• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cannot enhance tiger hide armor?

TirNaNo'g

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More of a rant than a question.. I was building a luck suit and wanted to craft a 190 luck helm. Hate the leather cap and jingasa, so saw the tiger helm as a viable option (I wear a deer hat normally, so it was not a big stretch). Anyway, I paid 4.5 million for the helm recipe on Atlantic, transferred it to my home shard, burned through hundreds of hides to get low physical pieces, several horned runic tools to produce 150 luck pieces, PoFed the best one to 255 durability, imbued MR, LMC, LRC up to max... and then could not enhance it with spined. WHY!? My helm is made with plain leather. They can be made with spined leather and receive material bonus. No reason that the helm should not be able to be enhanced. So annoyed. </end rant>

Scott1234

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
my guess is it’s not really considered to be a base leather peace, as tiger pelt is an ingredient. the behavior of salvage on tiger pelt items yields no leather if memory serves. (Odd you don’t get pelt and/or leather, maybe somebody was lazy?).

could be an over site, try filing a bug on official bug forum. It’s not like tiger pelt items give resistance bonuses (maybe +1 over medable leather), so it’s an odd limitation.

side note: try these things on test center where you get 30k charge runic tools for free. You can also play around with enhancing base armor pieces with no mods without using the forged metal tool (enhance often succeeds without reforged or imbued mods).

Last edited:

gwen

Slightly Crazed
@Scott1234 my guess they had some ideas about it , different pelt colors give different property. Like dragon scales or leather. But then they ditched it and released as is. Same with gargoyle cloth armor or altering.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can't enhance anything that isn't made only of leather. That applies to both the Eodon armor types, the assassin's cowl and the mage's hood. My best suggestion for a luck suit if you don't like the leather cap or jingasa is a circlet, which is medable and can be worn by human chars, reforge with copper/bronze runic hammer and enhance with gold.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
you can't enhance anything that isn't made only of leather. That applies to both the Eodon armor types, the assassin's cowl and the mage's hood. My best suggestion for a luck suit if you don't like the leather cap or jingasa is a circlet, which is medable and can be worn by human chars, reforge with copper/bronze runic hammer and enhance with gold.
Petra - you forget that Bone can be enhanced. It may not get the leather color anymore (that stopped back around SE or ML), but you can enhance bone, and it isn't "just leather".
For that matter, it's now possible to enhance looted Dragon armor pieces (that don't have a colored scale attached to it at the time of generation) with colored scales, last I checked.

It's that kind of inconsistency that can cause hair loss from pulling, but I understand WHY they didn't want to complicate the coding of the ToL (and SA, to an extent) items, as a lot of the systems from before the current dev crew's time were woefully undocumented/commented from EA's belief that UO would only run 1-3 years, at most. (based on comments by past team members at the live 20th anniversary party). Trying to integrate some of the new systems risked breaking the old ones.