• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can ya spare something buddy? Just a few coins so I can go see my buddy Jim Beam...

• Thread starter Prince Caspian
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
P

Prince Caspian

Ok so I recently discovered the "acquired by begging" feature. While the Britiannians seem to give out gold (no joke, I got enough for a boat after about an hour or two of begging. Wow. Now that's one upwardly mobile mendicant)

Anyhoo, I was hoping to get some info about what is available through soliciting NPC charity. With a 55-skill beggar, this is what I get....

Water -- Those elves sure believe in staying hydrated. I get this like 65% of the time.

French bread -- La pain de Francias is another favorite, I seem to get this like 20% of the time.

Pitcher of liquor -- Wow. I must think this must be a real-life bum's version of a fantasy adventure world... someone gives you a pitcher of popskull when you stick out your hand. I get this maybe 5% of the time.

Shirt -- Gotta admire the fellows that will literally give you the shirt off their back. Like 5% so far for me.

Miscellaneous food items -- Cheese wedges, stew, etc. Like 5% of the time.

Anyhow, my question is, I know you can get nifty stuff like the Bedroll and the Garland.... but I've yet to see them show up. Do I need a certain skill? Also, does it matter which NPC I hit up?

L

Loqucious

Ok so I recently discovered the "acquired by begging" feature. While the Britiannians seem to give out gold (no joke, I got enough for a boat after about an hour or two of begging. Wow. Now that's one upwardly mobile mendicant)

Anyhoo, I was hoping to get some info about what is available through soliciting NPC charity. With a 55-skill beggar, this is what I get....

Water -- Those elves sure believe in staying hydrated. I get this like 65% of the time.

French bread -- La pain de Francias is another favorite, I seem to get this like 20% of the time.

Pitcher of liquor -- Wow. I must think this must be a real-life bum's version of a fantasy adventure world... someone gives you a pitcher of popskull when you stick out your hand. I get this maybe 5% of the time.

Shirt -- Gotta admire the fellows that will literally give you the shirt off their back. Like 5% so far for me.

Miscellaneous food items -- Cheese wedges, stew, etc. Like 5% of the time.

Anyhow, my question is, I know you can get nifty stuff like the Bedroll and the Garland.... but I've yet to see them show up. Do I need a certain skill? Also, does it matter which NPC I hit up?
It would be cool if you could beg a peerless or some powerful moster out of an arty. Course the chances would have to be very very small.

P

Prince Caspian

That would be awsome Lo...lol

Heh. I can see it now. I use my 100 Begging on Baldy when I'm down to 3 hitpoints and no bandies.

Suddenly I'm teleported out, with the following text:

"You pleas reached Paryoximous' noxious heart. He agrees to let you live. You scamper out of the Palace."

P

packrat

It would be cool if you could beg a peerless or some powerful moster out of an arty. Course the chances would have to be very very small.
That would be a cool idea. I bet you would see a million beggars stomping around UO then.

L

Lord Drakelord

items such as the fish steak, bed roll, flower garland, fishing pole, sake and turnip you have like a 1% chance of getting them, lanterns, are like 10%, cheese, stew, liquer are like 20%, water, french bread are like the rest of %

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And most of them have two possible facings. I would beg every 3rd NPC during trick or treating, going for skill gains, and managed to get most of the rare begging items - anyone on LA interested in some of my extras (especially in trade for the rares I don't have)?

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember on the beta for mondains legacy you could get the glass mugs like the ones that are in magincia where the tavern used to be but some rare collectors complained about it so they changed it to the glass pitchers. I actually would have liked getting the mugs.

F

Fink

Do I need a certain skill?

Begging skill only determines your chance to succeed an attempt (eg: at 67.0 skill, you have a 67% chance to succeed a beg).

Your karma determines how much gold you can get from human NPC's, basically a cap on the random amount received. Pure chance determines what item a Heartwood elf may give you on a successful attempt; the percentage chance of particular items varies greatly.

Also, does it matter which NPC I hit up?

Humans give gold (with a few exceptions who give nothing), elves in the Heartwood give "acquired by begging" items, but otherwise no, the npc type doesn't come into play.