• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

can someone please explain this to me.

Beatress

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
uo patch po
Glorious Fortune Potion Update – Ultima Online
We’ve made a tweak to the “Glorious Fortune” potion. Players under the effects of the “Anti-AFK” penalty, won’t be able to use this potion. If you’ve already consumed the potion and then get the “Anti-AFK” penalty, the potion’s duration will be adjusted to ensure you get its full benefits.
st

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
uo patch po
Glorious Fortune Potion Update – Ultima Online
We’ve made a tweak to the “Glorious Fortune” potion. Players under the effects of the “Anti-AFK” penalty, won’t be able to use this potion. If you’ve already consumed the potion and then get the “Anti-AFK” penalty, the potion’s duration will be adjusted to ensure you get its full benefits.
st

There is an afk penalty that does not allow you to attack anything for an hour if you are tagged by the UO detection system.

Some players have said they were tagged but they were not afk.

Since this is a timed store item they decided to stop the timer when you are tagged as afk.

Your time will continue after your penalty expires.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
I thought he meant like why bother adjusting time. Like WOW! look at big brother taking care of us! Cus UO notorious for that... leave it to luck that Pawain sees the glass half full and respond before me. Good job!

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
penalty doesn't sound good, so what causes one get flagged with an Anti-AFK penalty?

Thanks!

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Casting to slowly if your a mage is what they came up with on the other forum

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
penalty doesn't sound good, so what causes one get flagged with an Anti-AFK penalty?

Thanks!
No one really knows. I had a Bard character tagged while in the middle of Discording creatures from a boat. I also had a Mage tagged, while actively fighting the spawn and hopping on and off our boat. Most people assumed that is was just standing around, inactive, for 15 min, but there is more to it. The 2 situations I described, I was fighting 60 seconds before I could no longer fight.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They wrote "AFK detection" code so that they could action players without having to have a GMs interact with the players. Effectively they wrote a script so that they could penalize "afk players" while being AFK themselves. We would not know if it is working as intended because when asked about it last year at the M&G, they refuse to discuss it at all.

It would appear by their change to the way this potion works that it is not working as intended or that there is enough question about it that they feel the need to modify other systems to accommodate for "false positives".

I'd like to also put Broadsword's mission statement out here (from their website - one of their 3 core values as a company) because their response to questions about this is completely opposite of one of their 3 "core values".

Transparency
We are transparent internally and externally about our games. We strive for smooth communication with our communities about events, changes, tweaks, additions, and improvements to our products. We'll always err on the side of more versus less. We're also transparent internally and share our metrics, analytics, financials, feedback and roadmaps with everyone in the company to foster collaboration in our decision making."

As far as how it get's applied, who knows. I ran three mages casting EVs and moving 5 or 6 tiles in different directions after each cast and all 3 were flagged within 15 minutes.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
It’s quite common for enforcement not to disclose their methods of detection for obvious and reasonable reasons.

That said, none of “my friends” bots has ever been hit by this afk flag. So whatever they are doing isn’t working very well.

Think it only comes Into effect if you stop moving, but bots never stop moving.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't know what flags you but I'd venture to guess that if you're chatting in party chat, that prevents the afk tagging. Wonder how those groups of bots communicate....

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The AFK detection code is hot garbage. Just like everything else they code. I've seen quite a few of my guildies get hit with this even though they were playing their character. And don't bother paging a GM about it because they could care less.