• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Boo. No Mention of Fixing People Who Run Lightning Fast...

G

Again PVP gets the shaft. They said it would be answered later and then completely just ignored it. I'm happy they blew up a few dupers houses, but I'd really like to see PVP get some actual attention... I mean when was the last time they did anything major for PVP? Fixing this problem that has become pretty rampant would be awesome.

G

Lets hope that the PvP third party programs and scripts are on EA/Mythic's agenda.

G

Nothing ruins PVP more than people who fly across the screen like there's no tomorrow.

I

imported_Loquacious Wrath

Has anyone considered that those accused of "speedhacking" are simply running UO and their comps as fast as possible (or aka overclocking)? Which gives them the boost in speed? KR, for example, runs faster than 2d and when I race people around Luna, it appears like I am running faster, aka using a speed hack, but I am simply running a fast connection, computer and client.

G

Don't rain on our parade today...I feel for you but right now...I'm having a really nice glass of wine to go along with draconi's "toast"

I

imported_mr.blackmage

no, about 75% of people pvping are using the same program.

G

Are you denying that PvP third party apps and scripts exist? I agree that connection and computers are a factor. To deny that folks cheat at PvP is a bit, well... I will just leave it at that.

I

imported_Bullet

Correct me if im wrong but did they not implement a clocking program to bring all to about the same speeds and how are those who cheat get around that?

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Heh, give them a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

For all we know, they are working on the plan for helping fix that crap right now.

Or, maybe they are just so dang busy blowing up the Goldarn Scripter Houses, they DON'T have time...just yet...

But speedhacking IS cheating...and Draconi stated, clearly, that cheating will NOT be tolerated...and is proving that, quite nicely...right now...just saw the plot of one of the burnt out shells on Pac a minute ago...WAY too cool!!

Patience IS a Virtue...and I am betting that PvP cheats will get their fair share of Draconi's and Team's attention, as well...that is my bet, anyway...

Count your blessings...not your adversities, a wise person once said...

kentuckyjoe

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I find truely amazing is when I look at some of the other forums and see screenshots posted by the "PvP GODZ", 99% of them have there cheat programs clearly visible in there screenshots. They openly talk about what programs they use and bash those that don't run them. I know the ego's of the "PvP GODZ" are so big that they feel that if X is using it, then they have to use it too so that they aren't at a dissadvantage.....but come on......its so lame. Most of these forums are open to the public and anyone can access them....why cant the Dev's take a look and see who openly flaunts the fact that they cheat?

I know that a good connection can help out alot. I ping 17 to Atlantic....but when I'm fighting a person that I know for a fact is from the West Coast and they outrun me, casting Flamestrikes without stopping.....how is that a connection issue?

G

I know they make it blatantly obvious sometimes because they don't care. Why should they? It's not like EA has ever done anything about speeding.

I

imported_mr.blackmage

most do it because they play this game to pvp, and if even one guild on a shard uses something that they don't get banned for, then everyone else needs to do it to balance out the playing field. If even 1 in every 50 speedhackers was being banned, people would stop.

G

I know one thing at a time, but it seems fixing speeders has been behind number one for how many years now? I can't see how it would be extremely difficult to stop it somehow... even if it is, that's pretty much their job. When every single PVPer complains of the exact same thing, and the vast majority have resorted to using these just to level the playing field it deserves getting fixed or at the very least looked into extensively.

F

Fantaapple

In that Irc crap today
I asked like 3 times what they plan on changing cheaters in pvp

what new events will pvp see in the future

They Ignored me

Useless

G

<blockquote><hr>

In that Irc crap today
I asked like 3 times what they plan on changing cheaters in pvp

what new events will pvp see in the future

They Ignored me

Useless

[/ QUOTE ]

They only answer pre-approved junk questions, 99% of which is trammy stuff.

G

I did the same thing multiple times, never even mentioned anything. I'll never understand why to be honest. PVPers have to make up at least 1/4th of the player base.

K

Kat SP

<blockquote><hr>

Lets hope that the PvP third party programs and scripts are on EA/Mythic's agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, let's hope!!

B

Bordoms

<blockquote><hr>

Don't rain on our parade today...I feel for you but right now...I'm having a really nice glass of wine to go along with draconi's "toast"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

*Cheers*

G

Yep, like i've said before on several other threads. I accidentally walked into a Speedhacker's Convention at Yew Gate. Had at least 6 Speedhackers chasing me, one of them drive-by Disarmed me when i was running away, which allowed the Archer's to pelt me with Moving Shots from normal X-Bows...Which don't have Moving Shot as a special.

Most of the huge, PvP/Champ Monopoly guilds on Napa (Or any other shard for that matter) encourage their members to use cheat programs, or even require them to. Which is why i've never joined one of them huge guilds, and is why even after playing for 10+ Years, i don't have all the Powerscrolls or Stat Scrolls i need.
I absolutely refuse to download or use "The Program" to be able to "even out" the playing field because i believe that truly skilled PvPers don't need cheat programs to win. Only the weak willed, lazy and honorless/skilless use Cheat Programs of any type. Because they can't compete otherwise with actual skilled players.

G

With a 3200 Mhz Comp, 4 Gigs of Ram, Good Video Card, Cable Conn and a Ping of 22, if someone is zipping past me like the Roadrunner, or is skipping around like Mary Poppins, i know they're using a speedhack. Which is basically 75% of the people i fight against.

"KR, for example, runs faster than 2d and when I race people around Luna"
Bull [censored]. KR may look like you're running a little smoother than 2D, but it's still slower. With the same comp i listed above, i've raced people around Luna in both 2D and KR, and 2D is MUCH faster than KR. You're obviously racing against people who have slow comps/conn/ping, or all 3.

G

give them a chance.

The responsiveness we've seen from the team this week, and Draconi's beautiful bonfires are giving me a good feeling. I may be totally wrong, but I feel as if they're acting like people from whom restraints have been lifted and who are enjoying and unpresedented freedom to do things they've wanted to for a long time.

Speedhacking is going to be a hard nut to crack, because (if I've understood right) some of these programmes don't just affect UO, but the whole computer?

F

Fantaapple

EA is still EA

They will still manage to forget about pvp

They still manage to take 8 months to fix a overpowered spell.

When archers hit for like 120 dmg it took them how long to fix that

K

Kith Kanan

<blockquote><hr>

Has anyone considered that those accused of "speedhacking" are simply running UO and their comps as fast as possible (or aka overclocking)? Which gives them the boost in speed? KR, for example, runs faster than 2d and when I race people around Luna, it appears like I am running faster, aka using a speed hack, but I am simply running a fast connection, computer and client.

[/ QUOTE ]

some peopel actualy DO speedhack , but if if this is what it takes , then put in a slower max speed peopel can run , problem solved , no matter what u hack or what client u run u cant run faster than the limit , problem solved.... ofc some peopel cheating and some peopel with a 8 ms ping would cry at first , but it would all be good in the end

G

I agree. There has to be something they can do to fix this problem. Well over half everyone who PVPs uses it, if not 3/4ths of all PVPers. Most of them have just resorted to using it because EA does nothing about it and they want to level the playing field a bit. I still refuse on one of these programs.

I

imported_revenant2

I believe that one difficulty with 'fixing speedhacking' is that the server already has a set speed that it allows the client to be able to do things within, and the 'speedhacks' are not actually exceeding that. Gametics are .25 of a second in UO, to the best of my understanding? Server-side, it's not going to let anyone do anything extra-special to move faster than someone else within that framework. The trouble is that many computers, combined with the internet pingtime to the server, just don't run the game fast enough to keep up with what the server would allow. So, people push the game client-side as hard as it can go (with good hardware and potentially accelleration software and perhaps client mods to minimize CPU load), and well, the people who aren't doing those things just get slower performance.

UO appears to be very real-time in it's handling of the client. If you say that you want to run west, it seems to wait for the client to give feedback on every gametic or, something close to that. If that's the case, maybe they will add some server-side prediction in an effort to bring the non-accellerated and higher-ping clients closer to the performance of the ones running extra stuff. That can make for some odd effects in what other players see when that prediction happens to be wrong, though.

It's hard to make something work fast and amazing when someone's PC and internet connection (and perhaps the efficiency of the client) aren't supporting the effort well.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I have a new comp, have upgraded my old comps (all of which are overclocked), router and connection and get accused of speedhacking on a regular basis even though I only run UO, vent or TS and ICQ on them, besides the various security programs and am certainly not as fast as some others since I am on the west coast and play an east coast shard.
This only happened on occasion before I upgraded and I wonder how often it will happen once I've replaced my old comps with the uber top-of-the-line mega powered one I want.

G

So do I. I have a brand new comp I built... Also have cable, my latency isn't the best in the world but there should be no reason people fly by me or run twice my speed.

G

Its not all in the pc thats for sure. I can outrun most people doing the doom gauntlet but last weekend I went up against another mage in PvP saw him cast flamestrike as I cast poison and I thought aha I got you my poison should disrupt your spell next thing I knew he killed me with 3!! flamestrikes while I was still casting the same poison, hmmm 3x lvl 7 spells quicker then 1 lvl 4 spell - think im gonna call CHEAT!! Yes I have 2/6 wasnt running protection so this shouldnt have been possible in normal game mechanics.

Also would like them to fix whatever cheat there using that allows reds to run safely thru any town for that matter

I

imported_mr.blackmage

What? You're saying that someone casted 3 f's in the span of 1.25 seconds?

That's a dev, and you got owned.

I

imported_ElRay

<blockquote><hr>

Its not all in the pc thats for sure. I can outrun most people doing the doom gauntlet but last weekend I went up against another mage in PvP saw him cast flamestrike as I cast poison and I thought aha I got you my poison should disrupt your spell next thing I knew he killed me with 3!! flamestrikes while I was still casting the same poison, hmmm 3x lvl 7 spells quicker then 1 lvl 4 spell - think im gonna call CHEAT!! Yes I have 2/6 wasnt running protection so this shouldnt have been possible in normal game mechanics.

[/ QUOTE ]

theres NO WAY that happened, its just not possible, theres no speed cast hacks in this game..you most likely got 3 ppl dropping flamestrikes on you, is it possible you lack pvp awareness? as thats what it sounds like due to your comment about interrupting his fs with your poison, I dont know about other mages, but when im casting I dont sit there and cast one spell and think to myself ahaha! I interrupted you! I cast and cast and keep casting

<blockquote><hr>

Also would like them to fix whatever cheat there using that allows reds to run safely thru any town for that matter

[/ QUOTE ]

this comment also leads me to believe you dont pvp much/often......at least in fel....reds are allowed in towns sir

G

The wording of the title had me imagining speed hackers being dragged to the vet like overly friendly dogs to be um... fixed...

Actually, considering the rather graphic nature of the latest punishment, I can almost imagine something along those lines being used to punish the next lot.

G

Well I wanted to keep it as clean as possible so they didn't just remove it for no reason at all.

I

imported_dukarlo

I think i understand why Ea does nothing about speedhacking.
1) They dont want to lose subscriptions
2) Alot of the guilds known for using such cheats often give EA 20 bucks a pop to transfer to other shards to find new people to fight
3) Actually having GMs police such things would mean EA would actually have to hire GMs to police such things thereby forcing EA to have to shell out money
4) It would cause EA to have to spend money "fixing" things

The bottom line is its all about money with EA being the huge corporation they are. Reputation and long term goals mean nothing to EA. Its all about how much profit they are turning now. Im sorry but Draconis little stunt in Luna means nothing. He cant enforce the entire game. Just this morning we just had a guild transfer over from Atlantic thats fast as hell. How long do we have to endure this? The only response weve heard is that EA has zero tolerance for cheaters which is totally false. If they have zero tolerance then why is no speedhacker ever banned or penalized when paged on? EA this is getting a lil old and tired.