• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Britannia News Network Archives: The Skara Brae Faire Grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are the BNN Articles related to the construction of the Skara Brae Faire Ground on Baja. The first couple articles deal with the passing of the previous landowner, which leads to the construction of the Skara Brae Faire Grounds.

It seems that the last few sentances of these articles are missing. If anyone discovers the location of the full article, please send me a private message.

Wealthy Land Owner Passes On - August 13th, 2000

Ambrose, one of Skara Brae's most influential landowners, quietly passed away two weeks ago, after a long and drawn out sickness. Also long and drawn out is the story of the slow decay of his lands. Once, under Ambrose's expert management, the fields had not only been the largest, but also the most productive of the township. For several years already he had been bedridden by illness, forcing him to hire managers to direct the laborers toiling at his fields - - an unhappy succession, as each manager in turn proved unable to properly direct the seedings and reapings, instead depleting the land's fertility. Ambrose hired and fired an average of two of them per year, to no avail, as the land continued to lose its value through misuse and abuse. Now that the grieving is over, the late Ambrose's neighbors voice concerns over what will happen to the wide swaths of land owned by Ambrose.

"He was the biggest landowner around here", recalls Dwayne, who was Ambrose's closest neighbor. "Of course his land was being overused, but if you leave it fallow for a few years, it can be fertile again." Also problematic is the land's new owner. "Ambrose's nephew ended up being his heir", Dwayne says. "He was some sort of merchant who lived in Magincia, and he sure ain’t any better than the last lot of helpers. At least Ambrose had the sense to hire farmers to work on his fields, this man’s been hiring carpenters…"

The heir in question, as a quick visit to Ambrose's attorney informed us, is a Magincian merchant named Bert; mostly a caravan master, he has nonetheless tried his hand in just about every commercial endeavor known to Britannians. Unfortunately Bert was negotiating a deal in Jhelom when we came by his home in Magincia, and thus was unable to comment.

Regardless of who owns them, however, more concerns remain about whether the economy can support so many farms. "There's a lot of farms in Britannia", explains Laura, who owns a single farm a long while away from Ambrose's lands. "Every time I go to market there's more stalls, but not a lot more customers. I'm worried that the smaller farms may get crowded out by big ones like Ambrose's."

"It was almost a good thing for the region that Ambrose's farms slowly lost their production", Dwayne says, seeming almost ashamed at the notion. "There was already more supply than demand, and if the farms had been producing like they had ten years ago some of the smaller farmers would've had to leave."

"I was almost hoping that this merchant fellow would forget about the land, but with all the activity over there as of late, he seems to be up to
Skara Brae Craftsmen Unusually Busy - August 14th, 2000

Skara Brae's craftsmen have always been an industrious lot, since hard work strengthens the spirit so dear to the residents of this township. This month, however, their work ethic has been put to a harsh test, as a large number of huge requests for their work has been received.

"It's incredible", explains Devin, a carpenter. "Normally at this time of the year, people only request replacement furniture for redecorating their homes a bit and maybe replace a broken table or two. But this year... First the housing boom, and now this fellow who comes in and orders several thousand boards! Not furniture, not chests, just the boards. What could someone possibly want to do with just boards, let alone several thousand?"

His partner, the lumberjack Edward, agrees. "I am going to have to travel far a field, maybe as far as Yew, to find all that wood", he explains. "And even then it's going to be rough. I have three people already all over the forest and I'm going to have to add two more or I'm not going to meet it!"

Other craftsmen, running the gamut of Skara Brae's market, have received similar outlandish requests. "With my neighbor passed away and his lands in the hands of some merchant, I have the largest farm of the region", the farmer Joseph announces proudly. "I didn't expect the kind of order I'd get, though. Lord Agnacio asked to make ready enough food for well over two hundred people!" The benefits of this unexpected boom extend to other Britannian cities. "I've had to import all kinds of cattle from all over Britannia", Dwayne recounts. "And I'm going to have to do the same with grain and vegetables."

The person responsible for this mini-boom is none other than the famed Lord Agnacio, Skara Brae's wealthiest nobleman. Met by our reporters at his manor, Agnacio was mysterious as to the whys and wherefores of his orders. "You'll see", was his message. "I promise you won't be disappointed. I am going to resurrect a long-lost Skara Braean tradition", was the most he would say.

Whatever Lord Agnacio is planning, it must be soon, if the time limits of the orders is any guide. "Requests for rounded stones are already pretty rare", explains Gwen, a stonecutter of Skara Brae. "Spires and round towers are completely out of fashion. But the man not only wants them, he gave me less than a week to cut them!" She indicates she will have to hire additional apprentices to finish the job in time without neglecting her other customers. The specifics of the order are also puzzling. "With the curvature he asks for, whatever he intends to build can't be more than two paces across."

But the gold is too good to pass up. "Twelve coins a stone - - thrice the usual price!" says Gwen with a glint in her eye. "Whoever it is, he has a lot of gold to throw about", Devin concurs. "Agnacio paid me twice the usual fare for the boards!" "And then he negotiated a price with me for getting the logs", Edward adds. "I tried to tell him that Devin's price already included my own fee, but he'd hear none of it." In total, he counts, the boards will give the pair four times their usual revenue. "I don't know why Agnacio wants any of these", Gwen concludes, "but if he's willing to spend so much gold, we'll do our best to accommodate
Skara Brae Faire Grounds Constructed - August 15th, 2000

Agnacio, nobleman of Skara Brae, and Bert, the Magincian merchant who became Skara Brae's largest landowner overnight, announced today that they were entering a partnership. The move puzzled and confused many people, both among those who watch the nobility and those who track the land's merchants.

"It must be a great move for Bert", said Jeremy, a scribe in Yew. "He has found an independently wealthy nobleman to partner with, but I truly wonder what Agnacio thinks he will get out of it. Something like this has to have a very specific purpose."

Goriel, a Trinsic shop owner, was equally puzzled. "I personally don't see what Bert is looking for here. Agnacio is known as a bit of a philantropist, but he has no real interest in the mechant's craft. He can supply gold, of course, but I know of a dozen potential partners for Bert who are equally wealthy and who would prove more useful on the commercial side of things." While the pair has not revealed the purpose of their partnership, one immediate result has been felt. Skara Brae's craftsmen were asked for one last flurry of activity as Agnacio's plan came together today, and the purpose behind the nobleman's purchases has been revealed. Today on Bert's fields near Skara Brae stands a stage, an arena, a statue, a banquet table... and more.

"Agnacio's craftsmen are very talented", said the famed architect Benton. "Not only are these constructions well-made and well-designed, they've also been erected almost overnight. That must have taken a lot of work, and I must say, I am impressed." Strong approval from a man who has been known to harshly critique the style of Lord Blackthorne's residence.

Prominently displayed on banners around the field are the words, "Skara Brae Faire Grounds". It seems Agnacio's intent was to give Skara Brae one thing it was direly missing: a place to hold its festivals and holidays.

Rachel, a fighter from Jhelom, was especially excited by the closed arena. "A fine place for dueling", she comments. "Just the right size, not so large that one has to run forever to catch his opponent, but not so small as to make strategy useless." "My friend and I snuck in and tried the stage", said Jean, a young lass of the town who aspires to be a bard. "There's lots of seating for the audience and I love how the sound carries."

Not all mysteries have been solved in Skara Brae, however. "Looking at the calendar, I see no holidays coming", said Jessica, scribe to the town's mayor. "Agnacio might be preparing for the next big feast, but that is a few months from now, so why all the haste?"

Some, like Jean, don't care. "I think Agnacio and Bert are planning a

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now, here are the articles related to the Festival of Spirits.

An Invitation to the Festival of Spirits - August 20th, 2000

Hail Citizens of Britannia,

Allow me to introduce myself, I am Lord Agnacio, a scholarly noble born in the City of Skara Brae. In my time I have read many a book, and pondered over many a tale, but nothing has intrigued me more than that of the history of our land. Countless hours of my life have been poured into reading about great wars, monstrous villains, valiant heroes, and most recently, hallmark festivals that have yet to be equaled - such as the once-proud Skara Brae tradition of the Feast of Spirits.

Long fallen into disuse, on one of the hottest days of the summer, when the sun brings the most light to the soul, all citizens gathered around to hold this Feast of Spirits. Every single year this Feast was held, Skara Brae, the City of Spirituality, would close its shops and begin celebration. This was a time for citizens to sit back, and reflect upon all that made their Spirits soar. They would mingle with other citizens, play games, attend shows, challenge each other at various contests, and most importantly, enjoy themselves and their lives. To conclude, a huge banquet would mark the end of the Feast, with friends confiding in friends their resolutions for the upcoming year.

However, none of this happens anymore. As time went by, year after year, the tradition began to die. Each year as more and more of the townspeople became obsessed with their busy lives, there was no time to attend. Fewer and fewer people continued to attend, until no one showed at all.

Yet the death of this Feast was only the symptom of a much larger problem. Can you not sense the decline of Spirit throughout the land? As I make my strolls through the towns, everywhere I look stand more and more disheartened people going about their daily tasks, for no reason other than they know nothing better. Hard work and toil has chipped away at our Spirit for so very long, that a Virtue, which once served as our guiding beacon, has become muddled and obscured, and as result we have become lost.

It is for that very reason that I sought out my new partner, the merchant Bert, and have invested a great fortune into constructing the massive Faire Grounds upon his land. Mark my word citizens, the Feast of Spirits will be held once again. Let us all rejoice in games and show and good cheer! Let us make plans for our future and renew our Spirit! It shall be not just a time of joy, but also a time of thought, as we reflect upon those qualities that make our Spirits soar.

With no further hesitation:

I Cordially Invite You To Attend the Skara Brae Feast of Spirits

Date: Sunday, Sept. 3, 2000

Time: Noon PST to Midnight PST

Where: The Skara Brae Faire Grounds, located North-East of Skara Brae, at 47o 32'S 25o 47'W, in Trammel

What to Expect: Food, fun, drink and game! There are currently many events planned, ranging from scavenger hunts to arena brawls against rare and exotic beasts, however...

Why should my associates and I be the only ones allowed to provide for a good time? We wish to open it up to you, and to all citizens, to run events at the Feast. This is a chance for your guild, city, tavern, town, etc. to stand up and be noticed, and to do so in a way that benefits countless others. Come, be creative, and share the Spirit you have with everyone!

Now, for a number of reasons, ranging from avoiding scheduling conflicts (e.g. use of the stage), to ensuring that all events are kept within the Spirit of the event, I ask that you please submit all events prior for approval. To make this easy for all involved, I ask that all submissions be made using the following format:

Name of Event:

Organization/Person Holding the Event:

Needed Faire Facilities (Stage, Arena, Tables, Bar, Pond, etc.):

Requested Time to Start Event (PST) (Include three):

Estimated Length of Event:

Event Description:

Any Other Information/Comments You Wish to Include:

The deadline for event submissions will be Wednesday, August 30, but it is strongly recommended you get your submissions in early to secure one of your requested timeslots.

As a final note, I will be extremely busy with preparation work these next couple of weeks, so I ask that you please direct any questions, or event submissions, towards Seer Eliar at [email protected]

Thank you for your interest, and I look forward to seeing you at the Feast!

Your Friend,
Feast of Spirits Reminder - August 27th, 2000

Hail Citizens of Britannia,

With hard work and toil consuming our lives, our minds have become stretched, and our memories lay worn. So now, as we edge closer and closer towards the grand Feast of Spirits, I feel it has become necessary to issue a reminder of my invitation to each and everyone of you:

You are Cordially Invited To Attend the Skara Brae Feast of Spirits

Date: Sunday, Sept. 3, 2000

Time: Noon PST to Midnight PST

Where: The Skara Brae Faire Grounds, located North-East of Skara Brae, at 47o 32'S 25o 47'W, in Trammel

What to Expect: Food, fun, drink and game! There are activities of all sorts planned throughout the day!

As previously noted, all are invited not only to participate in the events held, but also to contribute with their own! Already, we have many guilds lined up to present plays, hold pie-eating contests, preside over races, etc. But there is still much space left to fill! This is the perfect chance to stand up and be noticed, and to do so in a way that benefits countless members of the community!

If you, your guild, tavern, city or town, would like to hold events at the Feast, it is asked that all events be submitted prior for approval. To make this as easy as possible for myself, and my workers, all events must be submitted using the following format:

Name of Event:

Organization/Person Holding the Event:

Needed Faire Facilities (Stage, Arena, Tables, Bar, Pond, etc.):

Requested Time to Start Event (PST) (Include three):

Estimated Length of Event:

Event Description:

Any Other Information/Comments You Wish to Include:

Please remember that all event submissions must be in no later than Wednesday, August 30th, so time is of the essence!

As a final note, I will remain busy with preparation work until the day of the Feast, so any questions or event submissions you may have, should be directed to Seer Eliar at [email protected].

Thank you for your interest, and I look forward to seeing you at the Feast!

Your Friend,
Feast of Spirits A Huge Success! - September 11th, 2000

Skara Brae - The long-awaited Feast of Spirits, a traditional faire where folk could enjoy merriment and good cheer, was celebrated this year for the first time in decades… And I’m relieved to say that it was nothing short of a resounding success.

In attendance was a crowd the likes of which had not been seen since the valiant defenders of Britannia descended for their final battle in Trinsic. However, this time, the occasion was merriment, not war.

"It was a lot of fun!" said Marie, a local rancher. "I especially liked the horse race. There was quite a bit of exceptional horseflesh being ridden out there, but I think the credit should go to the riders. Their guidance of the animals was truly inspired."

"The Last Man Standing contest was a true test of Valor", said the warrior Roland. "But it was a test of wit as much as it was a test of strength. It was obvious that the latter contestants had developed strategies that enabled them to stand longer in the arena. In the end, this served them as well as a stout heart and strong swordarm."

Besides those contests of Valor, mellower pursuits were available. "The Cinderella play, written and acted by The Golden Globe Players, was a wonderful rendition of that classic tale of a downtrodden girl from N’ujelm succeeding where the wicked fail", noted Eleanor, an actress who fondly recalls the long walk that brought her from Britain to the Faire Grounds.

Yet, this was but a small sample of the events that Bert, Lord Agnacio, and many independent contributors organized. "I'd say it was a resounding success", said Lord Agnacio. "I found that my fears about the people's Spirituality were not well-founded in the least, and this has served to strengthen my own spirit. For this, I wish to thank everyone who came and participated in the Feast."

Agnacio's partner, Bert, nailed to his bed with a serious case of pneumonia, could not attend the event. Yet, despite that, he remained pleased with the Feast. "The attendance was far greater than expected", he said gleefully. "We ran out of food and ale!"

Agnacio smiled at this and said, "I dare say that the Feast, and the sheer amount of people who attended, have convinced him that my idea to leave the Faire Grounds standing was the right one. Now the folk of Britannia will have a grand place to hold their own festivals and events."

"Indeed", said Bert. "More folk to pass by my vendors and shops."

The fortuneteller Katrina, meanwhile, makes her next prediction known. "I sense that we have not seen the last of the Feast of Spirits, or of the Faire
Note: The Golden Globe Players were the theatrical band of actors and playwrights associated with the Golden Brew Tavern and the Golden Knights. Their name came from "The Golden Globe", a player-theater established right next to the Golden Brew in the original village of Golden. They were alternately known as "The Golden Brew Players" and "The Golden Knight Players."

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Announcing "The Championship Horse-Racing League - October 10th, 2000

Hail Friends,

After many sleepless nights, and countless hours of debate, I am pleased to present to you, the agreed upon format for “The Championship Horse-Racing League”.

To begin, each season in the league will run for a total of seven weeks. The first six weeks of every season will be open to all that are interested, up to the thirty-six maximum. The seventh week, The Race of Champions, will be restricted to only those who have qualified through previous weeks of racing, and will serve to determine the season’s ultimate victor.

What follows is the format for each of the six weekly races, not counting the Race of Champions:

Title: The Championship Horse-Racing League – Season One
Location: Skara Brae Race Tracks, 56o 46’S 35o 26’W, in Trammel, visible off the main road to Skara
When: This Thursday, and every Thursday, at 8pm PST

As previously mentioned, each week the races will be limited to only thirty-six racers so it is highly suggested that you show up early to secure a slot.

First Round (Total of 36 Racers):

Those thirty-six racers will be divided into six groups of six, with each group running three heats of two laps each. The winners of each heat in a group will advance to the second round.

Second Round (Total of 18 Racers):

The eighteen remaining racers will be split into three groups of six. Each group will run two heats of three laps each. The winners of each heat in a group will advance to the third round.

Third Round (Total of 6 Racers):

The six racers will be split into three groups of two. Each group will run a best, two out of three heat series, with each heat consisting of two laps. The winner of each group will advance to the final round.

Final Round (Total of 3 Racers):

The format for the Final round will be subject to change each week, and for that reason will not be disclosed prior to the event.

Prizes for each week will include:

1st Place: 10k – Qualified for the Race of Champions
2nd Place: 5k – Qualified for the Race of Champions
3rd Place: 2.5k – Qualified for the Race of Champions

Plus, anything else we are able to scavenge throughout the week, from sets of armor to tattered treasure maps. As well as the obligatory mention in the next printing of the BNN.

Details regarding the Race of Champions, and prizes offered for that event, will be announced at a later date.

I thank you all for your interest, and look forward to seeing you down at the track! May the best rider win!

Your Friend,
Meredith the Bard Resumes Tale Night [BNN Baja Archives; August 2000]

Hot on the heels of her performance at the Feast, the well-known wandering minstrel Meredith has resumed yet another tradition, this one much more recent than the venerable Feast of Spirits: Meredith's own weekly Tale Night.

Relying on but a few kind souls to spread the word about the event, the lady bard was quite surprised by the number of people who kindly attended the performance. Thankfully, the Faire Grounds' well-appointed stage and bar proved a worthy venue for the showgoers.

The show itself was a little different from what people might expect. Meredith began by reciting a few stories. One, a new tale of adventure she had recently heard. The others, older and deeper in meaning.

She then cordially invited members of the audience to take the stage and share their own tales… And many did, to the delight of performer and audience alike. Poems, tales, and songs were performed by both famed entertainers and relative newcomers, all gaining a warm round of applause.

Meredith closed the show by playing a round of Story Roulette, a game in which the contestant is given three words at random from the audience, and must compose, on the spot, a story involving each of them. This feat of improvisation seems daunting to many, but as Meredith often says, "It's easier than it looks!"

That truly is the moral of Meredith's show: Anyone who wishes can stand in front of the crowd and share their own tale, no matter how skilled they think they are. Oft they will surprise themselves and others.

Story-lovers take note: Meredith’s Tale Night is now a weekly tradition, and will be held each and every Wednesday at 6:30 PM PST, upon the Skara Brae Faire Grounds. All are invited to attend and to participate, so come on down and share a tale or two!

The Skara Brae Faire Grounds are located at 47o 32'S 25o 47'W, just North-East of Skara Brae, on the Trammel facet.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, I found this to be very interesting!

This is the invitation to the very first BSR Tournement, posted on April 4th, 2001. At the time, the tournement was actually known as the Archer's Faire.

Freeborn Press: Archers Faire (Trammel) - April 4th, 2001

The Society of Archers Baja Chapter is pleased to announce that it will hold it's first ever Archers Faire on Saturday April 14th. The event will be held at the Skara Brae Fairgrounds in Trammel and will begin at 2:00pm (PST). There will be an Archery event, a Lumberjack event and a Bowyer/Fletcher event, with prizes being awarded in all three. The main purpose of the Archers Faire, however, is to unite Archers with Archery Craftsmen.

We are still looking for any Lumberjacks or Bowyers that are interested in selling their goods (boards/shafts/bows/etc...) at the Faire. There is no fee, all are welcome to come sell their goods and participate in the Faire for free. We are expecting quite a turnout so it could be a great opportunity for craftsman to get rid of some of their wares, and a terrific opportunity for Archers to find bulk arrows and many bows and crossbows.

Please e-mail us ([email protected]) if you are interested in selling at the Archers Faire. Otherwise, I hope to see many of you there. Farewell.

Status
Not open for further replies.