• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Buying Back Lost Months?

Jed Eckert

Visitor
I really would like to see this go through from Mesanna where we can buy back lost months. I started UO in 1997 yet because of real life, I lost months leaving me a few years shy of shard shields. I would be happy to pay some reasonable fee for the time lost that is within reason. Maybe we can petition for this to happen??

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna - please see the OP.

I'll +1 this one. I would like to recover about 12 months ... not all my absenteeism. It's enough for me to get some house stuff I'm drooling over.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was at a M&G she was thoughtful of the idea and has it on the back burner... my sugestion is to bring it to the Atlantic January 29th M&G. as a gentil reminder.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This was at a M&G she was thoughtful of the idea and has it on the back burner... my sugestion is to bring it to the Atlantic January 29th M&G. as a gentil reminder.
Cause it would take Einstein to pull this off or something. Let's not put something in the store that would actually sell! I think this could actually happen though, I have no vet rewards available :)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She did say she would talk it over with the rest of the dev ... now mind you she may have to run it by the Boss too...and EA....
Like I said a reminder of it in a thoughtful way presented by a level head well versed in the civil tongue might go far...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My gut tells me anything that has the potential to adversely effect the revenue stream is probably an area Bonnie fears to tread. Even the buy one get three free deal she is strongly against she hasn't moved on. My idea was every month your account was current you would get double the account age (2 months added to account age over 1). Moves people quicker to shard shields or whatever (the carrot) and punishes people doing the buy one get 3 free (the stick). She indicated she would prefer to reward the people that kept their accounts current as a way to deal with the issue. It's not a massive give away as it would still take a new account 7 years to get to shard shields. But buying the time EA might like better as a way to make another buck. It does say to me the UO numbers might be better than we suspect because this would certainly make them some major quick cash if they were really looking for some major cash. Depends how they do it. If they were going to say charge 10 bucks for a token to add one month to your account age I'm not so sure that would get many takers. More people being able to make transfers I think would benefit everyone in the game. It helps the low population shards get things they need and would probably generate a ton more business on the larger population shards.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I would be ok with this as long as they charge a normal monthly fee for each month advanced. Anthing less than the usual monthly price would be a slap in the face to actual vets.
The 14 year vets aren't losing anything. Would they have not picked shard shields if there was a change with account age? I doubt it. They would benefit also by being able to get more shields for different shards or more frequent trips to their favorites (or other vet picks). Hardly what I'd consider a slap in the face. Unless they're so self centered they have zero consideration of the game as a whole or if it thrives and possibly even grows. With the populations on the majority of the shards it's almost essential to keep people from getting fed up and quitting. Everyone in the game takes a hit one way or another sooner or later. If your a pvper and they nerf your toon. Or if your a rares collector and they take rare art work and make it common and you lose 100s of millions in its value. We all have to ante up sooner or later for the good of the game.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Capt. Lucky = you make good points, however I would have no problem handing over personal info to Bonnie that can hopefully show on their records that with the exception of 6 years total in 2 breaks I have paid for UO since Dec 1997 (UOR).

As pointed out as well, this is some added revenue for EA, not a withdrawal. Yeah, it skews things some, but money talks, doesn't it?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When shard shields first came out many on the boards offered to pay the full amount of "owed" back monthly subs in order to be able to get to these shields.
We who have paid nearly every month were not happy but could see the merit of the idea if the cash went to fund a better game and not line EA's pocket with no benefit to the over all game.
This I would favor highly.
But... you knew it was coming....
EA holds the purse strings and any funds like this would be taken as a windfall in their pockets not the game I fear...
I am not saying they don't give money to help the game along but I do not trust them to funnel this to the right pocket.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would be ok with this as long as they charge a normal monthly fee for each month advanced. Anthing less than the usual monthly price would be a slap in the face to actual vets.
Actual vets can get over it. I'm more of a vet than most of you. I just stopped playing for a bit. This is an obscene request. I'd pay to advanced months too, but I'm not paying for something I didn't get either. I'd pay a max $60 per year, but would be hopeful for lower.

I hope they cap it though.. Like you can't get past 5 years less than current. That would at least give vets 5 years of buffer to satisfy them. If they need more they are just being greedy and what's really the point of saying "I have it, but you can't have it?" Definition of stingy.

People would only need it for Shard Shields anyways... So you're really just compensating for the lack of transfers. Everyone should be able to transfer now anyways. I think all accounts should get a shield off their shard to Atlantic and back to home shard. Might satisfy some people complaining about Atlantic.

The idea that this game is worth the sub fee now is laughable and to charge someone the sub fee without getting the actual month of gameplay is a crude joke.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actual vets can get over it. I'm more of a vet than most of you. I just stopped playing for a bit. This is an obscene request. I'd pay to advanced months too, but I'm not paying for something I didn't get either. I'd pay a max $60 per year, but would be hopeful for lower.

I hope they cap it though.. Like you can't get past 5 years less than current. That would at least give vets 5 years of buffer to satisfy them. If they need more they are just being greedy and what's really the point of saying "I have it, but you can't have it?" Definition of stingy.

People would only need it for Shard Shields anyways... So you're really just compensating for the lack of transfers. Everyone should be able to transfer now anyways. I think all accounts should get a shield off their shard to Atlantic and back to home shard. Might satisfy some people complaining about Atlantic.

The idea that this game is worth the sub fee now is laughable and to charge someone the sub fee without getting the actual month of gameplay is a crude joke.
From your recent posts I find your claim as more of a vet than most laughable at best. You don't want to pay what everyone else has paid then you don't get to earn vet reward status. Perhaps you are confused about what a veteran reward is. It's not something you get to buy (especially at a freaking 66% discount.). Which is probably why this conversation is moot because it is a service that wont be offered.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
but I'm not paying for something I didn't get either.
That's something many vets totally dont want to see. They got plenty of content for the fees they paid, not only vet rewards. But well, more money to throw at other games... :bdh:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Okay ... for 5 years of my downtime I was fighting to keep my wife sober from drugs and alcohol. I held my job but just barely. She died from her actions some years back - at which time I resubbed because I needed to do something to distract me. Now I'm retired and have time available without distraction for UO.

It was RL issues that caused that hiatus and I would like to buy that back partially (3 years would be nice). However there is still somewhere around another 4-5 years total that I would not buy back to allow those who were able to stick around to have that cushion.

Do I want shard shields? Nope ... but there are other vet items I do want - mainly for crafting, house deco, etc. Would I accept a cap? Yes ... absolutely.

Last edited:

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really would like to see this go through from Mesanna where we can buy back lost months. I started UO in 1997 yet because of real life, I lost months leaving me a few years shy of shard shields. I would be happy to pay some reasonable fee for the time lost that is within reason. Maybe we can petition for this to happen??
I posted this before. If you 'prepay' for 6 months or a year of gametime -why can't you have that added to your account immediately instead of waiting for the time to expire?
I don't think its unbalancing to allow you to pre-pay or to 'buy vet status'.

Of course, the way they look at it - they will sell you $20 xfer tokens all day long until you reach that age.

I really wish xfer tokens were $5 all along. That sounds more reasonable for a price and they would sell alot more.
Now that I have shard shields - I don't care tho really. Both my accounts have them and I hoarded my vet choices. When my main hit 14 years I had like 27 choices left. :)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What's the point of veteran rewards, which everyone and their grandmother can buy with real money?
This neither is a reward, nor does it respect actual veterans, who did stick to the game.
Well, the trouble is that it's 20 years now and also, there are useful items in the vet system. If things like the Seedbox, Soulstones, Shard Shields, Crystal portals, Davie's lockers, and such weren't a part of the system then who would care? But they are.

Like I said, I'd only want it for the Shard Shields anyways... I can already buy the other items and use them. I can't imagine why anyone else would want to spend more than $60 a year on stuff they can just buy for less than $10, but go ahead and keep aiming for $180. The only other thing this would give me is a legit method of getting the items in game without giving some of you all my real money. Which, essentially, is probably why some of you don't want a system like it.

What's the point of veteran rewards, which everyone and their grandmother can buy with real money?
This neither is a reward, nor does it respect actual veterans, who did stick to the game.
I lost a couple of years, 10 years ago, when I took a break thinking I was done with the game.
But I came back & have played continuously for the last 8 years.
Would I like to re-claim my lost years? Yes I really would! I regret this missed years now.
But I accept that Veteran Rewards are for the players who have continuously been loyal to the game.
& that My Friends, is why the Vet Reward system should remain as it is,

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like I said, I'd only want it for the Shard Shields anyways...
Probably most of the people, who want to buy back their months, would just do it because of shard shields.
IMHO char transfer was the second most dumbest idea. There is only one legit reason tu use a transfer: because communities change over time and you want to move to a different shard. I cannot fathom any other reason. Nothing good has ever come from those transfers. People just exploit smaller shards. Of course someone can argue, that BS can create revenue from it, because you can but it for real money. Well, go to google and search for xfer tokens. You'll find them for almost half the price on 3rd party sites. How can they sell so much? Probably because the tokens are duped (which was the absolute dumbest idea, making it a token instead like making it how TC copy works). So I'm quite confident, that the ones buying them legit are the minority. The rest just buys it either from those 3rd party sites or in game for gold, which probably also are of dubious origin.

I'd simply turn off char transfer for good. Which includes shard shields as well, turning them into plain deco & make them refundable so vets can take a fresh pick. That would probably also silence 90% of the people crying for buyable vet time.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I mean, I like Chessy and Atlantic so that's why I want those shard shields. Nothing nefarious... I just like Atlantic and Chessy.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly this should be a no brainer. Cap it at the max age based on account creation date, but players are asking to pay EA/Broadsword for playtime in the past that they didn’t use... holy crap guys, if that isn’t players giving you free money I don’t know what is...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly this should be a no brainer. Cap it at the max age based on account creation date, but players are asking to pay EA/Broadsword for playtime in the past that they didn’t use... holy crap guys, if that isn’t players giving you free money I don’t know what is...
At the full cost of the months they missed. Talk about free money.

Jed Eckert

Visitor
I lost a couple of years, 10 years ago, when I took a break thinking I was done with the game.
But I came back & have played continuously for the last 8 years.
Would I like to re-claim my lost years? Yes I really would! I regret this missed years now.
But I accept that Veteran Rewards are for the players who have continuously been loyal to the game.
& that My Friends, is why the Vet Reward system should remain as it is,
I disagree, I lost many years of my time due to military service. You can not equate that lost time to a video game and I know quite a few others in same situation as myself for the same reason. I am also willing to pay a fee as deemed reasonable by Origin.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
so far u can buy skills up to 90 with token, mounts, transfers, ect.... everyone can now use any vet reward except shard shields. u can buy any vet reward with gold. there's only one thing old vets use/get now that younger accounts cant. people now want to buy lost time for shard shields/vet rewards . many of the vet rewards that people/vets have picked are now worthless. what about all their worthless vet reward picks? I'm not sure it would be a good idea at this time. just my opinions

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the point of being a Veteran if you could just buy missed subscription time? Where is the incentive anymore? They have already screwed the meaning of being a "Veteran" by allowing anyone to use the rewards, but hey, why stop there? Make ALL rewards usable by anyone INCLUDING Transfer Shard Shields (Only reward out of 100 you have to be the age to use) which is what everyone wants now. Personally I would buy the $8 Transfer Token from a duper (YEA THEY ARE STILL OUT THERE) before I pay Origin $20 for the token or Extra months for the age of my account.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What is the point of being a Veteran if you could just buy missed subscription time? Where is the incentive anymore? They have already screwed the meaning of being a "Veteran" by allowing anyone to use the rewards, but hey, why stop there? Make ALL rewards usable by anyone INCLUDING Transfer Shard Shields (Only reward out of 100 you have to be the age to use) which is what everyone wants now. Personally I would buy the $8 Transfer Token from a duper (YEA THEY ARE STILL OUT THERE) before I pay Origin $20 for the token or Extra months for the age of my account.
Why do you feel you need it? The whole system is stupid if it has useful rewards locked behind 10 YEARS of time. I feel like I'm arguing with the stingy kid that doesn't want to share his toys. Yea, your family is more affluent, yea, I don't have that toy yet, but if you want to play with me then share and I'll share with you and we'll have that many more toys and won't be playing alone.

Or you all can continue to be lonely vets together. I still find it funny that you all think paying money makes you a vet and don't want others to. In any other game the active subscription doesn't make you a vet. Some of you even bought your accounts that had game time on them.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do you feel you need it? The whole system is stupid if it has useful rewards locked behind 10 YEARS of time. I feel like I'm arguing with the stingy kid that doesn't want to share his toys. Yea, your family is more affluent, yea, I don't have that toy yet, but if you want to play with me then share and I'll share with you and we'll have that many more toys and won't be playing alone.

Or you all can continue to be lonely vets together. I still find it funny that you all think paying money makes you a vet and don't want others to. In any other game the active subscription doesn't make you a vet. Some of you even bought your accounts that had game time on them.
Ahh so the truth is finally revealed. This is a simple case of I want what you have but don't want to put in the work, effort, or time that you did syndrome. Unfortunatly that seems to be one of the current blights on society today.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm just fine with people buying up their time... so long as they pay the same that I have over the years... more power to um...

I don't think they should get a discount because they chose to do something else with their months and shut their account down not my problem... if they want those lost years back then fine.. pay for them... just like I have. Otherwise forget it... but yeah I'm good with them buying years back.

I'd be even better with it if I thought that added revenue was going to UO and not EA but that's a pipe dream.

Ahh so the truth is finally revealed. This is a simple case of I want what you have but don't want to put in the work, effort, or time that you did syndrome. Unfortunatly that seems to be one of the current blights on society today.
That could be!
Many a times I think this when I've read such posts over the years... 20 of them fully paid...
Yeah there are things I want in UO and would pay for. But what about players that "can't, don't want to" spend cash. Is that a slap in the face to them... neener neener I bought my vet time back and you "can't, won't" .... Does this solution make it fair for all players?

If I could pay for multi-house accounts at a discount, I would, certainly. I'd like my mutli-house accounts back that somehow the game collapsed 5 days early!??!

I've paid for 20 years to keep multi-house accounts since that loss, not trusting the system to not IDOC my houses.

Every situation is different for people but honestly $12.99 a month most people piss away that on something more dumb than a computer game. So does it come down to a matter of importance to someone? It was important to me to keep my multi-house accounts so I paid for them.

Other games do have account age based vet rewards. EQ2 does it...They also sell char slots...and server transfers.

But something like this makes me feel like Internet/cable deals. NEW subscribers can get better deals than current subscribers!??! It makes me feel like well we have your money, been taking it for years, SOL you're paying more!!

I guess it does come down to what you want to pay for this game. If you truly feel that the cash flow to EA will help "all of UO" then why not just buy transfer tokens?

Is it that you want to transfer at a reduced cost? Shard transfers are not limited to accounts older than 14 months with transfer tokens. If you want to shard trade and transfer all the time then that is maybe a different story... But if you just want to play a different shard then the cost of tokens to transfer your 5 or 6 chars would be much less.

But then we could look back at
Create characters on the shards you want to play and work the chars up. heck mythic token them up if ya want and since you are willing to pay cash for in-game benefits then it shouldn't be an issue. If you want items transferred buy some tokens and transfer.

Pride... it's all based on oneself. I'm not a bank poser. I feel good about what I've done in-game for myself, not for others. If you buy Vet reward time it doesn't take away from what I've done.

I guess it comes down to the EA bean counters. Will allowing more chars per account give more or less revenue? Will allowing shard shields vs transfer tokens for sale to anyone give more or less revenue? Will allowing people to buy extra vet rewards and or Vet time for cash give more or less revenue? Will people quit over these issues causing less revenue? Did they when other cash purchases for in-game benefits and items become available?

UO is not the pioneer game anymore, it's one of many now. All sorts of data is available from all the other games out there to see what works and what didn't.

Wow what a soap box... sleep deprived...

SO I guess imho It doesn't really matter to me if you can buy Vet time, I just want the equivalent discount you get in a rebate check or store credit!! :p

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
I would sign this! I have an account that opened in 2000 but a real life divorce and money troubles caused me to stop paying in 2006. I started back up in 2016 but lost 10 years. While the account IS 18 years old, its only considered 6 years old by the number of months I PAID for the account It wasn't paid for continuously between 2000 and 2006). I have to wait 8 YEARS to get a transfer shield, (if I figured out the math right)I doubt UO will be another in 8 years and if it is, I doubt I will still be playing. I'd love to buy back my lost years.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This is the way BS should be making extra money from us. To make us buy some leet sword to stay competitive would be so wrong. But sucking money out of us in a voluntary fashion is the way to go. Meanwhile in the real world the newbs with the bucks are just buying 14 year old accounts for their kids and laughing at us peons ;)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
LOL Work, effort... It's a video game. Maybe you put too much of yourself into it. If you find it work, why are you doing it at all? Are you one of those that like to pay people so you can work?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Stratics people never fail to make me think this game isn't even worth it anymore.

I'll never understand how some people can have something and then be bitter about other people wanting to have it too.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL Work, effort... It's a video game. Maybe you put too much of yourself into it. If you find it work, why are you doing it at all? Are you one of those that like to pay people so you can work?
Yeah that word or is a funny word. It notes that it could be any of the previously mentioned options. In this case time.

* Don't get me wrong, if BS wants to allow someone to buy years at the regular price I would have no issue with this. I also agree 100% that you should get that gametime credited to your account.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah that word or is a funny word. It notes that it could be any of the previously mentioned options. In this case time.

* Don't get me wrong, if BS wants to allow someone to buy years at the regular price I would have no issue with this. I also agree 100% that you should get that gametime credited to your account.
Well that's a good compromise we can both agree on.

work isn't secluded to "job" -

Work- to get (oneself or an object) into or out of a condition or position by gradual stages.

That would be a very good definition of work in a computer game.

I don't think it's about being bitter that other people want it too, it's more of other people want the same reward for doing less to receive said award, like participation trophies... or not practicing your instrument but then complaining that you never get first chair, or missing sports practice and expecting to start over other players that put in the "work, effort".

Life isn't fair nor equal.

So are you for straight out "game age" purchasing?
A brand new account could purchase up to the *.* year mark? What about someone with a 6 year old account that has been of the last 6 years? What about an account that is "aged more" than older accounts that quit the game?

So you bought an account so time ago.... does that give you privilege over a "younger account", just because you bought your account years before but they have more paid account time?

Sorry to the Nay-Sayers... I lost some years for a closed account, which I now miss & regret not paying while I had to leave. Those are my missing years.
Sometimes Real Life takes priority over a game, so we all have to do what we have to do.

But I still believe that Vet Rewards should be for the the players who have remained payed up & Loyal to the game over the months/years.

There are some ppl who have been banned & set up new accounts/or bought accounts & want to buy the missing years so they can just do shard transfers.

Shard Transfer shields should only be based on "regular" continued monthly payments.
They are rewards for true Vets, who have supported the game & kept alive so it still exists after 20 years.

None of us should be able to pay & skip the process, otherwise Vet rewards become useless & only available to those who are will to pay money to get ahead.

Some of you/us may have valid reasons for lapsing, but please, let's not reward the dupers & cheats, by allowing them to regain their lost years by paying for them/

They have already ruined an amazing game/economy enough with their gold-digging/dollar producing activities.

I think we all are aware of the unscrupulous few out there who make real life money out of this game. They don't care about the game. They get banned & come back on a new or bought account, solely to line their pockets.

Keep Vet rewards for the Loyal player base, who have kept this game afloat for 20 years, so we all had a game to come back to.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No, the only problem is that they added useful items in the vet program.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

I like the idea to get game time with the account age thing but EA really doesn't get anything outta that so I don't see that happening. That just gets them a lot of money now with a huge drop in cash flow later. To get charged full price while the only benefit would be getting account age seems ridiculous to me. I think one missed out on a lot of game play there with the lost time besides account age. We should keep this idea realistic. I don't think anyone pays for a game solely to acquire account age lol We can banter this all we want but it all rests with Bonnie. If she wants to do it, thinks it's a good money making opportunity, thinks it's fair, thinks it's good for the game, etc. We can sling mud or praises but it all really just boils down to her take on it. I was a little surprised how many people support this idea. But as the population drops in game making the game more global is really becoming a necessity. If the game provided the low population shards the things they desired this wouldn't even be a topic. This cartel of long time subscribers going around and stripping all the shards and getting wealthy bringing the loot back to Atlantic has gotten the pendulum swinging way to far to be acceptable any longer with the current state of the game. I'm not sure if this is the answer or not but we need some kind of solution to this situation. Being filled with greed doesn't get you a halo and sometimes we gotta think about promoting the entire game and set self interest to the side a bit.

Last edited:
[
No, the only problem is that they added useful items in the vet program.
So what exactly is the problem with that?
Those that have remained loyal paying subscribers, paid their monthly dues, which funded further development.

True Vets should be rewards for their ongoing contributions.

Without them, this game would never have survived for 20 years (which is a phenomenal achievement in itself)

Keep the Vets rewards for "true" Vets.
No one should be able to buy their way to circumvent Loyal Vets ongoing contributions.

Without them, the game may have folded due to lack of funding.
Its really not "rocket science".

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
[

So what exactly is the problem with that?
Those that have remained loyal paying subscribers, paid their monthly dues, which funded further development.

True Vets should be rewards for their ongoing contributions.

Without them, this game would never have survived for 20 years (which is a phenomenal achievement in itself)

Keep the Vets rewards for "true" Vets.
No one should be able to buy their way to circumvent Loyal Vets ongoing contributions.

Without them, the game may have folded due to lack of funding.
Its really not "rocket science".
Vets are always going to be at the tip of the curve. They will always be getting more rewards than the rest. There may be a nice chunk of people that would pay to get a couple shard shields but I don't think many would pay to get to 20 years. We could leave vet rewards alone and sell shard shields. I'd be good with that.

Vets are always going to be at the tip of the curve. They will always be getting more rewards than the rest. There may be a nice chunk of people that would pay to get a couple shard shields but I don't think many would pay to get to 20 years. We could leave vet rewards alone and sell shard shields. I'd be good with that.
But Shard Shields really are the most valuable commodity for those making $'s out of this game.
Currently, they can't transfer their goods themselves, without paying ppl lots of gold for transferring their goods for them.
Making Shard Transfer shields available denigrates the worth of "Loyal Vets" & would make the Dupers & multi-shard idoc'ers even richer.
This in turn, skews the economy negatively even further than it already is, with higher prices.

With that said, ALL Vet Rewards should be earned by "True Loyal Vets".
Not ppl who could just buy them from the store with real $'s.
Not everyone is a lovely player who regrets the years they couldn't play.
Many of them are just farmers (duping & idocs) looking to increase their wealth.

If they weren't, cross-shard idoc'ers (who use scripts to pillage & dupers) I would agree.
But opening the floodgates to be able to purchase missing years or buy transfer sheilds, would make the game totally unplayable for regular players who perhaps missed a few years of playing & would like said shields.
@Bonnie, @Bleak , this game need to protected for "true players" who have paid their dues, without exploiting this game.
(Wish my links worked to draw attention to those that matter. at least I linked Bleak :)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
"True Vet" "Loyal Paying subscribers" stop drinking the Koolaid.