• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

bugs and other remarks

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Dear Pinco,
first of all THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH for the FANTASTIC UI you created!!!
Now a couple of bugs/remarks

The ingame bug-report (strike Esc - Bug Report) gives a menu where I can select pinco ui and type text. When I do this and click on send I get an error message EC Playsound.exe could not send mail.

I have a veteran reward smithing press which works fine under default UI. It is filled with 1222 uses and works fine. In your UI, when I hover over the press with the mouse it says 1K uses, so that's fine, but when I doubleclick it to use it, the crafting menu appears (I LOVE this menu!!) but it says current tool uses 0, all tool uses 0 and I cannot use blacksmithy, unless I have a spare tongs in my backpack, but then this tongs is used and not the press.

The calculations of success-chance as well as the exceptional-chance don't take talismen into account. (Default UI does this correct)

I understood, that item-name are color-coded for the unraveling ingredients they yield. Red for residue, green for essence and blue for relic. Alas is this coding not always correct. Blue I was not able to test yet. Green always gives essence, but red sometimes gives essence instead of residu. I check the item before unraveling with item identification and this skill tells the correct ingredient the unraveling yields.
For the moment I use unraveling for residu with a human to get skillgains but before unraveling for essence I put the skillpoints via a soulstone on a gargoyle, to yield a much essence as possible. In that case, for me the essence is more important than a skillgain because I use the essence as quest-item for the 115 scroll. (I want the human and the gargoyle to get to 120, so I need 20 115 scrolls which means 1000 essence)

I suppose I am not the first one who encounters these isues, so I guess there is nothing new for you in this post. Sorry.

But again THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, for the FANTASTIC UI.
(As I come to think of it now - why isn't EA capable to do it themselves? - OK, they maybe don't have the know-how - But then they should make you an offer you can't refuse....)

Regards,
Henzy

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ingame bug-report (strike Esc - Bug Report) gives a menu where I can select pinco ui and type text. When I do this and click on send I get an error message EC Playsound.exe could not send mail.
This is a local problem, cold be the antivirus, the firewall or simply the server refusing your connection for some reason, there is no fix for that...

I have a veteran reward smithing press which works fine under default UI. It is filled with 1222 uses and works fine. In your UI, when I hover over the press with the mouse it says 1K uses, so that's fine, but when I doubleclick it to use it, the crafting menu appears (I LOVE this menu!!) but it says current tool uses 0, all tool uses 0 and I cannot use blacksmithy, unless I have a spare tongs in my backpack, but then this tongs is used and not the press.

The calculations of success-chance as well as the exceptional-chance don't take talismen into account. (Default UI does this correct)
You have to change the tool type from the settings of the crafting window, and you can disable the advanced crafting if you don't like it.
The talisman bonus is accounted if the client read the item properties correctly (and often it fails), otherwise it won't... in short is just one of the many client problems :D

I understood, that item-name are color-coded for the unraveling ingredients they yield. Red for residue, green for essence and blue for relic. Alas is this coding not always correct. Blue I was not able to test yet. Green always gives essence, but red sometimes gives essence instead of residu. I check the item before unraveling with item identification and this skill tells the correct ingredient the unraveling yields.
For the moment I use unraveling for residu with a human to get skillgains but before unraveling for essence I put the skillpoints via a soulstone on a gargoyle, to yield a much essence as possible. In that case, for me the essence is more important than a skillgain because I use the essence as quest-item for the 115 scroll. (I want the human and the gargoyle to get to 120, so I need 20 115 scrolls which means 1000 essence)
The value is not send from the server, is calculated by the UI and it's far from perfect, and it doesn't consider your current skill... Unfortunately there is no way to improve it unless the devs decide to send that value from the server (and I highly dubt that).

(As I come to think of it now - why isn't EA capable to do it themselves? - OK, they maybe don't have the know-how - But then they should make you an offer you can't refuse....)
Until there are 2 clients, there will never be any improvements on EC, and in the current state of the game I highly doubt things will change... basically it doesn't worth any investment.
Besides EC would require a LOT of work client and server side in order to get a serious improvements, but they just don't have the men power to do it in a single life time... every thing they do they must choose between: add new contents, fix bugs, improve the client or work on events/seasonal contents, so they will give priority to something that will be interesting to everyone and not just to a 30-40% of the game population...

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hi Pinco,
Thanx for the reply!!

This is a local problem, cold be the antivirus, the firewall or simply the server refusing your connection for some reason, there is no fix for that....
As long as stratics is willing to give us this forum, the ingame-bug-report is nothing more than a nice feature - there are more important things than that.

You have to change the tool type from the settings of the crafting window, and you can disable the advanced crafting if you don't like it.
The talisman bonus is accounted if the client read the item properties correctly (and often it fails), otherwise it won't... in short is just one of the many client problems :D
Now I found the tool-type settings (hidden quite well I must say), put it to smithing press and voilà the trick is done. So thank you for helping me out here, I never would have found this myself....like I just said: hidden quite well...
Disable advanced crafting?? Are you nuts?? It is one of the BEST features of your UI :) .
The talisman bonus you said the client has to read the properties. OK. But the default UI does this correct, so the client reads correct - it is your UI who neglects it....

The value is not send from the server, is calculated by the UI and it's far from perfect, and it doesn't consider your current skill... Unfortunately there is no way to improve it unless the devs decide to send that value from the server (and I highly dubt that).
Far more from perfect you say?? I totally disagree!! It is VERY CLOSE TO PERFECT!! As I said, ALL the green items unravel to essence, only 10% (ok, this is a rough estimation) of the red unravel to essence instead of residue, only 10%!! But why I spent hours of training item identification after all? If the colour-code would be 100% accurate, this skill would be obsolete.

Until there are 2 clients, there will never be any improvements on EC, and in the current state of the game I highly doubt things will change... basically it doesn't worth any investment.
Besides EC would require a LOT of work client and server side in order to get a serious improvements, but they just don't have the men power to do it in a single life time... every thing they do they must choose between: add new contents, fix bugs, improve the client or work on events/seasonal contents, so they will give priority to something that will be interesting to everyone and not just to a 30-40% of the game population...
In my imagination the team at EA has a meeting and after some brainstorming the guys come up with, in part, great ideas. But then the ideas get stuck before further development. You want examples? Here I give you some:
Idea: let's give our customers an enhanced client (the client we are using now - let's call it the classic client - is not really en vogue nowadays and we might loose customers who will leave Ultima and go to WoW or some other nitwit game the market offers). So the idea of the enhanced client is basically good. Now this client needs a UI. That is logic. But then why not make a UI like yours, so the client really deserves the name ENHANCED. If someone in this universe has the courage to think it is not possible, you proof him wrong!!

Idea: Davies' Locker. A fantastic container for treasure maps and MIBs. But then why not make the maps inside sortable (even in a simple explorer window it is possible to sort the directory-content by filename, date, type and filesize - This was already the case in windows 3.1, which even wasn't a stand-alone operating system, so the programming cannot be that difficult)?

Idea: Shard Shields. Why they only come shard-fixed? It would be easy to offer a shard-fixed shield, as they do in fact and a shard shield which gives a random token, similar to the sheep statue which gives random wool or hides, mining charts which give random gems or ores, dolphin rugs which give random MIB and skull rugs which give random treasure maps....

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as stratics is willing to give us this forum, the ingame-bug-report is nothing more than a nice feature - there are more important things than that.
is always better to report the bugs on my forum, in here I might don't read it...

Now I found the tool-type settings (hidden quite well I must say), put it to smithing press and voilà the trick is done. So thank you for helping me out here, I never would have found this myself....like I just said: hidden quite well...
Disable advanced crafting?? Are you nuts?? It is one of the BEST features of your UI :) .
The talisman bonus you said the client has to read the properties. OK. But the default UI does this correct, so the client reads correct - it is your UI who neglects it....
The gump on the default UI is the same of CC generated server side...

In my imagination the team at EA has a meeting and after some brainstorming the guys come up with, in part, great ideas. But then the ideas get stuck before further development. You want examples? Here I give you some:
Idea: let's give our customers an enhanced client (the client we are using now - let's call it the classic client - is not really en vogue nowadays and we might loose customers who will leave Ultima and go to WoW or some other nitwit game the market offers). So the idea of the enhanced client is basically good. Now this client needs a UI. That is logic. But then why not make a UI like yours, so the client really deserves the name ENHANCED. If someone in this universe has the courage to think it is not possible, you proof him wrong!!

Idea: Davies' Locker. A fantastic container for treasure maps and MIBs. But then why not make the maps inside sortable (even in a simple explorer window it is possible to sort the directory-content by filename, date, type and filesize - This was already the case in windows 3.1, which even wasn't a stand-alone operating system, so the programming cannot be that difficult)?

Idea: Shard Shields. Why they only come shard-fixed? It would be easy to offer a shard-fixed shield, as they do in fact and a shard shield which gives a random token, similar to the sheep statue which gives random wool or hides, mining charts which give random gems or ores, dolphin rugs which give random MIB and skull rugs which give random treasure maps....
they just have 1 guy working on 2 clients + server, and the time is what it is...

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
is always better to report the bugs on my forum, in here I might don't read it...
Looks like I'm just a lucky ******* (speaking in UO-terms luck 150000 or so) then: 2 posts and you reply to both within minutes after I post them...

The gump on the default UI is the same of CC generated server side...
OK, now I understand (or at least I think I understand).

they just have 1 guy working on 2 clients + server, and the time is what it is...
I hope this guy is never ill (at least not a severe illness) or retired, if this one guy is responsable for all the features the game offers, he did quite a good job.
In short: I like the game but I love your UI. It lifts a good game up to a level which makes it a fantastic game. No EC without Pinco's UI, like no CC without UOAssist.
Henzy