• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Brand Loyalty - "TSO Forever"

• Thread starter Psyco Joe 11
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
P

Psyco Joe 11

I don't like how "The Sims Online" brand name is being transformed and folded into this big conglomerate known as "EA Land". I absolutely love all the changes and progress made within the game - I give the dev's and everyone who contributed to the massive amount of updates a standing ovation - but why do we have to drop "The Sims Online" name?

I thought EA-Land was just going to be the collective group name of all the old cities once they merged. Now it seems like it is the one and only name by which the entire game is being marketed by. It seems like the game is known as EA-Land, not the Sims Online anymore.

They even want to change the currency name from Simoleans to something new. Why is this? Is their a legit reason for this? Is it to show a transition that we are moving away from the word "Sim", and if so, why??

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate change. But, I think its important to remember where we came from and where it all started. I just feel like by these big name changes, some of the past, the basis and foundation of this game, is being swept under the rug and even wiped away.

I still refer to, and will always refer to this game as "TSO", not EA-Land. To be honest, when I think of EA-Land, I think of a McDonald's play place, with the ball pit and slides for some reason. It comes off very corny to me. (Don't mean to hate because I loved those when I was little and still love me some McDonalds <3 mmmm snack wraps) I don't know if that is a put down or not, but I'm loyal to the TSO brand.

I guess I'm just trying to say.. "The Sims Online"/"TSO" forever.. boo to the "EA-Land" name.

G

Couldnt have said it better... the same thing has been bothering me for the last few days... updates yes but takin our whole game away from us is just plain wrong we have been here through thick and thin for 5 years... from day 1 ... its so not right to sneak all of this on us with no choice..

G

maybe it was the only way Luc convinced EA to not close TSO down all together. Plus i think the idea with EA land is to open as a venue for hosting more EA games. not sure how true this is, but it makes since to take away the sims game is they are going to make it a more general way to host games.

TSO is a tarnished name. People laugh at that name outside of this game. So it does make since, its a smart idea.

C

Cruz Cavera

I agree with this. I hope if people keep putting this up maybe we can keep the name.

G

Beatty is correct, it has to do with intellectual property. EA Land does not have the right to use the Sims name, it was one of the bargaining chips to keep the game alive at all. The devs discussed this with us long ago in the pub.

Y

YadaSc

<blockquote><hr>

maybe it was the only way Luc convinced EA to not close TSO down all together. Plus i think the idea with EA land is to open as a venue for hosting more EA games. not sure how true this is, but it makes since to take away the sims game is they are going to make it a more general way to host games.

TSO is a tarnished name. People laugh at that name outside of this game. So it does make since, its a smart idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, what other way to start fresh than to change the name of the game since the game is changing. Peeps see The Sims online and think..uggg. They see Ea.Land and want to try it out....New players.. Yay ! I love all the TSO players always.

M

Monkeybear

TSO 4eva!

Yeh, I thought the name change was a deal that Luc made with EA to form a Dev team for the game.

G

Dude, it's a name!

I don't have any deep feelings associated with the name TSO, except maybe feelings of boredom and anger.

Whenever I think of TSO I think of piece of crap. Idk why.

G

I keep thinking that there is a naming level missing. If EA-Land is to eventually encompass other minigames not related to the Old TSO, then won't it be confusing that the TSO-based megacity game is called EA-Land, and the platform for the whole kit and kaboodle is also called EA-Land?

G

the name TSO already has a very bad reputation, they are trying to get away from it as much as possible in order to give "EA-Land" a better chance of surviving and be successful. The name is extremely lame, but i guess we cant do anything about it atm.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Beatty is correct, it has to do with intellectual property. EA Land does not have the right to use the Sims name, it was one of the bargaining chips to keep the game alive at all. The devs discussed this with us long ago in the pub.

[/ QUOTE ]
How can this be?
EA owns Sims1 and Sims 2, as well as EA Land, we have permission to use Sims objects as bases for CC, and the name "EA" is all over EA Land.
Now, if you're saying the suits told the devs not to use it anymore, that would make sense - but to say that EA Land, as an entity, does not have a legal right (should the suits change their mind) - that boggles my mind.

G

I think what Nikki was trying to point out, was the fact that EA Games wouldn't WANT to use the TSO name due to the negative connotation. I am sure when Luc asked EA for permission to develop the game, there was some sort of catch. In this instance, the catch was that they couldn't use the name TSO.

P

Psyco Joe 11

I was starting to think that EA-Land was just going to be a general umbrella that would eventually host more than TSO. I thought I saw a graphic on the EA-Land website saying.."EA-Land... Now Hosting The Sims Online" - but I don't see it anymore. I took that to mean that EA Land might become a term used to bring together all of EA's online games, and we would still operate under the "Sims Online" name.

I just think its kind of confusing. You see a game that looks and plays exactly like the Sims, but we are not calling it the sims, we are calling it something else.

P

Purdy

<blockquote><hr>

I was starting to think that EA-Land was just going to be a general umbrella that would eventually host more than TSO. I thought I saw a graphic on the EA-Land website saying.."EA-Land... Now Hosting The Sims Online" - but I don't see it anymore. I took that to mean that EA Land might become a term used to bring together all of EA's online games, and we would still operate under the "Sims Online" name.

I just think its kind of confusing. You see a game that looks and plays exactly like the Sims, but we are not calling it the sims, we are calling it something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought they were going to do too, EA-Land its hosting all of EA games. So where does the Sims come in?

Plus they are going to make us pay seperately for all the other games we want to play. This is going to cost us more than the 9.99 a month.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Plus they are going to make us pay seperately for all the other games we want to play. This is going to cost us more than the 9.99 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I need to hit the Town Hall sometime when its open, I never can keep track of the hours.
I want to suggest if the games have separate membership fees, that EA offer some sort of discount incentive for subscribing to more than one game, and/or offer a volume discount for 3 month, 6 month and 1 year subscriptions.

That reminds me......when TC3 first came out before EAL was ever opened we were having dev chats in the IRC channel once a month or so....why did those stop?

G

<blockquote><hr>

its so not right to sneak all of this on us with no choice..

[/ QUOTE ]But apparently we do have a choice - put up with it, or quit.

It's unfortunate that they don't want to listen to those of us who disagree with the direction in which they are dragging what's left of TSO - if, of course, they actually have an idea where they are taking it - but without long term players, there won't be anything for the new players to do, see or visit.

I decided a long time ago that EA wasn't worth wasting any more money at, ever again. Let's hope that they're as careless with the rest of their products as they are being with the community here, and right now nothing would give me more satisfaction for EA to go bankrupt and disappear from existance. It's not possible to express my contempt for these faceless, clueless bureaucrats at EA and stay within the RoC.

I

Inge Jones

Hmm I just had my thread closed because they thought this thread was about the same thing, but I don't think it is really. I'd already read this one and decided it wasn't quite the same conversation as I was trying to start.

Why not actually merge the thread? Because this way if I want to talk about what I was trying to talk about, I will have to actually duplicate my post and the people who answered me would have to duplicate theirs.

G

This forum system is limited to locking or moving.....moderators have no editing ability whatsoever, so no means to 'merge' or edit or (gads I wish!) spellcheck, anyone else's post.