• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Can we please please please have the option to disable mouse follow!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This has already gotten me killed a number of times, and it is a royal pain in the arse in pvp. Please please please give us the option to disable it! It just plain sucks. It is the one thing I've found that I truly hate about the enhanced client. :yell:

A

Ash

Just got me killed in the hallway to the puzzle room.. Suddenly mouse got stuck on follow and off running into the mine field little toon went and then gray world awaited him.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
This would be really cool!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just got me killed in the hallway to the puzzle room.. Suddenly mouse got stuck on follow and off running into the mine field little toon went and then gray world awaited him.
This exact same thing happened to me, and I think it is also related to a bug where my character will suddenly start running in a certain direction and the only thing I can do to stop him is to log off and on.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm wondering if the problem isn't it dropping into follow-the-mouse so much as the client misses a "mouse button up" event when it hits a hickup of lag and doesn't realize you aren't still holding the right mouse button down?

(though I suppose one could have an option for keys-only movement)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm wondering if the problem isn't it dropping into follow-the-mouse so much as the client misses a "mouse button up" event when it hits a hickup of lag and doesn't realize you aren't still holding the right mouse button down?

Well actually most of my movement is "keys-only" via the thumb joystick on my G13 game board. It truly rocks when it works properly, and I've been accused of speed hacking many times as a result. I do have problems every now and again when I get into intense button mashing, and that may be related to your thought.

edit: I've created a macro with up key events for all my movement keys. We'll see if that fixes the problem. I'll report back when I've had a chance to test it.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not sure if this is the same "issue" or not, but my BIGGEST complaint with the EC is sometimes (more often than I would like) my toon acts as if I am holding down the right mouse button and "driving" when in fact I am not. Almost like pathfinding in 2D, but not the same.

After reading this thread I think this is the problem I am having as well. I like to use my mouse to control my toon so I would rather they fix the issue than just make it a toggle.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe can we please have a client patch? Ideas are good but not more...

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you mean when you hold the right mouse button and click the left mouse button, then it keeps running after you let go?

No way, keep it. How else am I supposed to chat while PvPing?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This exact same thing happened to me, and I think it is also related to a bug where my character will suddenly start running in a certain direction and the only thing I can do to stop him is to log off and on.

Well actually most of my movement is "keys-only" via the thumb joystick on my G13 game board. It truly rocks when it works properly, and I've been accused of speed hacking many times as a result. I do have problems every now and again when I get into intense button mashing, and that may be related to your thought.

edit: I've created a macro with up key events for all my movement keys. We'll see if that fixes the problem. I'll report back when I've had a chance to test it.
That macro didn't fix the problem with running off in a particular direction. I think that problem is related to using the arrow keys for movement and depressing ctrl-shift at the same time. I don't think it is related to the mouse follow issue.

Do you mean when you hold the right mouse button and click the left mouse button, then it keeps running after you let go?

Fine, you like it, that's great. All I'm asking is that there is an option to turn it off in the enhanced client, the way there is in the 2D client.

M

maroite

100% /agree with this. PLEASE give us the option to turn it off.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, my reading comprehension wasn't kicking in and I thought you were asking for its complete removal. I agree with the more options for things, the better.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

:D

That gave me a laugh.

Anyways, I was just bumping this for the devs to see!

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, please do not disable that! I use it all the time, makes running around so much more relaxed. Add a toggle somewhere to allow or disallow the funcion would be fine. Disabling it completetly... Dear God! No!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
As I said above, all I'm asking for is the option to turn it off. I realize some people will like it.

P

pgcd

I would be happy if there was a switch, but you do realize you just need to right click once and it's gone, right? Once you get used to it, it's nowhere near as annoying, I believe.

F

Fink

I find it randomly activates without the necessary click sequence. This and rubber-banding are the things that upset my stealthing the most. If I could guarantee the mouse-follow will never activate (I never use it by choice) then that would be half the problems solved.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I would be happy if there was a switch, but you do realize you just need to right click once and it's gone, right?
I use the thumb joystick on my G13 for movement, and because not everything fits on the pad, there are things I have to do with my mouse while I'm moving. Having your character suddenly start following your mouse around at top speed can mean the difference between success and failure in pvp, and in certain situations, such as the trapped path to the puzzle board quest, it can mean the difference between life and death. And it can all happen before you have a chance to right click.

I'm getting used to it, but it is a problem, and it should be fixed. But at this point it has been months since the last patch that actually addressed any of the problems with the Enhanced Client, and I am getting a bit discouraged. The fact that more than half the dev team was apparently laid off leads me to believe that we aren't going to see a patch for some time to come. There are some serious (in game terms) problems with the client, and this is only one of them.

It's too bad. The game really felt like it was undergoing a true Renaissance with the new client, and the new expansion with wonderful additions like imbuing, but it really feels like EA has thrown a spanner in the works with the layoffs, and I am beginning to seriously wonder what their long term plans for UO really are.

F

Fink

it really feels like EA has thrown a spanner in the works with the layoffs, and I am beginning to seriously wonder what their long term plans for UO really are.
The plan seems to be whenever we look like "winning" - making an expansion, making a sequel, making a new client - they move the team, or fire them, or otherwise screw with the situation and ruin our chances. It's ridiculous how often this has happened throughout UO's history, almost as if it were direct sabotage.