• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can greater dragons take ancient wyrms easily?

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For some reason I remember AWs being a little bit easier, at least to the point where my cu didn't die a dozen times trying to take one down (I had to eventually make my husband log in to help heal the cu, and by the time the AW was dead the chest was gone...argh.) So...am I going to have to finally get a greater dragon to do level sixes?

M

MatrixCubed

I had to join factions for...'monster ignore'..or whatever it is so I could solo lvl 6 maps. Spawning two or 3 aw's...even 4 now and again...makes it impossible to loot the chest. I do 5-6 in an hour if I'm just looting chests or 1-2 if I come back and kill the spawn.

Z

Zodiac19

Yes, AW's got a bump some time back. My tactics on L6's is to stage my GD a couple of screens away and recall out (back to my dragon) once the chest pops instead of invising. Then I lure the spawn one at a time back to my dragon for munch time. I've never lost a chest but have only spawned two AW's on the inital spawn.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, AW's got a bump some time back. My tactics on L6's is to stage my GD a couple of screens away and recall out (back to my dragon) once the chest pops instead of invising. Then I lure the spawn one at a time back to my dragon for munch time. I've never lost a chest but have only spawned two AW's on the inital spawn.
Im doint the same thing.

I recall to the treasue spot, run a few screens of mark a rune an leave it in my inventory and tells my rune beetle to stay. I then run back to the chest precast recall and hit the rune as soon as the chest is about to apear.
And then i just lure them one after another. Lots of Vet/Greaterheals but its managable :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my regular hiyru use to solo Aw's...I will have to take him out and see if he still can.

Cu's always suck against AW's because of their low phys and fire.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my regular hiyru use to solo Aw's...I will have to take him out and see if he still can.

Cu's always suck against AW's because of their low phys and fire.
Hrm, might try a hiryu then. I'm nervous about trying to tame a greater dragon. :p

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what shard?? I have tamed a bunch and often give some away!

B

Beastmaster

Baja! I still need to go through my stables and let someone go...sniffle...

Sure wish the Devs would give in and give us some more slots. Been how many years now with max 14?

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a hiryu will be almost insta dead against an AW. G drag will kill it while only using a few bandaids and gtr heals.

D

DuLang

It depends what skillset I'm using.

Lately I've had to keep cartography on me because I picked up a load of maps that had already been read, so I've been quite brave with it, and dug the chest up with my GD right next to me, using Hiding skill on the 14th dig noise.

Worst I've had so far is 2 AW's, Balron and a Titan. With all stop/all kill managed to get him to take the balron and titan first, then the AW's. Pet didn't die once, and if you spam 'all kill' when the AW is nearly red lined, and I mean really spam it so you need max control chance, then it usually stops it flying off the floor or into a tree. That's when it gets sticky.

In fact, that was the worst one!

It was on that little island next to the main North-Of-Trinsic ones - A-D-17 - 17 if you use that method of map finding - and I had 2 AW's on the pop, and one of them flew into the bloody sea when it was redlined! Then got caught on a house! That was a ridiculous.

Funniest/easiest pop I had was 4 blood elementals :D

R

RichDC

Admitadly never solod the chest(no cart/lockpicking)

But a friend and i did maybe 20lvl 6's no deaths 2man with a GD, could tank them all (max 4 and 2ballies) while he looted, i heal through +destroy them icluding all additional pops.

Word of death helped at the end when the AW started to fly away, no problems thoug only reason we dont do them anymore is the loot suks!

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whelp, I got a greater dragon a couple weeks ago and let it bond, and took it out a couple days ago for a level 6 chest - mediocre partly trained dragon and I managed the AWs fine. I had three of them over the course of the chest, and had to chain heal a bit at the start when their mana was high, but it was pretty easy.

Except for the really annoying "fly away while redlined" thing where it takes three times as long to kill them at that point than it took to get them to that point. I hate that. I can spam all kill, but it seems like my pet will stop and acknowledge the command before they attack, and by the time they start to attack again the AW is flying off. If I spam too fast then they don't actually attack, they just acknowledge over and over (roar, roar, roar).

The timing on using an aid then saying "all kill" and when the aid is done applying another one and say "all kill", is just about right for them to get the AWs attention and actually fight it. Still takes a while though, stupid flying monsters. *grumbles*