• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bonded pet q.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once bonded, does taming need to be kept any any specific lvl if at all. Or could I bond a pet, stone the skill and still do the whole follow, kill, guard me stuff ?

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When your tamer gives a command, like follow, or kill, the game will check your tami g and lore skill. If you stone them, the pet won’t listen to you, it will go wild after several orders.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When your tamer gives a command, like follow, or kill, the game will check your tami g and lore skill. If you stone them, the pet won’t listen to you, it will go wild after several orders.
Never heard of a bonded animal unbonding but I've also never been curious about this, so I wouldnt know. But still never heard anyone say they've had a pet unbond before, so guessing this is an uncommon q lol

Trying to think of a moderately decent "guard" to fish with that takes little skill to control if any. Someone to I guess, if need be, take aggro for a few secs so I don't fizzle which doesnt haooen all the time but does happen. If me and said creature unfortunately time both our attacks right and I "lose concentration".

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never heard of a bonded animal unbonding but I've also never been curious about this, so I wouldnt know. But still never heard anyone say they've had a pet unbond before, so guessing this is an uncommon q lol
And yet, unbondings have happened even with full skills and have been reported both on Stratics and official forums. Bonding has nothing to do with keeping your pet tame. All it does is it allows a tame pet to be rezed. If the pet goes wild for whatever reason, the bond is naturally gone.
You can look into Bouras if you want a non-tamer pet that can tank and kill something. Oh, and there is a dedicated tamer forum on Stratics you might consider visiting.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not really looking for something to fight for me. Just, if needed, hold / pull agro for I'm guessing 3 to 5 secs when needed.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And yet, unbondings have happened even with full skills and have been reported both on Stratics and official forums. Bonding has nothing to do with keeping your pet tame. All it does is it allows a tame pet to be rezed. If the pet goes wild for whatever reason, the bond is naturally gone.
You can look into Bouras if you want a non-tamer pet that can tank and kill something. Oh, and there is a dedicated tamer forum on Stratics you might consider visiting.
Did quick look on bouras, gonna call it a night as it's really late. But seems there's, I think 3 kinds and all require taming of like 47.5 or something. Unless I overlooked something on my quick search.

But they dont appear to be no taming anomals.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No need for a pet, cast protection on your toon, your spell will not fizzle anymore.
This, any fisherman not using protection really are wasting fishing time. Lil bit MR, lil bit eval and some SDI is enough to deal with Deep Sea Serpents which is your biggest enemy.

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Not really looking for something to fight for me. Just, if needed, hold / pull agro for I'm guessing 3 to 5 secs when needed.
the Blue Beatles actual aren't terrible if you take the time to fully train then. Definitly will last 10 secs or more.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the Blue Beatles actual aren't terrible if you take the time to fully train then. Definitly will last 10 secs or more.
The advantage of the vollem is they have ranged damage (magery and dragon breath) for zero taming.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My Fisherman has a fully trained blue beetle and it chews up most serpents... He helps it with the Deep Sea Serpents... but yeah they make a good team. But then my fisherman is a 120 mage/weaver... with GM Inscription.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do have a blue beetle PP if that means anything with them. Didnt think to use him as I rarely ride him.

Would just need to train. But curiosity will have me looking into a vollem.

Do those need to be trained or is it like u buy them and that's it ?

I did read some weird stuff with beetles and slot usage though that has me a little confused.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do have a blue beetle PP if that means anything with them. Didnt think to use him as I rarely ride him.

I did read some weird stuff with beetles and slot usage though that has me a little confused.
You would not use the new animal taming training to increase their pet slot. But you can train the skills they start with to GM (like training used to be for a nightmare)

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You would not use the new animal taming training to increase their pet slot. But you can train the skills they start with to GM (like training used to be for a nightmare)
So out to wild, fight stiff etc ?

Best I can tell. The advance training, click dot thing is where taming and slots come into play as you progress PP or otherwise?

Without lore, short of a magincia stall for the lore check. How would one track progress ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The old beetles were ruined. They are 3 slot. The new tames are one slot. But irrelevant if you are not a tamer.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So out to wild, fight stiff etc ?

Best I can tell. The advance training, click dot thing is where taming and slots come into play as you progress PP or otherwise?

Without lore, short of a magincia stall for the lore check. How would one track progress ?
If you are human you can use JOAT to lore the vollem. You could also ask a tamer to lore it for you.

Shadow elementals in the Tokuno mines are great for pet melee training.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Trying to think of a moderately decent "guard" to fish with that takes little skill to control if any. Someone to I guess, if need be, take aggro for a few secs so I don't fizzle which doesnt haooen all the time but does happen. If me and said creature unfortunately time both our attacks right and I "lose concentration".
Have you considered having your fisher cast a fire elemental or a daemon and then have it guard your fisher? That's what I do with my resource-gathering characters. (They also have some music and peacemaking skill that can briefly stall an attack. Template for natural skills is 100 mining, 120 fishing, 100 lumberjacking, 100 magery, 100 meditation, 100 music, 100 peacemaking and bump the magery, music, and peacemaking with jewelry. )

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you considered having your fisher cast a fire elemental or a daemon and then have it guard your fisher? That's what I do with my resource-gathering characters. (They also have some music and peacemaking skill that can briefly stall an attack. Template for natural skills is 100 mining, 120 fishing, 100 lumberjacking, 100 magery, 100 meditation, 100 music, 100 peacemaking and bump the magery, music, and peacemaking with jewelry. )
Ya. Far n few between when it happens. But I've had them pop as I reel something up. So was looking at other avenues.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Both Giant (Blue) and Fire beetles were 3 slots before, now 1 slot. There was a period of about a month or two where you could release and retame them to get the slots to drop to 1, but due to other pets being exploited (an exploit that didn't work on beetles) the ability to do that was removed. If an old beetle is still 3 slots, it's stuck there.

In both cases (And also, with swamp dragons), it takes high taming to TAME them, but 0 taming to own a 1-slot one via a transfer from a tamer (or buying from one of the pet sellers in New Magincia). Once the pets have been "Trained" to higher slots by the taming training system, though, they require Taming to own. An owner of a 1-slot beetle can "classically train" (have it fight stuff until it reaches 100 in all skills, and 125 Dex/Stam) with no issues.

If you're still a Miner in-game, as your name implies, you can have up to 5 1-slot beetles (but no pack instinct, alas). But, without taming or spending money on a stable expansion, non-tamers are limited to 4 stable slots (plus whatever you're riding). And, since you can smelt ore on a Fire Beetle, you can have a herd of 1 fire beetle, and up to 4 giant beetles, and carry 16,000 ingots or 133 unsmelted large ore in each of the 4 blue ones. You then stable 4 of the beetles before you log out, and ride the 5th, in any combination. Remember that if you leave ANY pack animal out when you log that has stuff in it, it will not log out and WILL go wild within a few hours (and you lose the stuff in it).

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Both Giant (Blue) and Fire beetles were 3 slots before, now 1 slot. There was a period of about a month or two where you could release and retame them to get the slots to drop to 1, but due to other pets being exploited (an exploit that didn't work on beetles) the ability to do that was removed. If an old beetle is still 3 slots, it's stuck there.

In both cases (And also, with swamp dragons), it takes high taming to TAME them, but 0 taming to own a 1-slot one via a transfer from a tamer (or buying from one of the pet sellers in New Magincia). Once the pets have been "Trained" to higher slots by the taming training system, though, they require Taming to own. An owner of a 1-slot beetle can "classically train" (have it fight stuff until it reaches 100 in all skills, and 125 Dex/Stam) with no issues.

If you're still a Miner in-game, as your name implies, you can have up to 5 1-slot beetles (but no pack instinct, alas). But, without taming or spending money on a stable expansion, non-tamers are limited to 4 stable slots (plus whatever you're riding). And, since you can smelt ore on a Fire Beetle, you can have a herd of 1 fire beetle, and up to 4 giant beetles, and carry 16,000 ingots or 133 unsmelted large ore in each of the 4 blue ones. You then stable 4 of the beetles before you log out, and ride the 5th, in any combination. Remember that if you leave ANY pack animal out when you log that has stuff in it, it will not log out and WILL go wild within a few hours (and you lose the stuff in it).
Still a miner yes. And I thought the slot thing might be the case from what I read. I might still keep the guy, all be it stabled, for nostalgia lol

Hazel868789

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Use the "open paperdoll" trick. Used it at champs to have stuff agro me all the time. Set a macro, easy peezy. Then go putzing to see if it works.

Hazel868789

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
In paperdoll, click options. Bottom left, hit that crazy looking arrow key. Select ADD. In the Key place, select any key NOT being used. In the Actions slot, select OPEN. In the now displayed block to right select paperdoll. Hit the APPLY button, and you macro should be set now. Happy putzing.
( This has been posted in other forums, and messages, so its NOT illegal. )