• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Breaking Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, just to start this off, I as a moderator am choosing to inform you of why we do some things the way we do. This does not mean however that I am opening up the forum or any other for you to go and discuss moderator actions. This will be in this thread and this thread only!!!

Now, as to some concerns some of you have about how harsh we are being, well, you have to understand something I date back to long before LONG before the acclaimed "tamer wars" When our beloved scarlet thief was moderator (yes I am that old) and I have seen this place at its absolute best, and at its worst. We are trying to breathe new life into the Baja forums while trying to stamp out some of the behavior that got it "axed" in the first place. Yes, here lately we are being harsh and "dictatorshipish" as some have pointed out, but we don't want to see this place become the receptacle for the dregs of Baja. We want EVERYONE to feel welcome to post and be here and enjoy.

Right now we are trying a few new things, trying to sort out what works and what wont. I chose to put up a screen shot thread after a few complaints about clicking a thread that didn't indicate pictures and some poor souls having lousy load times. I chose to keep all the screen shots located in one thread that way when people wanted to look at them they could at there leisure not by indirect headers that didn't show "pics" were involved. Yeah, even I admit its not fair to the majority of us in the 21st century with DSL and Cable that the few with dial up dictated the need for a screen shot thread but there it is. It might or might not be around much longer, only time will tell.

As for the PVP thread, it is still in the infancy, while we are trying to police the PVP crowd and get them to treat each other with a modicum of respect here on the boards. In the recent past, the pvp threads have gotten to be out of control flame fests accusing this person and that person if every sorts of evil which goes against the roc. So it was moved to a thread that won’t be policed as much, and you can feel free to shout until your heart is content as long as you remain in the ROC. You are all adults (or near to being one) and understand simple rules such as the ROC. If you all can police yourself and remember to show respect at all times then eventually the PVP thread will be dropped and you can go back to new pvp threads as many as you like AS LONG AS you choose to stay with in the ROC.

Our rules are not hard to follow, but now and then a few bad apples make it hard for the rest of us to enjoy the boards.

Now, to the one thing I have been asked about the most. “Why are PVP screen shots locked, while Trammel event screen shots left alone” … Well the answer is simple, they are submitted as NEWS ITEMS. There is a difference between a Reporter posting an article to a regular poster filling up a post with 10+ screen shots with no words no descriptions no anything, we have a screen shot thread for a reason. Use it.

Now I have explained more then enough, if you have more questions Oriana and I will answer you the best we can. Maybe we can even get Orvago in on this.

Pixielove

R

RD Gumbie

<blockquote><hr>

acclaimed "tamer wars" When our beloved scarlet thief was moderator

[/ QUOTE ]

Good times! This board was hoping back then and the tamer wars had Baja shard forum vs tamer forum I bet at that point the baja forum was at it's peek. Then the new blood came in and ruined it over one little post. Then Eld's boards were huge for a few years.

I still hate tamer forum people!!! lol

I have an idea on how to get that back:
We need to get a fisherman from the fisher forum to post on here how he fell off his boat that he's has for 8 years and it's the love of his life and if he doesnt find it he could killl himself. Then we let him have it and tell him how it is! Then he brings all his fisher buddies over and we are rolling in the posts and action again

Or because pixielove brought up how much those tamers on the tamer forum stink and that they like to start wars we could go over there and start a fight with them?

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To add to what Pixie said. We are trying to breathe life back into Baja and it's forums. No, not just the Tram related stuff either. I welcome any of the guilds to invite me to tag along. I teh suxxors at PvP but eh I'll try. We're not trying to squelch the PvP scene at all, but some threads and posts were breaking the RoC. Sorry but it is our job to enforce said RoC. I created the PvP thread in the hopes of giving it a home that I didn't have to police so hard. If any of you have other ideas, please feel free to send them to Pixie or I in a PM, or even to me in an ICQ which is in my profile. I just really want this to be a great forum.

Xelious Norwood

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Baja has been slowly dieing for about the last year/year and a half.
Doubt you will be able to help any.
I know I need to stay positive, but its hard to do so when UO is so messed up.
As for the forums, LOL, what can i say, all i see is nothing but complaints.
Forums are pointless to read anymore. But a habbit thats hard to break.
Although if you want to get ticked off about any given thing just read the forums, its bound to be in there.

I

imported_SuperKen

We appreciate the hard work and effort. Keep it up ladies and gents!

People will complain about almost anything. The folks who frequent these forums for more than just pvp smack talk should be willing to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

B

Biske

For my two cents in the matter, I don't really think your reasoning is wrong in any way, just the way it was implemented. Frankly if there was a pvp FORUM that was less moderated as is your intent with the thread that would be a brilliant solution. But a single thread is simply not practical. A large pvp fight is by all means an equivalent to a reported event in tram. You simply can't put five different news reports in one thread and add a new one every two days when people are still talking about the old ones. I mean shoot, you guys have seen for yourselves. There have been pvp threads that have been posted on actively for several weeks. And new things happen in fel daily.

Ultimately you just can't fit the world of fel and its happenings in one thread. And 90% of the fel community would rather not post at all then have to deal with everyone and their words herded into one cluttered thread.

However I also have to submit to the fact that you are absolutely right. Most pvpers and pks have a completely different mentality then the "trammies" and things are prone to get heated. Especially when I get in there because everyone is so vastly envious of me. (just kidding... but seriously =P) Anyways, I think you are absolutely right. It's just the way things are and they probably wont change any time soon. So I personally would suggest a middle ground. As it stands now it seems as though the only options put on the table is either let all of us tyrants run rampant and scare away the little 'uns or lock us all in a dark padded room and wait for us to all suffocate and die off.

However it doesn't have to be simply path A or path B. There is another possibility that you yourself alluded to. Let us police ourselves. Now obviously even if most of us are civil, there will be those who ruin it. History has shown that, and it would be foolish to think otherwise. But you can still at least rely on that 90%. Maybe if you allowed the posters themselves to label their threads as *pvp* when they post it and hold such threads to the same standards as the single thread you have everyone restrained to now it will allow us the space to function while maintaining civility in other threads.

After all if you want to segregate us, then you have to allow us to be separate but equal. Not give us the back of the bus and call it good. History has shown that as well.

I

imported_Intoxication

as much as i hate to agree with biske........ he is right.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He is and I have a proposal and a few ideas myself. More to come!!

J

jaashua

Can't you just hit Back if you see a bunch of slowly loading screenshots?

I, for one, will never visit a "screenshot" thread. I don't care about that you spelled your name with potted plants and magic fish and think it's so cute or that you found a missing floor tile. Furthermore, I wouldn't be eager to scroll past it to get to things I might find that might interest me.

How about a flag for the OP to indicate screenshots?

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RTL

Let's convert all of the chat on this subject to the new thread posted by myself regarding these matters.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.