• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Brand new player...

sunkzero

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi all,

I logged into Ultima Online many many years ago, in 1998 I think it was (I still have the box on my shelf...! The Second Age...) and a combination of:
- being an easily bored gamer in my early 20's
- not really understanding MMOs at the time
- dial-up Internet causing really really expensive telephone bills at the time in the UK

meant I never really got into it. I've since become a firm MMO player and want to try this game out again as the current MMO's are starting to bore me and ArchAge went from a "woohoo!" in beta to a complete let down on release. I'm pretty sure an open sandboxie type game like UO is what I'm looking for, so here I am!

So a few questions for all you old hands:
- is a brand new player actually going to have a good time or is everyone else so far ahead I'll never be able to contribute?
- are there any guides I can read to get me going?
- any hints and tips for a newbie just starting off in this big scary world? :-O
- I'm based in the UK, is Europa the right server for me in terms of activity during evenings and weekends GMT? Is Europa active at all?

I've not actually sub'd or started yet, just getting a feel for the right way to start before I take the plunge, probably this weekend!

TIA!

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome! I still have a T2A box tucked away safely ;)

You don't need to be super powered to enjoy the game, just as in the old days there are things to do for players of every level. A good way to get help with reintegrating is to hang out at West Britain Bank (the main one) in the evening as I believe there's still a regular gathering there between around 6 and 7 UK time. I'm not on regularly these days so don't have much advice to offer, but there are a bunch of NPC quests, champion spawns, dungeons etc that you can dip into whenever you want and I'm sure there are still active guilds who do regular hunts as well as some public hunts (like the story events and Scalis fights that Escaflowne has been organising)

Whatever floats your boat, hopefully you'll find enough to keep you here now you're back!

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to Europa! The bank meet is there every evening 1 hour and is there to meet and greet new and returning players, chat, repair , answer questions and eat pizza! New Player House is explained at the top of this forum. We also have a guild that recruits new and returning players Ef4t , Leader Tokot. Great help to get hang of things . UO can look a bit owerwhelming for a new player but it gets easier ower time and the gap between new and old isnt as hard to owercome as it might seem. People seem very rich but inflation has been huge and gold is easy to make now compared to what you might remember. See you at the bank!

hirikawa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Europa is fun place to belong with, lot of friendly people. I suggest playing there due to ping and time zones. You can attend EM events and player events. On the most populated Atlantic its hard for people that live in Europa because events are in the middle of night.

sunkzero

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for all the replies everyone, one last question - is there plenty to do with other players, even as a beginner? I don't mind the odd solo thing to go off and quietly grind some crafting mats or whatever but I'm really done with the modern MMO that has people playing solo 90% of the time :S

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feel free to come to the mage poker games on Monday nights (20:00 BST). No skill required! Season 9 of the battle chicken league should be starting soon too. That does require a pet, but we could likely try and hook you up with one if it's something you find you enjoy.

Also, if RP is anything you're interested in consider checking out VTC. RP has fallen along way over the last few years sadly, not many players left, but can still have fun!

Tia

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi everyone,
Just popped by to see how everyone is doing?
Its been a couple of years since i last played, but the game still intrigues me
What`s new these days? any new expansions?
Is there any old players out there still i knew ?
Have quiet a few health problems atm but i am defo considering opening my old account
Is it worth it? does any one still play Europa?
Love & hugs to any one who knows me, and to all those who are new
xxxxxx

hirikawa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
A lot of friendly community on Europa is still there! New loot system makes people busy doing new templates, and upcoming expansion will provide some new land. It's still worth come and enjoy Ultima Online. If you don't, later it might be impossible if game for example would end someday. Don't regret it might be last call! :)

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi everyone...
I think I still have some of your crafted armour from years and years ago :)
Probably not a great deal has changed in the game since you were last playing, but it sounds like Time of Legends will be a big deal from the snippets of information I've seen, so this could be a really good time for people to get back into UO or try it for the first time.

sunkzero

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi all,

Well I played for a short while (had less time than I had hoped) over the weekend.

I won't be seeing you in Britain bank for a little bit as obviously I've started in the newbie area of New Haven and I was reading it's best to get your key skills to 50 before leaving there, so I'll be working my way through that. A couple of things puzzling me:

- skill training, is it worth paying for any of those? Judging by the costs I could only afford to do a couple before wiping out my starting 1000 gold so I presume that's a luxury not worth buying?
- skill training again - I've started off with a Paladin. The Paladin GM recommends Chivalry, Swordsmanship, Tactics, Focus, Anatomy and Resisting Spells as the skills to focus on... so I'll get those all to 50 before leaving NH? Anyone want to advise anything different?
- is New Haven instanced? I didn't think anything in this game was but I didn't see any other players so I wasn't sure...

TIA!

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven is not instanced and ypu can go in and out as much as you like. The public moongate is outside the west gate and if you want to read up on the very essential for a starter, try the bookcases at New Player House 1 screen S of Trinsic moongate.
You can also get a free suit there thats helps during training and first hunting.
The template seems ok , maybe dont spend much time on resist training if you are not going to pvp . Buy skills.. many do.. but I think its better to train from zero as you gain fast, and earn stat points that way. Every skill gain gives a chance of gaining stat at the same time. And from most warrior skills you gain strength and dexterity , and you need all you can get for speed and hitpoints. Int you cant afford to have much but you will gain it from Chivalry spellcasting and focus. See you in game!

hirikawa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
sunkzero >> for warrior there is couple of valid templates like Sampire, Bushido Paladin, Paladin, and Archers. Here are guides which can help you with them: http://stratics.com/threads/corwinxxs-warriors-guide-for-new-and-returning-players.303962/

About Paladin / Bushido Paladin setup replace Focus with Healing / Bushido and Resisting Spells with Parrying. Here is my version of Pure (Pure means no Necromancy and no Bushido skill) Paladin setup http://stratics.com/ams/my-setup-the-purest-paladin-ever.13/

We can also meet in game so i can give you for free some starter gear, weapons and gold, i play usually after 20:00 this week

sunkzero

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Haven is not instanced and ypu can go in and out as much as you like. The public moongate is outside the west gate and if you want to read up on the very essential for a starter, try the bookcases at New Player House 1 screen S of Trinsic moongate.
You can also get a free suit there thats helps during training and first hunting.
The template seems ok , maybe dont spend much time on resist training if you are not going to pvp . Buy skills.. many do.. but I think its better to train from zero as you gain fast, and earn stat points that way. Every skill gain gives a chance of gaining stat at the same time. And from most warrior skills you gain strength and dexterity , and you need all you can get for speed and hitpoints. Int you cant afford to have much but you will gain it from Chivalry spellcasting and focus. See you in game!
I had a little hunt around Trinsic but couldn't find the house... can you give me some directions from the moongate please ;-) I'm also not sure what you mean by "screen S"...?

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NPH is 1 screen South of Trinsic Moongate.

Or you could visit us at the Bank any day 6pm - 7pm UK time. We're always there.

Norman Bates

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

I logged into Ultima Online many many years ago, in 1998 I think it was (I still have the box on my shelf...! The Second Age...) and a combination of:
- being an easily bored gamer in my early 20's
- not really understanding MMOs at the time
- dial-up Internet causing really really expensive telephone bills at the time in the UK

meant I never really got into it. I've since become a firm MMO player and want to try this game out again as the current MMO's are starting to bore me and ArchAge went from a "woohoo!" in beta to a complete let down on release. I'm pretty sure an open sandboxie type game like UO is what I'm looking for, so here I am!

So a few questions for all you old hands:
- is a brand new player actually going to have a good time or is everyone else so far ahead I'll never be able to contribute?
- are there any guides I can read to get me going?
- any hints and tips for a newbie just starting off in this big scary world? :-O
- I'm based in the UK, is Europa the right server for me in terms of activity during evenings and weekends GMT? Is Europa active at all?

I've not actually sub'd or started yet, just getting a feel for the right way to start before I take the plunge, probably this weekend!

TIA!
This is your LUCKY DAY! It just so happens that Deal Or Deal will be On Europa sat. 1st with a chance to win up to 200 mil UO gold...wouldn't THAT be a nice start:]