• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can someone please advise on this template?

Istaria

Visitor
Hi guys,

I'm not very experienced with UO, but I'm having a blast with it. Hoping to create something close to my personal idea of a go-anywhere adventurer. I've tried to outline my basic idea below, and would appreciate you guys poking holes in it before I get committed.

Advice on basic gear would also be wonderful :)

- Animal Taming - 120 - obvious reasons :)
- Animal Lore - 120 - same!
- Spellweaving - 120 - AOE (Thunderstorm, Essence of Wind), various buffs, some healing, Word of Death
- Magery - 85-ish? - utility only, Gate is the highest level spell I can see myself using. Invis will be a staple (see below)
- Necro - 120? - Curses, more AOE, forms - may not need this high?
- SS - 100+? - Again, AOE and DD - unsure on this, will take advice.
- Meditation - anything left

Stoned skills:
- Cartography - t-hunting - stoned on to decipher only
- Lockpicking - t-hunting - stoned on to unlock the chest, then tele back home and stone off
- Mining - t-hunting (may not need, intending to get a Davies)
- Fishing

I am envisioning (with a little prudent swapping) a solo treasure hunting, spawn murdering, paragon farming, and occasional sea-serpent-walloping kind of character.

I won't have any crafters (I'll buy or find what I need), and I won't be dual-accounting or multi-boxing.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I may be overdoing it with the AOE wants here....I am thinking if I can drop Necro and SS, or at least keep them to a minimum (wraith form, maybe corpse flesh?) I can open a lot of options. Will SW be enough AoE for say levels 1-3 of a spawn?

Aes.

Last edited:

Istaria

Visitor
Hi Mo,

I thought of Vet, but reading up it seems a lot of people drop this for something else. I am not knowledgable enough to know if that's wise or requires elite-level skill (which I do not have).

Depending on necro and SS needs, I might be able to put that in at reasonably high level instead of Med, and try to compensate with lots of mana regeneration. I'm also thinking I'd be most of my time in wraith form, which hopefully will help.

I just don't want to run out of mana when trying to WOD down a big nasty....

MoMan

Adventurer
Personally, I'd drop necro and ss in favor of vet and med. the rest is whatever you want. without Vet, you can not res your pet

Istaria

Visitor
Do you think the Spellweaving AOEs will be enough to handle the first couple of levels of a spawn?

If so, I like this idea, because I could also look at some level of resist (which I like running)....

MoMan

Adventurer
I haven't run SW in years, but from what I'm seeing with a good pet with AoE and SW AoE. you'll be good

I myself run a stealth tamer, so maybe other tamers could weigh in and advise better. hehe

Istaria

Visitor
The question of a good pet is one I will be back with....seems taming is no longer a case of shouting ALL KILL and letting your GD do everything :)

Mind me asking what is the benefit of stealth over invis? Sorry for stupid question :/

EDIT: Disregard, it's a different skill altogether. I see now that stealth is the ability to move while hidden or invis. Useful....I will consider this too!

Last edited:

MoMan

Adventurer
I used to be a Peace tamer, but Stealth is so much fun...LOL
as far as deciding on a pet. there are a few really good ones. some are fairly specific and they can be built to suit your need/mobs you're fighting.

Personally I'm a fan of the Cu and Naja. But everyone has the pets they prefer.

Istaria

Visitor
Boiling down what I want (AOE, a tank, single target damage, utility), I get:

- Spellweaving - 120 - AOE (Thunderstorm, Essence of Wind), various buffs, some healing, Word of Death

...as the essentials. Really pleased with this. It allows me to play with Vet, med, focus, maybe stealth, parry, wrestling, perhaps mysticism.....loving it.

Now all I need to do is figure out taming (it got COMPLICATED), level it up of course, and learn about gear.

Being a newbie is actually a lot of fun :)

Thank you man!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The best Taming forum on the internet just happens to be here: UO Tamer

Pull up a seat.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Boiling down what I want (AOE, a tank, single target damage, utility), I get:

...as the essentials. Really pleased with this. It allows me to play with Vet, med, focus, maybe stealth, parry, wrestling, perhaps mysticism.....loving it.

Now all I need to do is figure out taming (it got COMPLICATED), level it up of course, and learn about gear.

Being a newbie is actually a lot of fun :)

Thank you man!
It can be fun raising up a new character, for sure. Don't forget there is Test Center where you can set your stats and skills, get some equipment, reagents and other stuff. It allows trying different skill combos (at least).

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have a tamer with 120 tame, lore, sw, mage, necro, ss, and 40med. You can really take down spawn fast with it. Prob one of my favorite spawn templates. You can lower mage for more med, but I don't have many mana issues. Only downside to this template is it's not good for much other than spawns. Also, I never use vet, level 3 primer plus gift of renewal works perfect. I haven't had to rez a pet in months, and if I do I have a few pet rez pots in my bag. Also u can drop mage for resist in spawns like undead, but I usually just steer clear of that one.

Shiranui Renn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm running what you probably would call "classic tamer" and I still have plenty of fun playing my Tamer.

Tamer_Skills.JPG

My philosophy as a Tamer is "lean back and watch your pet do all the work".
I have 2 main pets. For spawn I'm using a lesser Hiryu with WW and Explo Goo. For single target a AI Cu.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With Soul Stones it’s pretty easy to mix and match. I use a base then swap out skills based on activities:

Base:
Magery
Eval
Spellweaving
Inscription (100)
Meditation (20)

On stone:
Taming & Lore
Necro & SS
Mystic & Focus
Cartography & Fishing

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I'm running what you probably would call "classic tamer" and I still have plenty of fun playing my Tamer.

View attachment 89399

I have 2 main pets. For spawn I'm using a lesser Hiryu with WW and Explo Goo. For single target a AI Cu.
Boy.. What a massive last two punches he could deliver for 600 HP damage each to finish the boss, if you stone Vet and replace it with SW 120! Also I find more and more difficult to keep close enough to the pet to vet it with some of the nastier bosses retargeting and AoEing you..Sad that they do not make tele-bandies so you can bandie the pet from afar like magery heals..on which most of us rely lots of times since we cannot get close enough safely to vet...I don't know of anything else in the game that can deliver 600 HP punches.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi guys,

I'm not very experienced with UO, but I'm having a blast with it. Hoping to create something close to my personal idea of a go-anywhere adventurer. I've tried to outline my basic idea below, and would appreciate you guys poking holes in it before I get committed.

Advice on basic gear would also be wonderful :)

- Magery - 85-ish? - utility only, Gate is the highest level spell I can see myself using. Invis will be a staple (see below)
- Necro - 120? - Curses, more AOE, forms - may not need this high?
- SS - 100+? - Again, AOE and DD - unsure on this, will take advice.
- Meditation - anything left

Stoned skills:
- Cartography - t-hunting - stoned on to decipher only
- Lockpicking - t-hunting - stoned on to unlock the chest, then tele back home and stone off
- Mining - t-hunting (may not need, intending to get a Davies)
- Fishing

I am envisioning (with a little prudent swapping) a solo treasure hunting, spawn murdering, paragon farming, and occasional sea-serpent-walloping kind of character.

I won't have any crafters (I'll buy or find what I need), and I won't be dual-accounting or multi-boxing.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I may be overdoing it with the AOE wants here....I am thinking if I can drop Necro and SS, or at least keep them to a minimum (wraith form, maybe corpse flesh?) I can open a lot of options. Will SW be enough AoE for say levels 1-3 of a spawn?

Aes.
For an AoE pet that works great on Lvl 1-3 spawn, use a Najasaurus with FWW+Poison Breath. Highest AoE pet i've seen, plus they're fairly tankish if you take the time to get a good 2 slot one.

View attachment 89399

That template has actually received a bit of a boost with the change to Magery's "Death Ray" Mastery, now that Slayer spell books apply to it. Get your pet to tank the mob, equip the appropriate Slayer spellbook, and channel Death Ray and watch the mob's health melt. A pet with Disco+Conductive Blast synergizes extremely well with this build (due to Death Ray dealing Energy damage), for some crazy high Death Ray ticks. I've seen Death Ray tick for 440+ damage on a discorded GD under the effects of Conductive Blast with a Dragon Slayer spellbook before.
Cu Sidhes can learn Disco+Conductive Blast, and make for pretty good tanks, but if you want more offense, go with a Unicorn that has nothing but Discord+Conductive Blast. Once it get's the enemy Discorded, the Unicorn will just spam the hell out of Conductive Blast, boosting your Death Ray damage.
Seriously, hitting a Discorded+Conducted opponent with Death Ray ticks from an appropriate Slayer spellbook, basically looks like this. Even WoD can't match the consistent damage of a good Death Ray.

Last edited:

Shiranui Renn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Boy.. What a massive last two punches he could deliver for 600 HP damage each to finish the boss, if you stone Vet and replace it with SW 120! Also I find more and more difficult to keep close enough to the pet to vet it with some of the nastier bosses retargeting and AoEing you..Sad that they do not make tele-bandies so you can bandie the pet from afar like magery heals..on which most of us rely lots of times since we cannot get close enough safely to vet...I don't know of anything else in the game that can deliver 600 HP punches.
I don‘t like to rely on stuff like potions or buffs and WoD only works well if your spellweaver has a high enough focus. Same goes for my gear. On all my chars it's always build without any need for extra buffs to work. I don't care if my chars can't dish out the highest possible dmg because it's just non-relevant in PvE.
Even with skills like SW on my tamer I would still just watch my pet fighting and never cast a single attack spell to do some dmg myself at the same time.