• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can we rethink these ME FIRST ME FIRST events?

• Thread starter Prince Caspian
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
P

Prince Caspian

Lately we have two kinds of monsters in these repetitive "invasion" angles:

1 - The monsters that sometimes spawn a coveted item.
2 - Annoyingly tenacious and tough supporting monsters that give you absolutely nothing at all.

As such, we get these "ME FIRST!!!" trample-villes. Everyone is stampeding over to the possible goodie monster and leading the useless supporting monsters to others.

In short, there's no community, there's only competition. This game rewards selfish behavior but never, ever fosters any kind of community or teamwork for these events. There's absolutely no reward for helping others out, only for doing damage to the top baddie.

These "community events" ONLY reward the people who do the most damage to a monster. Which just reinforces the "all for none and all for me" mentality. What about people like Queen Mum, who spend hours rezzing people and posting supplies? That's important, it's not as fun, and it helps others, not her. Doesn't that deserve something?

So we get an opportunity for a drop every time we do a portion of major damage to a foe. Nifty. That doesn't need to change at all. However, why not have a chance for a drop when you are doing something like healing someone else, or ressing another character?

K

Kurgan

You should come to Napa.
In Cove we have a fun time till the spawn happens, once it does. We all help each other..
I am not sure if the same is on your shard.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I know is, it's been a looter's paradise on Siege. My Lg Tower is getting full, lol...la

C

Coppelia

Solution : make an invasion force that doesn't give special loot but give points according to the difficulty of the mob.
Then after the event, you can trade your points against stuff.
Consequence : even players who haven't the specific weapon to kill the said mob (hello unkillable berserkers) or those are not PvM killing machines or simply learning, can take part and enjoy the event. You can choose to take time to kill biggies or kill a lot of smallies.
And of course event manager can keep track of the point earned and adapt the event, make stages etc...

P

Prince Caspian

This is why I thought the original run of Halloween was such a refreshing change.

Trick or Treating or Pumpkin Farming were all combat-free ways of pursuing rares. Now you didn't have to be lucky enough to corner a monster and do the most damage to get the item. Even mule and newbie characters could partake.

However, my hopes that this trend would continue were ill-founded. The devs kept it back to the Monster Mash, all the time, every time -- where only the hardcore pointjuicers have a prayer of getting the items.

I mean, seriously -- for the past several of these "events" it was nothing more than waves of farmable monsters, to get some pixelcrack item. Creativity? Who needs it. Just throw another impossible monster in the mix with insane hitpoints and 1-hit-death.

D

Darkfern76

Building on Coppelia's idea why not create a new currency ( Say "battle commendations") which drop directly in to your back pack for fighting the invasion mobs. These " battle commendations" can then be traded in to an NPC ( specific to each different invasion ) for rewards etc.
This would also allow us to trade " Battle commendations" to the people who go to the trouble of doing little else but heal / ressurect and supply those fighting on the front lines.

Just an idea I thought I would put out there.....

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
candle of love was my favorite, it had puzzles and all not just killing monsters. pluss wasnt in a guardzone! :p

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Consequence : even players who haven't the specific weapon to kill the said mob (hello unkillable berserkers)
Uh, what are you talking about? Berserkers are easily solo'able. All you need is a mystic weapon.

I have a mystic skinning knife that I would use to solo them all the time. Took a bit of jousting but you could take one down in 2-3 min or less.

The key to any of these events is to LEARN how to succeed. You can't just use normal methods. Each one has a 'trick' or someting to help you take them down.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
lol
Guy on Catskills had a dread warhorse named like "FirstOnCats" or something similar..

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is why I thought the original run of Halloween was such a refreshing change.

Trick or Treating or Pumpkin Farming were all combat-free ways of pursuing rares. Now you didn't have to be lucky enough to corner a monster and do the most damage to get the item. Even mule and newbie characters could partake.

However, my hopes that this trend would continue were ill-founded. The devs kept it back to the Monster Mash, all the time, every time -- where only the hardcore pointjuicers have a prayer of getting the items.

I mean, seriously -- for the past several of these "events" it was nothing more than waves of farmable monsters, to get some pixelcrack item. Creativity? Who needs it. Just throw another impossible monster in the mix with insane hitpoints and 1-hit-death.

would be nice to see more like the Halloween stuffs, ayup, and the puzzles of the Candle of Love ~~ frustrating but a really good time, and even this little tailor did it, yes

I'll take a little of both, tho, if you please... a good thrashing is fun too