• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Can you Reinforce Artifacts

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it possible to Reinforce Artifacts like the Jackals Collar and Rune Beatles Caprice?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you mean enhance them? If so then no you can't.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No I mean use Reinforcement on them. The method that some people use to get their armor to go from 70 to 75 in resist.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Refinements. I've never done it myself but I'm 99% sure you can refine artifacts.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If it's possible, if the item has Mage Armor (I think the Carapace does) you may have to get the NPC to remove the property before you can reinforce. I've been begging since Reinforcements were introduced to have someone volunteer to submit a better "how to" and FAQ for the process, but still no takers after years of asking.

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, artifacts can be refined (Basara is correct, it cannot be medable or have the mage armor property).

you are able to re-refine an item for different/additional cap modifiers, but you cannot ever put it back to its "pre-refined" state.

@Basara : I thought that I had seen a written guide from stratics that seemed pretty straightforward. I will look for a link later on.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's pretty much verbatim what was told to us when the system was announced.

And, you will notice it was also never completed (the near-empty tables at the bottom). Petra's not even a staff member anymore.

Hence, the need for a more complete writeup, especially one that actually reflects experience using the system and collecting the ingredients.

If you want an idea why just going by the original information is bad, look at Tailor BODs. We went 8 years or so thinking they worked like Smith BODs. when it turned out that somewhere in the implementation, at a point never announced - or even documented IN the code, instead of the 50% chance of exceptional of Smith, Tailor BODs were coded with only a 33% chance of exceptional (1 in 3 instead of 1 in 2). Even some DEVS didn't know this until a bunch of us documented drops for 6 months, and saw the 33% - at which point Draconi and others went in, and found that the code said 1 in 3.
Prior to then, everyone went by what was said pre-release, that they would function exactly like Smith BODs (we went through all the archived publish and patch notes that survived, and NONE of them gave the final info).
Of course, someone directly involved with the BODs turned out knowing, but never bothered to tell anyone or answer questions (which is why we would ask the company rep "Why aren't we getting 50% exceptional?" they'd turn around, ask the person who knew the code "the players are reporting not getting the correct number of exceptional Tailor BODs" (WHICH IS NOT THE SAME THING), and the person would reply "We tested it, and there's nothing wrong with the code" (which again, is a correct answer for the CR, but not the question that the players was asking). Only when someone at Origin/EA who THOUGHT they knew the answer asked the person who still knew about the 1/3 coding specifically REFERRING to the 50% everyone thought was the drop rate, that it got figured out - somewhere between 2008-2010, and people had been noticing the discrepancy and asking about it (AND SCREAMING ABOUT IT HERE ON STRATICS) since AT LEAST the launch of Age of Shadows in 2003!!!