO, as Michelle mentioned.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
classic client to get full screen i set screen resolution to 800x600
when done playing uo i go back to normal screen
Yes. "Full screen resolution" and "Game Play Window Size" need to match, if the full screen display is to have no border.

Full screen display looks nice an old CRT that can make pixels fit any size to minimum, but because the CC has no antialiasing, it looks pretty crummy on LCD monitors.

fullscreen.jpg

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Classic Client as shown will only appear in 640x480 or 800x600 with the rest being black client space.

Enhanced Client will allow you to resize the gameplay window to (almost) any size above a certain minimum.

If you want the Classic Client to fill your entire screen, you'll have to set the monitor's resolution in Windows to 800x600 or 640x480 before going to full screen.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Classic Client as shown will only appear in 640x480 or 800x600 with the rest being black client space.

Enhanced Client will allow you to resize the gameplay window to (almost) any size above a certain minimum.

If you want the Classic Client to fill your entire screen, you'll have to set the monitor's resolution in Windows to 800x600 or 640x480 before going to full screen.
Full screen mode, in UO or other games, should override the screen resolution set in Windows, as long as the monitor is capable of the resolution.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It used to do that until T2A added the "Big Window" client which has been the standard since. The "Big Window" at the time was the fact that the UO gameplay window expanded from 640x480 to 800x600. The rest at any higher resolution was still part of the "client window" as a whole, but remained as useable black space so that you could put UI elements outside of the gameplay window. You are also correct in your earlier post that the Fullscreen Resolution and Gameplay Window need to be the same size for the gameplay window to take up the whole screen, and that on LCD monitors this tends to have less than stellar results.

(as an aside I'm currently re-reading the novel you sig quote originates, into the third part as of this week)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We're talking about different things, I think. I'm talking about going full screen, which will make the video card output whatever UO's fullscreen resolution is set to, regardless of Windows' video settings, as long as the monitor can handle it. On non-4:3 monitors, the picture will be stretched horizontally.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yes and you're right in that regard. Also, even on 4:3 LCD monitors that have higher native resolutions, the image will be lesser quality due to the monitor being forced outside of that native resolution.

Basically, lower res/older games and higher res LCD don't mix very well.

Different parts of the same big client picture, really.