• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can tamer skills be safely modified with jewelry, or do they need to be "real"?

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I'm a bard/tamer who runs the peacemaking mastery song(s) as needed, and discords mobs as I fight. Currently, I've had to stone off Veterinary to run Taming/Lore/Music/Peace/Discord/Magery. I'm hoping to add back in Vet by using + skill gear.

I'm trying to determine if there are hidden penalties in not having 120 "real" skill in taming/lore. For comparison, I know that not having 120 real skill in bard skills reduces the impact of the bard mastery songs. I'm just wondering if there's anything like that regarding animal taming / animal lore.

Here's my proposed template:

SkillReal skillModified skill
Animal Taming110120
Animal Lore110120
Veterinary70100
Musicianship120120
Peacemaking120120
Discordance120120
Magery70100

Because I'll be running the bard mastery, I'm not worried about the reduced benefit of taming masteries. I'm always in a group, and I believe the benefit to the group of the peacemaking buffs outweighs the individual value of a taming mastery like Consume Damage - which only benefits my pet.

Any knowledge on this subject would be very much appreciated. I've tried searching for this information, but may not have searched for the proper key words as I haven't found anything definitive.

Thank you.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
If I remember right, the only "penalty" is with the animal taming mastery spells which work off real skill.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The only penalty is for the mastery, there are no other hidden ones. I run a lot of taming jewls on one char and have never had any issue at all with the higher end pets.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you die and get ressed you need to put on your jewelry and not give commands until you have your skills back on.

Check pet loyalty after you are ressed and ready.

You are also short a few stable spots with those tamer skills.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If you die and get ressed you need to put on your jewelry and not give commands until you have your skills back on.
With both Taming and Lore at 110 real skill that should not be a problem? With 108 being the highest taming requirement? Checking is always a good idea though!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will never tell a player to not have 120. Seen too many pets go poof because they chose to be a partial tamer. A returner lost a PP WW with 750 str the other day at the Crazy Mage because he died and the pet died and left no ghost. The player was using jewels for taming skill. I came there to res him and saw the pet die.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I also always aspire to 120 Taming and Lore. But I don’t wait to play a tamer until they are maxed. Most of my guys are somewhere between 90 and 120 real taming and lore from a Mythic Token build. I have had zero problems provided I dress after death and feed my pets every so often.

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Combat training and a few stones are your friend. I was 90 tame forever. I don`t have the patience to tame my way to legendary. Never thought i`d ever be legendary. Stoned off all skills but tame and lore and than 2 days later,boom.120.