• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can someone explain hit mana leech

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
According to the info on UO.com hit mana leech hits 40% of the percentage of leech on the weapon? I'm using a 46% mana leech weapon.

Hit Mana Leech - Each time the weapon hits, it will do its normal damage. Then the weapon restores up to 40% of the displayed percentage of the damage dealt as Mana to the weapon's wielder. Note: No Mana is actually removed from the target.

So based on that it goes off on every swing or am i wrong? The reason I ask is I attacked a mob I had only 10 mana left after buffing up and used lightning strike on both swings. both swings hit critical for 130+ damage each and my mana was down to zero. Shouldn't i have leeched some mana?

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When I fight Rotting Corpses in Doom I don´t seem to leech mana.

Maybe there´s some creatures we can´t leech mana from...?

M

Millie

Do you ware a quiver for the damage bonus? If you do I read a few months ago in FoF, that your weapon takes the property's of the quiver, and nullifies what is on the weapon. Also If a monster has no mana its hard to leech mana from it.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I fight Rotting Corpses in Doom I don´t seem to leech mana.

Maybe there´s some creatures we can´t leech mana from...?
What's strange is the next hit I hit for less and leeched some mana. It seems inconsistant. Also when I'm poisoned it seems to not always go off either. This was the best example I had since I knew my starting mana and what the cost of the 2 specials were and my ending mana after the two hits.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you ware a quiver for the damage bonus? If you do I read a few months ago in FoF, that your weapon takes the property's of the quiver, and nullifies what is on the weapon. Also If a monster has no mana its hard to leech mana from it.
I had never heard that on the quiver but I am wearing one for the 5 defense chance. As for mana leech on a weapon I thought it was independant of the mana on the creature since mana is not taken from the creature.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought the % displayed on your weapon was also the % chance of the leeching effect working.

So if your weapon has 46% on it you have a 46% chance to leech the mana.

Also archery's leeching was cut in half awhile ago, which means you'll leech even less when using an archery weapon.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They changed Hit Mana Leech a couple years ago...

First, to clear up two rumors...

1 - Your quiver does not nullify your weapon's properties. I always wear a quiver and that never happens to me.

2 - You leech based on the damage you do. It has nothing to do with your target's mana.

Now the formula for mana leeching...

Leeched Mana = Damage * (RND(1 * HML)/100)
In other words, multiply the damage you did times a random number from 1 to your HML divided by 100.

So if your HML was 42% and you did 50 points of damage to a creature, you leech anywhere from 1 to 50 * .42, or 1 to 21 points. This happens everytime you swing your weapon.

There might still be a .4 in the equation somewhere, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

B

BartofCats

According to the info on UO.com hit mana leech hits 40% of the percentage of leech on the weapon? I'm using a 46% mana leech weapon.

Hit Mana Leech - Each time the weapon hits, it will do its normal damage. Then the weapon restores up to 40% of the displayed percentage of the damage dealt as Mana to the weapon's wielder. Note: No Mana is actually removed from the target.

So based on that it goes off on every swing or am i wrong? The reason I ask is I attacked a mob I had only 10 mana left after buffing up and used lightning strike on both swings. both swings hit critical for 130+ damage each and my mana was down to zero. Shouldn't i have leeched some mana?
you are correct however....

a few patches ago they (dev's of ultimate brain power and wisdom LOL) decided that the leeching was overpowered and nurfed it to a little bit over time. you do not get 40% of your hit back all at once if your lucky you will get 4% back. Its something they changed and fully intend to never look at again till they think its overpowered again.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They changed Hit Mana Leech a couple years ago...

First, to clear up two rumors...

1 - Your quiver does not nullify your weapon's properties. I always wear a quiver and that never happens to me.

2 - You leech based on the damage you do. It has nothing to do with your target's mana.

Now the formula for mana leeching...

Leeched Mana = Damage * (RND(1 * HML)/100)
In other words, multiply the damage you did times a random number from 1 to your HML divided by 100.

So if your HML was 42% and you did 50 points of damage to a creature, you leech anywhere from 1 to 50 * .42, or 1 to 21 points. This happens everytime you swing your weapon.

There might still be a .4 in the equation somewhere, but I'm not 100% sure of that.
So was I just extremely unlucky to leech the lowest possible amount of mana on 2 consecutive 130+ point hits?

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So was I just extremely unlucky to leech the lowest possible amount of mana on 2 consecutive 130+ point hits?
Yes. UO still has a weird Random Number Generator that seems to go through long bouts of consecutive or non-randomlike numbers.

A

Alrich

the 42% hml means its 42% chance for it to go off.

When it goes off, it leeches a random amount from 1-40% of the damage you deal

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So close yet so far....

Mana leech...

1) Maximum about of mana that can be leeched is 40% of the Damage dealt
2) You leech Mana EVERY single time you do damage if your weapon has mana leech.

3) The AMOUNT you leech is a Random # between 1 and what your weapons mana leech is.

Example....

You hit a lich for 100 points of dmg. The maximum mana you can leech is 40 mana. Your weapon has "Hit mana leech 45%". A Random # between 1-45% is generated and happens to land on 20 for this example... End result is you leeched 20% of your maxium 40 mana on that his for a grand total of 8 mana leeched on that hit.

(Also... mana leech on Archery weapons... aka Ranged attacks is halved.. so in the same example if it was an archery weapon you would have leech only 4 mana.)

--End note... STAMINA leech works the same way except that the maximum STAMINA you can leech is 100% of the damage you deal. Also... the word leech is misleading bc the mana / life /stamin is not Taken from your target.. it is created out of this air.

The % chances for LIFE & Mana leech that are displayed on a weapon are also effect by the speed of a weapon. That's why you only see 100% hit life / mana leech on really big slow stuff....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, it LIFE & Mana leech that work that way, Vexxed. (Life Leech uses a 30% modifier instead of 40%).

Stamina leech is 100%, but still works the old way (how Alrich described - his info was how all 3 USED to work).

How it is currently:

Life Leech: 30% * (random between 1% & property value) * damage done, every hit, up to max.
Mana Leech: 40% * (random between 1% & property value) * damage done, every hit, up to max.
Stamina Leech: Property value (%) chance each swing to receive 100% damage done back as stamina, up to max.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the 42% hml means its 42% chance for it to go off.

When it goes off, it leeches a random amount from 1-40% of the damage you deal
Nope. That's not the way it works anymore. HML works the way I explained it in my post earlier in this thread.