• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Build a 1st gargoyle in my life)

derizabel

Visitor
Hello everybody :)
I didn't play a very long period in UO.
I saw that a new race appeared - Gargoyles.
I want to make myself a character of this race :)
Crafter and tamer i have to farm weapons and etc.
I want to ask what is the most relevant build now and what is the right gear to wear?
If someone have link to good guide I'll be very grateful for him, because i cant find it))

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
120 throwing
120 tactics
120 anatomy
120 healing
120 resisting spells
120 chivalry

can do everything a sampire can

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 throwing
120 tactics
120 anatomy
120 healing
120 resisting spells
120 chivalry

can do everything a sampire can
Except for effectively AoE :lol:.
Archers and Throwers are great at single target damage, but suck at AoE damage. Lightning Arrow and Mystic Arc are nowhere near as good as Whirlwind.

But yeah, if you're going to have a Gargoyle Dexxer, make it a Thrower. Garg Melee fall far behind Human/Elf melee, for many reasons.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Except for effectively AoE :lol:.
Archers and Throwers are great at single target damage, but suck at AoE damage. Lightning Arrow and Mystic Arc are nowhere near as good as Whirlwind.

But yeah, if you're going to have a Gargoyle Dexxer, make it a Thrower. Garg Melee fall far behind Human/Elf melee, for many reasons.
In aoe sampire rules as even with close to 200 sdi a mage aie attack is xxx divided by number of monsters vs a sampire who hits each monster for xxx I've suggested that isn't fair and magery should be adjusted but was shot down and told to learn to play

Draig

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
In aoe sampire rules as even with close to 200 sdi a mage aie attack is xxx divided by number of monsters vs a sampire who hits each monster for xxx I've suggested that isn't fair and magery should be adjusted but was shot down and told to learn to play
It's honestly absurd how many people sell the game as "do anything you want"

Then you search for viable builds and they all revolve around a few keystone skills. (Bushido, chiv, spellweaving, taming/disco).

I'm not here to advocate for a 6x120 Cook/Taste ID/Beggar to be able to kill bosses, but I mean come on there could be a FEW other options than tamer, sampire, or spellweaving...

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hello everybody :)
I didn't play a very long period in UO.
I saw that a new race appeared - Gargoyles.
I want to make myself a character of this race :)
Crafter and tamer i have to farm weapons and etc.
I want to ask what is the most relevant build now and what is the right gear to wear?
If someone have link to good guide I'll be very grateful for him, because i cant find it))
It's pretty fun to play a garg and it's a bit different than playing a sampire or tamer; it should definitely give you a fun project. I do want to caution you though that it can get to be pretty expensive if you are looking to build an elite suit capable of soloing (and surviving) high level stuff because there is 1 less piece for gargs to wear so you need to put together more higher intensity pieces for a suit. That said, if you join a guild I'm sure you can get away with a less intense suit to begin with as you play more of a support role.

I did use @Merlin's build as a base and tinker around with it. Depending on what you are looking to do they will do pretty well and you can tweak as you go along.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's pretty fun to play a garg and it's a bit different than playing a sampire or tamer; it should definitely give you a fun project. I do want to caution you though that it can get to be pretty expensive if you are looking to build an elite suit capable of soloing (and surviving) high level stuff because there is 1 less piece for gargs to wear so you need to put together more higher intensity pieces for a suit. That said, if you join a guild I'm sure you can get away with a less intense suit to begin with as you play more of a support role.

I did use @Merlin's build as a base and tinker around with it. Depending on what you are looking to do they will do pretty well and you can tweak as you go along.
Gargoyles have 6 slots for armor same as everyone but two of them harder to fill the neck spot has one smith option and one tinker and glasses/earrings both tinker part of the issue is no runic tinker tool. In the case of sdi gear the resistance on the gargoyle pieces are far less than human/elf (we won't discuss yukio earrings)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Then you search for viable builds and they all revolve around a few keystone skills. (Bushido, chiv, spellweaving, taming/disco).

I'm not here to advocate for a 6x120 Cook/Taste ID/Beggar to be able to kill bosses, but I mean come on there could be a FEW other options than tamer, sampire, or spellweaving...
The Macer/Paladin (120 Macing/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM Healing/GM Parry/80-GM Resist/GM-120 Chiv) actually does pretty good during the "Treasures of " Events for soloing Paragons. The Macer can cripple their opponent's melee damage output via Stagger (-60% SSI for 10 secs), especially when paired with a Hit Fatigue weapon. When an opponent is down to 0 Stamina and under Stagger, you can literally 4 sec bandy heal faster than they can melee swing. If you're getting 2 second cross healing from another dexxer, then you're basically unkillable, even against foes like Exodus (which a Sampire can't do).

The Macer/Paladin does start to have problems with multiple targets though, bandy healing simply can't keep up with the incoming damage when multiple foes are hitting/casting on you at the same time, especially if they spam Poison/Bleed/Mortal Strike on you to interrupt bandy healing. I can keep Stagger running on 2 targets at the same time to neuter their melee damage output (i've taken on and killed a Para AOL+Para WW, or Para LL+Para Ossein Ram at same time), but your usual getting swarmed at a Champ Spawn type scenario overwhelms the bandy healing, you'll need Life Leech on your Barbed Whip to deal with that.

Last edited:

Draig

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The Macer/Paladin (120 Macing/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM Healing/GM Parry/80-GM Resist/GM-120 Chiv) actually does pretty good during the "Treasures of " Events for soloing Paragons. The Macer can cripple their opponent's melee damage output via Stagger (-60% SSI for 10 secs), especially when paired with a Hit Fatigue weapon. When an opponent is down to 0 Stamina and under Stagger, you can literally 4 sec bandy heal faster than they can melee swing. If you're getting 2 second cross healing from another dexxer, then you're basically unkillable, even against foes like Exodus (which a Sampire can't do).

The Macer/Paladin does start to have problems with multiple targets though, bandy healing simply can't keep up with the incoming damage when multiple foes are hitting/casting on you at the same time, especially if they spam Poison/Bleed/Mortal Strike on you to interrupt bandy healing. I can keep Stagger running on 2 targets at the same time to neuter their melee damage output (i've taken on and killed a Para AOL+Para WW, or Para LL+Para Ossein Ram at same time), but your usual getting swarmed at a Champ Spawn type scenario overwhelms the bandy healing, you'll need Life Leech on your Barbed Whip to deal with that.
Yeah, I actually have a macer/paladin build that I dropped Resist and healing from and added music/peace and I like it for general content *A LOT* better than when I was a classic Paladin...

I also changed from mace to swords to use a Radiant...

Haraldur Tyrsson

Adventurer
Still 6 armor slots
Sure, 6 armor slots. But as a human or elf, you can wear something like M&S glasses/helm AND Solaria's Secret Poisons earrings. As a gargoyle, you have to pick one or the other. So, like I said... one less slot.

And sure, there are not many options for earrings but even just that extra 10 hci is a huge advantage.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sure, 6 armor slots. But as a human or elf, you can wear something like M&S glasses/helm AND Solaria's Secret Poisons earrings. As a gargoyle, you have to pick one or the other. So, like I said... one less slot.

And sure, there are not many options for earrings but even just that extra 10 hci is a huge advantage.
I don't disagree that gargoyles are heavily ignored and discriminated against by the developers

Haraldur Tyrsson

Adventurer
Hah, alright. Your previous comments seemed to make it sound like things are equal -- But like you are saying... they are not.

We haven't even mentioned how gargoyles have no way to get benefits like dmg reduction from swamps. Ugh.

Gargoyles have 6 slots for armor same as everyone but two of them harder to fill the neck spot has one smith option and one tinker and glasses/earrings both tinker part of the issue is no runic tinker tool. In the case of sdi gear the resistance on the gargoyle pieces are far less than human/elf (we won't discuss yukio earrings)
You can actually reforge earrings and necklaces (at least stone amulets, I know) with blacksmith runic, even though you craft them with other skills. It's similar to whips.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hah, alright. Your previous comments seemed to make it sound like things are equal -- But like you are saying... they are not.

We haven't even mentioned how gargoyles have no way to get benefits like dmg reduction from swamps. Ugh.

You can actually reforge earrings and necklaces (at least stone amulets, I know) with blacksmith runic, even though you craft them with other skills. It's similar to whips.
Building a luck suit is terribly difficult!!

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, I actually have a macer/paladin build that I dropped Resist and healing from and added music/peace and I like it for general content *A LOT* better than when I was a classic Paladin...

I also changed from mace to swords to use a Radiant...
Not sure why you'd like that better. Without Resist, you're very vulnerable to Paralyze/Mana Drain/Mana Vamp/Poison and Blood Oath, and without Healing your self healing is basically reduced to just Close Wounds/Hit Life Leech (you'd have to put this on every wep then, and it doesn't work against all foes). You'd have to swap from Macing Mastery to Peace Mastery for the spell songs, and they're not all that great without 4x120 Bard skills. Spell songs break if you take 30+ damage in a single hit too. Targeted peace breaks like mad too on 160+ barding difficulty foes.
The Radiant Scimitar used to be the only 1H with WW in game, until they introduced the Whips. The Barbed Whip is Macing's 1H with WW, so Macing has that option now too.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not sure why you'd like that better. Without Resist, you're very vulnerable to Paralyze/Mana Drain/Mana Vamp/Poison and Blood Oath, and without Healing your self healing is basically reduced to just Close Wounds/Hit Life Leech (you'd have to put this on every wep then, and it doesn't work against all foes). You'd have to swap from Macing Mastery to Peace Mastery for the spell songs, and they're not all that great without 4x120 Bard skills. Spell songs break if you take 30+ damage in a single hit too. Targeted peace breaks like mad too on 160+ barding difficulty foes.
The Radiant Scimitar used to be the only 1H with WW in game, until they introduced the Whips. The Barbed Whip is Macing's 1H with WW, so Macing has that option now too.
Even my mystic/bard has dropped peace mass sleep far better you can cast it while provoking or discoing

Draig

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

Well, maybe I should've clarified. This character is not intended to be optimal for solo play, rather it is meant to augment a group, I want a character that essentially is an aura bot for group content. With peace mastery I can get up to 16% damage reduction (which is huge imo), and +8 to all regen. I don't always have to be the one taking the hit, that can be a sampire or pet or w/e, but any group I am in I will 100% add effectiveness. I grow so tired of the same old same old when it comes to what builds I see. In general taking damage more often at a reduced amount >>>>>>> taking damage less frequently but in higher amounts. In reality I just need to reach mana regen equilibrium with both songs going at the same time for maximum effectiveness, 120 swords, and enough damage to farm 95% of content solo, and hop in groups when its time to do spawns etc. If I really want to get silly I can drop anat and or tact and provide massive damage reductions/regens for my group, so long as I can figure out how to equalize mana to keep both songs going at the same time...

IDK, I just want something other than the boring old norm, if it doesn't work eh whatever right ;)

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well, maybe I should've clarified. This character is not intended to be optimal for solo play, rather it is meant to augment a group, I want a character that essentially is an aura bot for group content. With peace mastery I can get up to 16% damage reduction (which is huge imo), and +8 to all regen. I don't always have to be the one taking the hit, that can be a sampire or pet or w/e, but any group I am in I will 100% add effectiveness. I grow so tired of the same old same old when it comes to what builds I see. In general taking damage more often at a reduced amount >>>>>>> taking damage less frequently but in higher amounts. In reality I just need to reach mana regen equilibrium with both songs going at the same time for maximum effectiveness, 120 swords, and enough damage to farm 95% of content solo, and hop in groups when its time to do spawns etc. If I really want to get silly I can drop anat and or tact and provide massive damage reductions/regens for my group, so long as I can figure out how to equalize mana to keep both songs going at the same time...

IDK, I just want something other than the boring old norm, if it doesn't work eh whatever right ;)
My mystic/bard running provo mastery is the perfect example of this build !! If i could find another bard running peace mastery our party would be near invincible!!

Draig

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
My mystic/bard running provo mastery is the perfect example of this build !! If i could find another bard running peace mastery our party would be near invincible!!
I run a paladin with peace mastery build <_< I am currently working peace 103.1 and music 101.8

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Yeah, i usually augment groups by debuffing the opponent with my Disco/Tamer and his RC+AP Fire Beetle, along with my Death Ray Tamer/Mage © and his 120 Disco+CB Triton. Between those two, i provide 120 Disco+RC+CB+DR+AP+HLA+HLD, bosses melt like butter then. I don't need to be partied with anyone to provide those benefits either.
I have a 4x120 Bard/Mage that i run the Mastery songs with to buff party. At 4x120 Resilience is +22 HPR/SR/MR, -60% Curse duration, good Poison status resistance, and Perseverance is +30% DCI/-30% Damage Taken, +6% CF. She also has a Vollem with AP (+10% Damage Taken for 3 secs) to help out.
Been contemplating making one of my EJ Tamers into a full 6x120 Bard/Tamer to provide buffs via Bard Masteries and debuffs via RC+AP Beetle, but the lack of Vet, Magery and Med on such a build means she'd probably be relegated to just a backup buffer/debuffer as i'm on another char at the same time.
When doing Monstrous Interred Grizzle i'll oftentimes bring an ABC Archer to run "Play the Odds" in party to partially counteract the "Howl of Cacophany" debuff.

gwen

Slightly Crazed

there are lots of other builds. Mystics , bards , tiger form Ninja , wraith form archers, mages, or even melee.
There are not many fight skills and yes, all fighters builds are revolve around them. Weird, right ? Or not ?
It is you who choose to live with tamer , samphire and Weaver. It is not a game problem. It is what you search and what you find.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
there are lots of other builds. Mystics , bards , tiger form Ninja , wraith form archers, mages, or even melee.
There are not many fight skills and yes, all fighters builds are revolve around them. Weird, right ? Or not ?
It is you who choose to live with tamer , samphire and Weaver. It is not a game problem. It is what you search and what you find.
I agree with Gwen in principle here but when fighting end game stuff these other things just can't compete ( keep in mind I fight paragons with my Fisherman) i can kill but it takes waaaaaay longer in a event that forces kill as fast as possible that's bad

Draig

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
While I can appreciate the "thats a you problem" response it's not just a me problem. I think we all agree on principle you can kill Ogre lords and Daemons with just about any build. Once you start getting into Paragon GDs/Balrons and higher you need to have an optimized build, a bit more game knowledge, and good gear, and I think that's a good thing. The whole "but the build is fun" only really works when you're leveling the build and fighting insignificant content. The way this game is designed you don't loot anything but the big baddies mainly unless you're farming specific items. Consider that on most of these forums the stickied and most interacted with posts in there are how to make your character as strong as possible. There is a reason for that -- beating and farming end game content is the goal of any game and means you have a build capable of going anywhere and handling anything, and for most of the gaming community -- thats fun!

I am not suggesting adding more weapon skills, although we should, weapons need rebalanced nor am I surprised most fighter builds revolve around them. What someone searches for isn't "what is the most fun build in uo" nearly as much as "why can't my character kill xxx" or w/e. People don't go searching for how to have fun they will come up with things and examine spell books/skills. People will search once they have an idea about something that is fun to them but doesn't work to try and optimize what they're trying to do. I'd love to design and play a tank/aura bot for groups but if you run melee you basically have to have tactics/anatomy/parry/weapon skill.

I am suggesting that, for instance:

Bushido gives far too much in comparison to Chivalry or Ninja for end game content farming. Bushido gives the most tankiness, along with the most AoE, along with another addition to the damage modifier multiplier.

Sampire is the baseline for what a warrior build should be able to do. Not skills/spells wise, but the actions performed. All questions are asked in comparison to a Sampire anyway, this is already happening. "My tamer clears as fast as a sampire!" "My mystic has as much survivability as a sampire!" "My Archer kills bosses faster than a sampire!" This comparison is already happening. I think as a player base we need to push the devs into buffing other skills to bring them in line with the current S++ tier skills. Taming, Bushido/Chiv(together), or Spellweaving (WoD) spam are what you see on virtually every end game build.

I am suggesting that Chivalry, Ninjitsu, Barding in general, and other skills be BUFFED to be brought in line with the amount of end game power that Bushido gives a build (idk many builds outside 2/6 or 4/6 Pal that run without Bushido for end game content).

I am suggesting that yes, the builds that exist out there be examined and skills be buffed to be brought in line with each other.

An example of what I'm talking about is if you want to play a pure paladin (no bushido/necro) that chivalry be buffed due to a lack of other warrior skills. If you want to play a pure axe warrior (no chiv/necro/bush etc) that it be relatively viable in end game content. You know what could fix a lot of this? Incentive to group. Where is the incentive when you meet someone to add them to a party and play that way? Isn't that the entire idea behind the second M in MMO?

What I am suggesting the devs do with skills is bring other skills in line with the current top tier templates. I'm not asking that a beggar be able to solo the roof encounter, but that there are incentives for group play, and more than a handful of skills that are able to get into that last 10% of game content.

Where are the thieves that backstab and like to play that way? Where are the warriors using shields, etc etc.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
While I can appreciate the "thats a you problem" response it's not just a me problem. I think we all agree on principle you can kill Ogre lords and Daemons with just about any build. Once you start getting into Paragon GDs/Balrons and higher you need to have an optimized build, a bit more game knowledge, and good gear, and I think that's a good thing. The whole "but the build is fun" only really works when you're leveling the build and fighting insignificant content. The way this game is designed you don't loot anything but the big baddies mainly unless you're farming specific items. Consider that on most of these forums the stickied and most interacted with posts in there are how to make your character as strong as possible. There is a reason for that -- beating and farming end game content is the goal of any game and means you have a build capable of going anywhere and handling anything, and for most of the gaming community -- thats fun!

I am not suggesting adding more weapon skills, although we should, weapons need rebalanced nor am I surprised most fighter builds revolve around them. What someone searches for isn't "what is the most fun build in uo" nearly as much as "why can't my character kill xxx" or w/e. People don't go searching for how to have fun they will come up with things and examine spell books/skills. People will search once they have an idea about something that is fun to them but doesn't work to try and optimize what they're trying to do. I'd love to design and play a tank/aura bot for groups but if you run melee you basically have to have tactics/anatomy/parry/weapon skill.

I am suggesting that, for instance:

Bushido gives far too much in comparison to Chivalry or Ninja for end game content farming. Bushido gives the most tankiness, along with the most AoE, along with another addition to the damage modifier multiplier.

Sampire is the baseline for what a warrior build should be able to do. Not skills/spells wise, but the actions performed. All questions are asked in comparison to a Sampire anyway, this is already happening. "My tamer clears as fast as a sampire!" "My mystic has as much survivability as a sampire!" "My Archer kills bosses faster than a sampire!" This comparison is already happening. I think as a player base we need to push the devs into buffing other skills to bring them in line with the current S++ tier skills. Taming, Bushido/Chiv(together), or Spellweaving (WoD) spam are what you see on virtually every end game build.

I am suggesting that Chivalry, Ninjitsu, Barding in general, and other skills be BUFFED to be brought in line with the amount of end game power that Bushido gives a build (idk many builds outside 2/6 or 4/6 Pal that run without Bushido for end game content).

I am suggesting that yes, the builds that exist out there be examined and skills be buffed to be brought in line with each other.

An example of what I'm talking about is if you want to play a pure paladin (no bushido/necro) that chivalry be buffed due to a lack of other warrior skills. If you want to play a pure axe warrior (no chiv/necro/bush etc) that it be relatively viable in end game content. You know what could fix a lot of this? Incentive to group. Where is the incentive when you meet someone to add them to a party and play that way? Isn't that the entire idea behind the second M in MMO?

What I am suggesting the devs do with skills is bring other skills in line with the current top tier templates. I'm not asking that a beggar be able to solo the roof encounter, but that there are incentives for group play, and more than a handful of skills that are able to get into that last 10% of game content.

Where are the thieves that backstab and like to play that way? Where are the warriors using shields, etc etc.
Make vampiric embrace leech scale with spirit speak...

Draig

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Absolutely, things like this need to happen. Focus could buff chivalry or ninja, what if, oh I don't know, hiding/stealth buffed ninja damage?

The 300 point mana reduction needs to be revisted as well, no reason at ALL focus/parrying don't count towards the mana reduction cap, and tbh building mana or mana leech on fighters has always been goofy to me. It should be stamina related.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where are the warriors using shields, etc etc.
The Chiv/Macer i mentioned above is a Warrior that uses a Shield. It excels in the "Treasures of " Events, outperforming even Sampires in them. Shields can add a bunch of modifiers, especially if you have a no-name Legendary Shield like mine.
Shield 1.PNG
Shields like that no longer spawn though, so the closest you can get to it is a Reforged/Imbued crafted shield, like this.
Shield 2.PNG

Curse Weapon duration scales with Spirit Speak, and is more powerful than Vamp Form for Life Drain, and stacks with it. At GM SS (which my Sampires do have), Curse Weapon grants +50% Hit Life Drain for 30 secs, stacking with Vamp Form's 20% Hit Life Drain, for a total of 70% Hit Life Drain. My Sampires can life drain for 3.5x the amount of normal Sampires, which allows me to laugh at the 110+ damage hits from Chief Paroxysmus.