• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Booted from ATM?

G

In a house I was in this a.m., a player was complaining that he got booted from a store while he was using the ATM.
He said that this caused him to error out of the paypal window (?) and resulted in him being charged 5$ but not receiving the simoleons (or the puzzle pieces).
This has the smell of BS to me, but I don't really know.

Is this even possible???

G

I dont know if its possible or not, but if it happened to me I'd be sending a PM to Lee or Pari right quick.

G

im pretty sure that an ATM is only a way to get to the transaction window. once you get there i dont think it has anything to do with your sime ingame, only your account in general.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

In a house I was in this a.m., a player was complaining that he got booted from a store while he was using the ATM.
He said that this caused him to error out of the paypal window (?) and resulted in him being charged 5$ but not receiving the simoleons (or the puzzle pieces).

Is this even possible???

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...thats not nice.
They should lose the boots by EA if they have an ATM ..Period!

D

DGLita

That isnt possible, he was making it up. The ATM transaction is an entirely seperate issue to the game. Clicking on the ATM opens up a web browser, giving you direct access to EA paypal via the internet, NOT via the game.

Whether you are on the lot or not when you do the paypal transaction makes absolutely no difference.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Is this even possible???

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...thats not nice.
They should lose the boots by EA if they have an ATM ..Period!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that...I'd wonder *why* the guy got booted. I think if I was in the middle of an ATM transaction I'd be sure not to talk much, if at all so as not to risk getting booted for cause. However, I'm kinda like Beatty, I think once the transaction is initiated by the ATM, and you get the Paypal screen then it doesnt matter from there what happens....besides for him to have been charged the $5 he would have had to already entered his Paypal e-mail and pw, since I just clicked on one just to see what would happen, and it does require that info to complete the transaction. If I were Lee or Pari, he'd have to pony up proof that his paypal account was docked by EA and they'd have to see that he was never granted the simoleans before anything was done about it. Course me being the bitty-witch I am when it comes to false complaintants, if it was found out he was lying about the whole thing, and hence scamming on a RL level (since we're talking about RL money here) then I'd be tempted to make him say bye-bye to his account. They have enough on their plates dealing with legitimate complaints to have people wasting their time with BS ones.

G

why would he lie about it when it is SO easily verified? What reason do you have for making such an accusation? *shakes head*

Whether it was caused by the boot or not, some kind of error delay may have prevented him from receiving his money and I would go with the advise above - PM Parizad or one of the others to look into it and assist.

G

<blockquote><hr>

why would he lie about it when it is SO easily verified? What reason do you have for making such an accusation? *shakes head*

Whether it was caused by the boot or not, some kind of error delay may have prevented him from receiving his money and I would go with the advise above - PM Parizad or one of the others to look into it and assist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either because he doesn't know its easily verified, or he has no intention of PMing Parizad or Lee since he does know then he'd be busted, and instead just wants to garner attention and/or sympathy from all the players who are already on the verge of 'gathering torches and pitchforks' against EA anyway, so they'd naturally believe he was 'yet another victim of EA's ongoing deceit. It's hardly rocket science for anybody who's been around to figure out what he's claiming just isn't possible, and as you see, I'm not the only one that thinks that way.

I

Inge Jones

Seems a bit harsh. Until it's looked into, it's premature to make accusations. The atmosphere in these forums has certainly taken a turn for the worse these last few days!

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

Is this even possible???

[/ QUOTE ]

Shari, this is the original message. This guy says someone complained that getting booted from a store caused him to error out of the paypal window therby losing him $5.

Being in the game is one thing, being at the paypal website is a totally unrelated item. Its a web browser window, its nothing to do with being in or being booted from a store in the game. If he says he lost $5 because he was booted from a store, then he is making it up. When you click on the ATM you are taken to a webbrowser outside of the game, you have to sign into your paypal account to make the payment. If he did all this then he woudl have a transaction number and will be able to track it.

I guess this was a kid who was looking for some attention and probably has no idea how paypal even works. He probably thinks the store gets teh money or somthing.

Its important to clear up this issue because other players may see this thread and then be put off bying money becasue they think they will lose out if they are booted from the house

I

Inge Jones

<blockquote><hr>

Shari, this is the original message. This guy says someone complained that getting booted from a store caused him to error out of the paypal window therby losing him $5.

[/ QUOTE ]

The error may have occurred when the paypal window attempted to send data to the game? There is almost certainly some scripting going on between the two processes in order for paypal to have the information it needs to credit the funds in respect of that particular sim.

As I understand it the guy got as far as making the payment but the interprocess messaging was interrupted so that the sim did not get credited. As has been pointed out, with the right help, this can probably be sorted out. I don't see how unpleasant comments about the person's motives help anyone. You're gonna put more people off buying credits by making them think if this happens to them their fellow players are going to call them attention seekers and scammers than would ever be put off by the thought they might temporarily be down by $5!!

G

I just think there is a difference between asking a question because of a story seems off and flat out accusing someone of lying and scamming. It could simply be a case of someone who had not used the ATM before and/or doesn't use paypal often and therefor did something wrong, or did not understand how it worked. I just don't see any need to pull out the pitchforks at this point.

Donavan said someone complained in game... what if it is a new player or someone who doesn't know what to do? How often do we see posts when a player has a problem and finally makes their way to the boards here to seek help? I would not assume that just because someone doesn't PM Parizad or Lee the second something happens that they are guilty. Maybe they don't KNOW what to do. Guess what, when playing many games I have had to ask stupid questions because I didn't know who to talk to or where to go to get something resolved.

Lastly, even if it is someone who is shady and trying to garner sympathy... there is NOTHING illegal about that. Its not the first fake sob story and it won't be the last. The OP did not indicate that the person was asking for money, merely complaining about a problem so we don't even know if he was begging.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Seems a bit harsh. Until it's looked into, it's premature to make accusations. The atmosphere in these forums has certainly taken a turn for the worse these last few days!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course no action will or should be taken until it is investigated, if they even choose to investigate it if the player themself doesn't complain about it, but you gotta admit, the scenario sounds far-fetched to say the least, even if you don't think it's blantantly BS.

G

Using the ATM machine doesn't loose your real $5. you go directly to paypal, sign in, then recieve a in-game messagefrom EA that your acct got credited. Obviously, this kid was lieing. Case close.

-opens web browser
-sign in to paypal
-confirm
-acct get credited for simoleans

-you will NOT loose your $5 for booting from ATM machine in-game.

G

So does this mean, if you know what the EAL-Paypal URL is, you can type it into your web-browser, thus making the concept of owning an ATM moot?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm last few days??? Been a heck of a lot longer than that. Scroll thru the threads when you get a few minutes to spare
City Hall= viper pit

G

ghostsong

<blockquote><hr>

So does this mean, if you know what the EAL-Paypal URL is, you can type it into your web-browser, thus making the concept of owning an ATM moot?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no. Paypal itself has a physical address, but in order to reach the URL you are speaking about you have to be in-game (or at least had to of been in the last however many minutes). You must enter through an application, in this case the in-game ATM. The Paypal website the ATM brings up is a timed. So if you wait longer then 10 minutes or so to make the transfer, you will be re-directed to a Paypal page that tells you that you've been timed out (and you must return to the ATM in-game). If you try bookmarking the website address, when you return to it you will get this message "Transaction Reference not Found or Invalid Status". So yes, the ATM is needed to make Paypal transactions.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Using the ATM machine doesn't loose your real $5. you go directly to paypal, sign in, then recieve a in-game messagefrom EA that your acct got credited. Obviously, this kid was lieing. Case close.

-opens web browser
-sign in to paypal
-confirm
-acct get credited for simoleans

-you will NOT loose your $5 for booting from ATM machine in-game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because errors NEVER happen in EAland right? Especially account problems... no one ever has problems with that. Well, when all of you pointing fingers have an account problem with say, simoleans or your monthly billing or, your entitlement days I will be the first one there to point a finger at you and call you a liar. (really though, I won't, but maybe you'll think a little harder before making accusations).

Hopefully this person got their simoleans or help or whatever they needed.

G

Maybe he owned an empty store lot and the owner thought he was there to restock. Some owners are just rude like that. Not allowing anyone with a store lot in their house. Maybe it is not possible, maybe it never happened. There is a way to find out if it could happen. Try it!