• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Brand New and Late to the Party

I

Infit

So, after 3 years with THAT OTHER MMORPG, I've finally decided to give FFXI a shot after THAT OTHER MMORPG started going in a direction I wasn't happy with (I would have tried FFXI sooner, but didn't own a computer halfway capable of handling it until about 6 months ago) and ordered the big bundle pack that I can't remember the name of 2008(tm).

Now, I believe this makes me 5 or so years late to the party, and I'm not sure where to start. What's a good class to start out with for a beginner to get a feel for the game? Moreover, what's a good server to find a half decent guild willing to take in a brand newbie? :p

Also, any other tips (or thread links if there are any) for a newb to the FFXI universe would be great.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, after 3 years with THAT OTHER MMORPG, I've finally decided to give FFXI a shot after THAT OTHER MMORPG started going in a direction I wasn't happy with (I would have tried FFXI sooner, but didn't own a computer halfway capable of handling it until about 6 months ago) and ordered the big bundle pack that I can't remember the name of 2008(tm).

Now, I believe this makes me 5 or so years late to the party, and I'm not sure where to start. What's a good class to start out with for a beginner to get a feel for the game? Moreover, what's a good server to find a half decent guild willing to take in a brand newbie? :p

Also, any other tips (or thread links if there are any) for a newb to the FFXI universe would be great.
Okay so off and running:

Guilds are called linkshells. Some people have several: 1. A social one for exactly that...socializing (too much drama in my opinion), 2. Linkshell (LS) for end-game events...sometimes several since LS's specialize in certain areas. There are VERY few linkshell's that do it all.

Class depends on you. Ask yourself this: Do I like spellcasting or do I like dealing damage on a monster up close or afar.

If spellcaster, choose one of the mage classes to start. I don't recommend white mage. Start with the other's and get a feel. Once you get a feel for the game mechanics...go with white mage if that's what your heart desires.

If damage dealer, go with monk to start. Easiest class to play in the game...hands down. You can level monk to 18, which you will unlock your subjob then (the ability to sub a job and use it's abilities. It is relative to half of your current main job level). Example: Warrior 40 for main job, Subjob ninja which will be at 20 (as long as you have it leveled to 20. otherwise less).

Good server: Don't matter. Just pick one. You can use the online auction house to get a feel for what each game server's economy is like. Quite important since prices can vary immensely.

At level 30, you can unlock the 14 extra jobs. Some are quite difficult to unlock (corsair for example). Some are quite easy and you won't need much help to unlock.

Best of luck to you. Any other questions...ask!

~Diomedes
75 NIN, 75 THF, 75 BLM, 75 RDM, 68 WHM, 63 WAR, 63 BLU, 53 PLD, every other job at 37. (Semi-retired).

I

Infit

Thanks for the rundown on sub jobs. If all the unique aspects of this game, that was probably the most bewildering for me.
The game arrived a couple days ago and I'm now playing as a happy, beefy Galkan Monk (for now, I want to get into tanking when I get a good feel for the game) named Mrog on the Ragnarok server. I made a tarutaru character as well, just for the sake of having an easier time trying the spellcasting classes, but I doubt I'll be playing him for a while.

My only real problem at this moment is, as a former player of THAT OTHER MMORPG, I'm used to the awsd style of movement (obviously, playing on a PC) as opposed to using the num pad, and as far as I can tell, the game instructions have no indicator of how to switch to keyboard config 2, which uses that control setup. So the question is...How do I switch this? OR! Is it a better idea to run and adapt to the config 1 control style, which seems to have its own efficiencies in some places?

Also, I'm really confused by the friends list functionality. I met a fellow that I wanted to add to my friends list in-game, and the big list of shortcut commands says /flist adds some one to my friends list, but all it does is open the list, and from there...well it doesn't let me do much else. I tried any combination of targetting, word-inserting and so forth, but I just couldn't get this guy on my friendlist. I had to resort to just writing his name down so I could look him up later for grouping. How exactly do I get this to work?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the rundown on sub jobs. If all the unique aspects of this game, that was probably the most bewildering for me.
The game arrived a couple days ago and I'm now playing as a happy, beefy Galkan Monk (for now, I want to get into tanking when I get a good feel for the game) named Mrog on the Ragnarok server. I made a tarutaru character as well, just for the sake of having an easier time trying the spellcasting classes, but I doubt I'll be playing him for a while.

My only real problem at this moment is, as a former player of THAT OTHER MMORPG, I'm used to the awsd style of movement (obviously, playing on a PC) as opposed to using the num pad, and as far as I can tell, the game instructions have no indicator of how to switch to keyboard config 2, which uses that control setup. So the question is...How do I switch this? OR! Is it a better idea to run and adapt to the config 1 control style, which seems to have its own efficiencies in some places?

Also, I'm really confused by the friends list functionality. I met a fellow that I wanted to add to my friends list in-game, and the big list of shortcut commands says /flist adds some one to my friends list, but all it does is open the list, and from there...well it doesn't let me do much else. I tried any combination of targetting, word-inserting and so forth, but I just couldn't get this guy on my friendlist. I had to resort to just writing his name down so I could look him up later for grouping. How exactly do I get this to work?
Ah yes...interesting point. And quite an important one.

Important commands:

/sea all (then the area name) Allows you to see anyone in a given zone

/sea all (name of the person) Allows you to see said person (where they are).

/sea all level 35-37 (can use any level range you want, or job). Ex. sea all ninja level 35-37 (will show me everywhere a person with main job of ninja level 35 to 37 is.

/befriend (then the person's name you wrote down that you wanted to add).

/anon This one is an important command when you DO NOT want to be bothered. e.g. you are on main job of red mage and you're level 75. Chances are you will GET TONS of /tells asking if you want to merit.

Unless you are /anon. Anon hides your job and level information from view.

/away same thing as /anon sort of except it allows people to see that you aren't presently at the keyboard. Like if you go away for the day or something...this is a handy command (yet you still want to stay logged-into the game).

/blist add "name" Important command. Someone is harassing you on a constant basis and...you are just plain tired of it. Use this command and they go bye-bye. No more annoying /tells, etc.

/help Another important command. This one does exactly as it sounds. It makes it so the mob chasing you (that is going to kill you soon) or something you are overmatched on becomes available to other members within the area.

It is also handy for when you just plain have too many mobs on you, yet can call help on the nearest one and STILL have a chance to get away.

There's a few other ones, but this is a good start. Let me know what you think.

I

Infit

That's VERY good information that wasn't included with my game. Thanks for sharing :)

B

Banhammer

You're going to hear arguments both ways over whether the game is better controlled with the keyboard or a gamepad. I'm a personal fan of the latter approach, the game arguably being designed with it in mind (I've heard several anecdotes establishing just how much the developers were working with the PS2 in mind when creating FFXI, in fact); but there are just as many who swear by the keyboard.

That said, you can switch to the other keyboard layout by going to the Config menu (it's on the second page of menus), choosing Misc. 2, and then picking "Compact" from "Keyboard Type".