• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bug With Protection?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I run pro most of the time on my tamer.. always have. Never got "interrupted" until the last month or so. The only change I have made is adding a little Casting Focus onto my suit, not that I really wanted or needed Casting Focus, but the pieces had what I needed on them.

So is there a known issue with running Pro and having Casting Focus causing people to be interrupted? Or have they made changes to Pro while I was away?

The list of critters that have caused interruptions is long.. but basically everything in the game lol.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have 6% focus. I only have trouble when I forget to put protection back on when I die. Saves my life almost every day.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run pro all the time and have a piece with CF and don't get interrupted.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Casting Focus should just be removed... It's the worst property to become part of UO, At least until "Spell Consumption" spawns on more items...

If you're getting interrupted in protection It's one of these reasons, likely #2 or 3.

#1) You get hit by "Force Arrow".
#2) You don't have enough mana to cast whatever spell you're casting due to something casting mana drain on you before you target with your spell.
#3) You're paralyzed while you're trying to target with your spell.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's been awhile but i think the mysticism spell Purge Magic use to be able to remove Protection, not sure if i'm remembering correctly though.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use a talisman of ward removal on myself (and in combat) to remove protection.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I use a talisman of ward removal on myself (and in combat) to remove protection.
hehehe, i use to do that when i pvp'd!
take off peoples protection then wade in and kill them.
ahhhhh memories!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Casting Focus should just be removed... It's the worst property to become part of UO
It was added to help the mage class compete with changes to gear. As swing speed kept increasing, so did the odds of interruption, hence the addition of casting focus. With suits the way they are today, it is almost completely necessary to have casting focus against some templates.

BTW, I don't like it either, but it did help to balance the game...

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was added to help the mage class compete with changes to gear. As swing speed kept increasing, so did the odds of interruption, hence the addition of casting focus. With suits the way they are today, it is almost completely necessary to have casting focus against some templates.

BTW, I don't like it either, but it did help to balance the game...
Mages gain more benefit from gear than dexers do, without casting focus. why? because Mages are stronger & more versatile than dexers (they always have been), in every situation except pvm.

The odds of interruption have always been the same, it's the frequency in which they occur that has increased, but since swing-speed is capped at 1.25s, mages can guarantee a mini heal between hits which is ~40-50% of most dexer attacks worth of damage, if a hit should miss, that's ample time for a G-heal which out-heals the damage done in a single hit.

The only thing casting focus did, was destroy mage dueling by adding more RNG to it, couple that with Poison immunity & dueling is dead.

Casting Focus didn't help balance the game. It gives mages an unnecessary edge in pvp, because dexers will always have a chance to miss anyway, and most spells can already be cast between a dexers attacks.

Besides, if it was meant to balance things at all it was an extremely poor attempt by adding a 12-17% chance of "balance". If they truly wanted to balance mages with dexers they'd remove Casting focus from procing from Player-based damage and increase the values Casting Focus spawns on items & scribe bonus to reach 100% for pvm-based damage. That would go much further in terms of balancing pvp and pvm between both dexers & mages.

Also, Casting focus cancels out paralyzes (paralyze/nervestrike) just like protection would but at a "chance" & without casting speed penalties.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@CovenantX, again I agree with you regarding not liking it, but the gear at the time it was released was limited to what...6 mods? It made sense at the time...

Jump to today, all gear with 10-13 mods on every piece, splintering LP, and pets that have better stats than I do with no slayers to kill them? Yeah, casting focus seems more necessary than before...

Regarding dueling, you can easily make cookie cutter suits that serve that purpose. Also, I thought mysticism killed dueling due to double interrupts...