• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Can someone explain imbuing and item properties?

• Thread starter Marshall Inc.
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

Marshall Inc.

I've pretty much avoided learning how item properties and intensities work up until this point and need a crash course :p

When I look at armor/weaps, I'm confused at how to tell

1) whether or not it will unravel a relic
2) which properties are better than others (in terms of increasing the item's total property weight)

From my understanding, it's beneficial to take loot and enhance it with leather/ingots to increase the properties/intensities. I would appreciate someone explaining how I can make the most of this. i.e., is it better to always enhance with valorite/barbed, or is it better to look at the item and figure out where it's weaknesses are and enhance accordingly?

And for clarification, an item can have between 0-100% intensity, but some properties have their maximum intensity less than 100%? For example, SSI has its max intensity at 35%?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Item Identification can do that work for you, about what something will unravel to, but others can tell almost by sight, without it.

The DISPLAYED amount of a property is not the Intensity. That is where a lot of your confusion comes from.

The intensity range is actually the minimum and maximum a property can spawn as.
  • A property that is either "there" or "not there" has a 100% intensity if present. For example, "Faster casting 1" or Spell Channeling with a -1 penalty. (Spell channeling without a penalty is both these combined as two properties, for 200% intensity)
  • Properties (other than leeches) that actually range to 100% (rare) have their displayed amount as their intensity.
  • Properties with a short range have the equivalent of their percentage of their desplayed, compared to their maximum, as their intensity. For example, since Hit Point Regeneration is either 1 or 2 value normally, HP Regen 1 is 50% intensity, and HP Regen 2 is 100% intensity. Swing Speed Increase is normally 30% maximum intensity, so each 5% step is 1/6 of 100% as its intensity (33.3% at SSI 10%, 50% at SSI 15%, etc.). Most Hit processes (spells, area damage, etc.) are up to 50% in their range, so 50% is 100% intensity, and you get the actual intensity by multiplying the displayed amount by 2.
  • The Hit Life Leech and Hit Mana Leech properties are special. They work like the above Hit effects, but there's an extra factor AFTER said calculation multiplied into the displayed amount, based on swing speed. Example: The Soul Seeker minor artifact has an ACTUAL intensity of 80% on Hit Mana Leech and Hit Life Leech. This used to display as 40%, before they changed how those two leeches worked. However, when Swing Speed (including SSI property) became a factor, the multiplier to the displayed amount (And how the property works) lowered the displayed amount by 25% Based on the effective swing speed, after incorporating the natural swing speed of a Radiant Scimitar, plus two "ticks" improvement from 60% SSI. For slow weapons, this works the opposite way, making the displayed number go over 50%. A REALLY slow weapon my display 100% in a leech, but really could be closer to 50% intensity, than 100%, because of the math. It's possible for something fast with a Leech property in the 30s, and a slow weapon with it in the 90s, to actually be the exact same intensity, despite the disparity in the display numbers.

M

Marshall Inc.

Basara you're amazing.

I've been using item id. I keep it at 51 after reading that the only difference between GM and non-GM is success rate and that it doesn't impact the ingredients you get from unravelling. With that said, why is there such discussion over the bonuses for unravelling? Does item id possibly take into account which forge I'm at and the other factors before displaying what the result of unravelling will be?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
no clue on that last question - it's something that really needs to be brought up with the devs.

Of course, my examples above are also mainly for unraveling, as they don't take into account property weights, either.

G

gandolfofaol

Item id does take in to account where you are when you use the skill. The way I get relic frags is to item id loot at my house. I sort the loot into 4 bags Residue,Essence,Relics and Jewelry. I then take the Residue bag and unravel it at the Queen's forge. A small percentage which actually become essence and if you take the time to item id them again they will display as essence. I then go back thru the bag that id's as essence and low and behold some will now id as relic frags. I add those to my bag of relic frags and unravel the relic frag items. I then take the items that should give essence and go back to my house. I then go thru and enhance all items with either valorite, barbed or frostwood. I then take all the items that survived enhancement and go back to the Queen's forge with Powder of Fortification in my bag. I then go back thru an item id all items. If an item says essence and it has a durability < 50 I apply a charge of PoF. Using this approach nets me several extra relic frags.

M

Marshall Inc.

Item id does take in to account where you are when you use the skill. The way I get relic frags is to item id loot at my house. I sort the loot into 4 bags Residue,Essence,Relics and Jewelry. I then take the Residue bag and unravel it at the Queen's forge. A small percentage which actually become essence and if you take the time to item id them again they will display as essence. I then go back thru the bag that id's as essence and low and behold some will now id as relic frags. I add those to my bag of relic frags and unravel the relic frag items. I then take the items that should give essence and go back to my house. I then go thru and enhance all items with either valorite, barbed or frostwood. I then take all the items that survived enhancement and go back to the Queen's forge with Powder of Fortification in my bag. I then go back thru an item id all items. If an item says essence and it has a durability < 50 I apply a charge of PoF. Using this approach nets me several extra relic frags.

Great walk-through, thanks.

I also read that sometimes you would want to imbue items before the enhancing step. Any idea on the tactics there? In another post it said that there was a penalty for imbuing of .8 (which I assume intended to say a .2 penalty, leaving .8 of the value). A .2 penalty is fairly significant and would make this imbuing step almost pointless if this penalty is accurate.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heres what i do, take all the loot you put in your bags and unravel it with a human 0% skill char.. you will then get a bunch of residues..

then take those items you have left and id those.. this speeds things up.

then once you get a feel for what basara said, you can take some of the metal items such as weapons, i look for SC -1, ubws, damage spread, high ssi, high leeches..
if they id as essence and have any of the above you can hit them with dull copper, gold, or val ingots.. (depending on how much they have)

if you have a 120 smith with an ash hammer you almost never fail and you will almost always turn those into a relic.

for armor, look for increases such as stam, int, or hp and look for regens and you can try enhance them too, but you fail more then weapons.