• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can your sampire stand toe-to-toe with a GD w/o honor?

Aeneas

Adventurer
Guys, if your sampire and stand and cut down a GD w/o the help of honor, I want to know about your gear and template.

No running off screen to heal,no honor, no pot and no EoO. I can’t seem to be able to pull this off.

Thank you.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Where are you running into issues? Not healing enough per hit, or just missing too much? I just ran to Destard and killed a GD without EoO/Honor, didn't have an issue. I used AI on a Bladed Staff with Dragon Slayer.

Out of curiosity I tried again with a non-slayer weapon, and while it's much more difficult, it's still possible if you use your Evasion/Confidence correctly. I did have to run a couple time due to bad hit streak, but I reset on a new GD and eventually killed it. The AI difference between a slayer and no slayer is 178 vs 53. Quite a huge difference when you are reliant on life and mana leeching to sustain.

Aeneas

Adventurer
I am running a super slayer which is between slayer and regular weapon as far as damage is concern.

The problem I have is bad miss streak. If I miss 3 times in a row then I have to evade. If the next miss streak happen before the evade timer is up then I would be in trouble.

I have 120hp, that maybe where my issue is.

Do you have HLD? I don't

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not having HLD will impact you a lot. Especially if the greater dragon spawned with over 120 Wrestling.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I agree that HLD is pretty essential for them. I run M&S helm to get it. If you don't proc it early, or start off the fight with a bad hit streak it will just go downhill from there. If you land HLD early and it should be doable.

My Bladed Staff is 100HML, 50HSL, Dragon Slayer, 40DI, 50HL. I have refined armor, so 75 in all res, 20 defense, around 65 parry, and 148 Hits. The GD hits hard, but as long as I can get a hit in I will heal the damage he did. With 120HP you might be hard pressed to survive 3 hits in a row (they seem to average around 40+dmg per hit).

You could try making a new weapon that is HML, HSL, HLD, Slayer, and then DI if you need it or HLL (or whatever you prefer for 5th).

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That was going to be my next questions.

1. Are you on a swamp dragon Paroxy, or armored
2. Is your suit refined for higher physical at the very least

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your on Swamp Dragon are you using Regular or Exceptional Barding?

Regular is 10% damage absorption
Exceptional is 20% damage absorption

To be honest if your not using EoO or Perfection your gimping yourself. Less damage you do less life leached back.

Aeneas

Adventurer
That was going to be my next questions.

1. Are you on a swamp dragon Paroxy, or armored
2. Is your suit refined for higher physical at the very least
Nope, I am on an ethy. I am using GD at the moment as my gold standard to test my sampire so I do not take full advantage of everything (such as lesser slayer for example). When I move to Rikktor, I'll use Dragon slayer, swamp dragon, pot etc. I use GD as a baby test Rikktor.

My suit is 70 everything. I run as human. I'll try to see if I can fit in HLD. I use a totem for its 20 str (and Jackal for 15 dex) at the moment. Most good armors are brittle which I am not a fan of. Brittle is still 10x better than antique however.

Aeneas

Adventurer
You could try making a new weapon that is HML, HSL, HLD, Slayer, and then DI if you need it or HLL (or whatever you prefer for 5th).
This is the hard part. My weapon is rather basic with HML, HSL, 30SSI and some DI (I left it at exceptional DI bonus). I didn't get any whetstone to fit in something else onto that slot yet. One of my suit does not need DI on a weapon to get to 100% DI so that's an option.

I figure, I'll need 2 weapons (one double axe and one bladed staff) for each slayer group. That's a lot of whetstones. I am looking to build a suit utilizing only 3 slots for weapon enhancement at the moment.

I can get the GD about 1/3 to half the time so it's very possible to fine tune my skills and armor a little more and get the GD all the time :)

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is the hard part. My weapon is rather basic with HML, HSL, 30SSI and some DI (I left it at exceptional DI bonus). I didn't get any whetstone to fit in something else onto that slot yet. One of my suit does not need DI on a weapon to get to 100% DI so that's an option.

I figure, I'll need 2 weapons (one double axe and one bladed staff) for each slayer group. That's a lot of whetstones. I am looking to build a suit utilizing only 3 slots for weapon enhancement at the moment.

I can get the GD about 1/3 to half the time so it's very possible to fine tune my skills and armor a little more and get the GD all the time :)
If you are using 2 handed weapons, you don't need whetstones. Just craft non exceptional weapons and work with 550 Weight. Much cheaper/easier.

Another part is to get as much SSi on the suit itself as you can. If you can get 20 ssi on jewels, and 5 ssi from town buff you won't need swing speed for a bladed staff @ 150+ Stamina.

Keeping the ssi low on the weapon will keep your leeches high on the weapon. This can make a large difference in chaining armor ignores.

Aeneas

Adventurer
I took all of the advice I got from you guys

+ No need to max SSI on the bladed staff. Which lets me put 62 HML on the weapon with 20 SSI (with 50HSL).
+ HLD, I was able to put 50% HLD on the weapon
+ Dragon slayer (since I use whetstone on my weapon now, I don't want to try out super slayer like I originally planned).

Total SSI is 35, 100DI and 122 hp

I had to use whetstone on the bladed staff to get the 5th slot (20SSI, 50 HSL, 62 HML, 50 HLD and Dragon slayer).

With that combo, I can solo GD w/o running around to heal and to avoid its claw on an ethy w/o honor or masteries or pots or DF or CW. I basically did not cast any Chiv spell and the only bushido I used was evasion.

At one point, I almost killed 2 GDs together with some moving around to avoid the second GD melee attack.

My next try is to drop DCI on my gear to utilize counter strike.

I've seen a suit with 190hp and 180 stamina and a healthy amount of mana. Imagine what that suit can do!

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Glad you were able to get it working for you! May I ask though, why you are testing in such a way? (No Chiv, no Honor, no Swamp Dragon). Are you testing a new build of some kind, or is it more of just an "is it possible" type test?

Counter Attack is great once you get the rhythm down. It will utilize any queued special abilities (but using CA will cancel any currently queued specials, so you need to CA then queue special). So you can get free Armor Ignores and Double Strikes in if you time it right.

Aeneas

Adventurer
Glad you were able to get it working for you! May I ask though, why you are testing in such a way? (No Chiv, no Honor, no Swamp Dragon). Are you testing a new build of some kind, or is it more of just an "is it possible" type test?

Counter Attack is great once you get the rhythm down. It will utilize any queued special abilities (but using CA will cancel any currently queued specials, so you need to CA then queue special). So you can get free Armor Ignores and Double Strikes in if you time it right.
Yes, I am training for:

+ The ability to survive with ~150 damage output (slayer or perfection+EoO, just not both).

+ Taking in ~50 net hit.

Basically, it comes down to when to run, when cast and general mana/stamina managements. There's only a handful of macro (vs 20+ or so on my necro mage when I pvped). The hard part so far is learn how to cast with 0 fc/fcr. I can't seem to cast between bleeding ticks and it seems like casting also resets swing speed counter.

When I put 1/3 fc/fcr on my sampire, my success rate actually went up. With my very limited test, with 2/3, I can tank GD when not in vampire form.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Brittle is still 10x better than antique however.
What other choices have you got? besides artifacts (non replica) you can only imbue or find great brittle pieces and both imbued and brittle take bloody ages to wear away. Brittle is x1000 better than antique just to make that statement more accurate...

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just returning back after a long spell of I'll health but I have written several detailed posts on crafting your own sampire suits in the past. You need not spend a fortune if you spend time crafting the right base piece then enhancing after imbuing ( I would use a forged metal though) I have like 30ssi on my suit and max str/dex without potions... It will take some effort but it's all in the base pieces and farming a couple decent jewels. If you have a T-hunter you can get some great loot from treasure maps. If not just good old fashioned crafting and imbue /enhance and refine. Good luck!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Guys, if your sampire and stand and cut down a GD w/o the help of honor, I want to know about your gear and template.

No running off screen to heal,no honor, no pot and no EoO. I can’t seem to be able to pull this off.

Thank you.
I know you've already gotten some answers on this thread and seem to have come up with your own response... but have you tried using a Daisho? Daisho - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Feint and double strike are the specials. With 100% Cold Elemental, and properties like Dragon Slayer, Hit Lower Attack, Hit Lower Defense, Hit Harm... you should be able to crush it out while maintaining survivability. If you have 180 Stam and 30% SSI, you should be able to hit fast enough and have enough stam protection to take a hit without sacrificing the rate you swing at.