• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bonded Pet died

CCLemon

Visitor
Greetings,

I had a bonded Cu that got killed in a dungeon and there was no ghost for my pet like it normally would. One new thing that occurred before this incident was that my Cu went wild during my dungeon run. I assume my pet went unbound? I'm new to taming so my question is on pet bonding. When a pet goes wild does that un-bond the pet? I didn't get a chance to check the bond status after I re-tame the pet since I just assumed once bonded it's forever. Can someone with pet bonding experience explain all the conditions when a pet will un-bond? Really heart breaking to loose my pet this way.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Greetings,

I had a bonded Cu that got killed in a dungeon and there was no ghost for my pet like it normally would. One new thing that occurred before this incident was that my Cu went wild during my dungeon run. I assume my pet went unbound? I'm new to taming so my question is on pet bonding. When a pet goes wild does that un-bond the pet? I didn't get a chance to check the bond status after I re-tame the pet since I just assumed once bonded it's forever. Can someone with pet bonding experience explain all the conditions when a pet will un-bond? Really heart breaking to loose my pet this way.
Yes, going wild means the pet is no longer bonded to you, or even tame any more, hence no pet ghost if it dies.
Typically a pet will un-bond if it is left alone for a long period of time or given multiple commands by someone with low taming/animal lore skill so it disobeys repeatedly until it un-bonds.

Last edited:

CCLemon

Visitor
My taming is 115 and lore is 100. I assume that is pretty high for controlling the pet. One thing I suspect is maybe my pet slowly became unhappy due to me not feeding it? Unhappy pets will be hard to control even with high tame/lore? Will a pet go wild if not fed?

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
its not from not feeding it, it's failed commands and loss line of sight causing lower happiness.(there are ,also, other bugs that cause pets to unbond)

as you level your pet up, the taming and lore requirements increase to 110, 110 for base chance of control.

you need to lore your pet on a regular basis to check its happiness level. you should strive to keep it at wonderfully happy.

for best control chance of your pet, i would aim at 115 taming, 115 lore.

if you want to use the masterys to the best of their ability, you want 120 lore, taming and vet.

here is some good info

CCLemon

Visitor
While I don't mind getting 120 tame and lore, my concern are these bonding bugs someone mentioned. What are these bugs? Another concern is even with 120 tame/lore are there situations were my pet will go wild?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
While I don't mind getting 120 tame and lore, my concern are these bonding bugs someone mentioned. What are these bugs? Another concern is even with 120 tame/lore are there situations were my pet will go wild?
I have trained up many, many pets and NOT ONCE have I experienced any pet bonding bugs. If your pets are going wild, then you need to up your skill.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a 120 all tamer and I have had 2 pets randomly go wild... it isn't about the commanding the pet nor is it about feeding it or any of that crap.... when it happens to the rest of you to a beloved pet just out of the blue with no rhyme or reason then you'll know.

You have as much chance as all the rest of us.

I had a beautiful pink hiryu... I went to take it to a player run PEC event... I was late so I was in a hurry went to the stable grabbed my pet, lored it... Fed it... recalled to the event in progress... gave the all kill command and the thing went wild on the spot... 120 taming, lore and vet... Just fed the thing, just got it out... could NOT re-tame it because of course there were at least 20 people there and several EVs and RCs just annihilated my pet and I could do nothing but watch... I just recalled away and logged out for about a week... didn't much feel like giving a crap about UO after that. Don't care to bother training up pets anymore either.

So tell me another story about how it's all on the tamer because that is not how I see it.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have a 120 all tamer and I have had 2 pets randomly go wild... it isn't about the commanding the pet nor is it about feeding it or any of that crap.... when it happens to the rest of you to a beloved pet just out of the blue with no rhyme or reason then you'll know.

I had a beautiful pink hiryu... I went to take it to a player run PEC event... I was late so I was in a hurry went to the stable grabbed my pet, lored it... Fed it... recalled to the event in progress... gave the all kill command and the thing went wild on the spot... 120 taming, lore and vet... Just fed the thing, just got it out... could NOT re-tame it because of course there were at least 20 people there and several EVs and RCs just annihilated my pet and I could do nothing but watch... I just recalled away and logged out for about a week... didn't much feel like giving a crap about UO after that. Don't care to bother training up pets anymore either.

So tell me another story about how it's all on the tamer because that is not how I see it.
When did that happen?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Happened a year or so ago... before they ended the PEC program...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Took me a good couple of months to get a new Pink Hiryu... but it honestly Sucks... nothing near as good as the old one and now it's just stabled forever and will never see the light of day... but in my mind I know it's not the one I was gifted so it just is a placeholder...

CCLemon

Visitor
I understand your pain MalagAste. In my opinion it's too harsh to just loose a pet permanently such as going wild and then killed especially to rare bugs. Loosing skills from death is enough of a penalty. When a player dies there's almost no penalty but why is a pet death so harsh.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The rare bugs are still better then how it was.

I remember the years when there was no pet bonding. Was always a pet market then.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I remember those years as well... still managed to keep pets for a long long time... But I also recall the first time a pet release bug happened was with the Bone Dragon at Doom... Lost a 7x WW to that... was horrified.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I came back did not know about bonding pets. Stable was full when I left game so loged on my tamer. He was riding one of my prized nightmares. Both where max stats that's how old they where.
Started going through my rune books looking to see if anyone of my friends still played. Recalled to a friend's house he lived close to Yew. I guess someone played a trick on me back in the day. Recalled right into a mountain side. Was dead from a mob of casters while my screen wa black from the recall. Lost my Day Break then still sad when I pull out Midnight her hunting system from the stables. Still have midnight 2 slot max stats mate from back then. Will never do the pet training on her. I just us her for show because of the bugs.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I went to take it to a player run PEC event
Just for the full picture, was there a Crimson or Platinum Dragon at that event? Those often cause pets to misbehave/go wild and especially those in the draconic family we understood?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not that I'm aware no... but it was very strange to just go wild like that with one command.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And posters get mad when I tell Tamers to get 120 Taming and Lore...
I always cringe when someone tells me they aren't running 120 real taming and lore on their tamers. One guy I know (I won't name him) had 90 taming and lore and used jewelry to get to 120. One day his 5 slot scrolled Bane went wild and got killed before he could re-tame it. He accidentally forgot to put his jewelry on. Then I was at one EM event where every 30 seconds or so all my gear would drop off in to my pack. So far I've seen three trained scrolled Cu's go wild and get guard killed at EM events. I always tell new tamers to invest the time to get 120 real taming and lore. And yes I've had people argue that point with me. If you are just training up pets then fine. But if you are going to attend EM events and do high end content it's well worth having the 120 real skill.

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
I always cringe when someone tells me they aren't running 120 real taming and lore on their tamers. One guy I know (I won't name him) had 90 taming and lore and used jewelry to get to 120. One day his 5 slot scrolled Bane went wild and got killed before he could re-tame it. He accidentally forgot to put his jewelry on. Then I was at one EM event where every 30 seconds or so all my gear would drop off in to my pack. So far I've seen three trained scrolled Cu's go wild and get guard killed at EM events. I always tell new tamers to invest the time to get 120 real taming and lore. And yes I've had people argue that point with me. If you are just training up pets then fine. But if you are going to attend EM events and do high end content it's well worth having the 120 real skill.
I've always had 120 Taming & 120 Lore and have toyed with the idea of doing it with Jewelry on a future tamer with a different build to save me some time and keep points available but that makes me cringe at the thought of losing a trained scrolled pet, especially one that no longer spawns! That is time you can't ever get back. Wow!

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah. Going for advanced templates is something you dont do unless its a pet that can be replaced, like a cu with 110s.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you want to use the masterys to the best of their ability, you want 120 lore, taming and vet.
Only Taming/Lore/Primer Level count for Mastery abilities. They don't consider Vet.

Sounds like one of the EM Event mobs had Crimson/Platinum Dragon AI. Those can cause Draconic pets to go wild instantly. Hiryus fit in the Draconic family (they're vulnerable to Dragon Slayer).

I remember those years as well... still managed to keep pets for a long long time... But I also recall the first time a pet release bug happened was with the Bone Dragon at Doom... Lost a 7x WW to that... was horrified.
Skeletal Dragons also had the ability to make pets go wild. Serpentine Dragons had the ability to make Draconic pets go wild as well. They eventually changed that to a 20% chance to deal triple melee damage to any pet. Only Crimson/Platinum Dragons retain the ability to make a pet go wild instantly.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO Nothing should make a bonded pet go wild... this needs to be addressed.

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
Skeletal Dragons also had the ability to make pets go wild. Serpentine Dragons had the ability to make Draconic pets go wild as well. They eventually changed that to a 20% chance to deal triple melee damage to any pet. Only Crimson/Platinum Dragons retain the ability to make a pet go wild instantly.
That is scary. So, this would only be possible at EM events where an EM might assign this creature type to one of the bosses? That is good to know, I'll make sure my WW is never at one of those events again. Just to be sure, this doesn't mean Crimson Drakes have this ability correct?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is scary. So, this would only be possible at EM events where an EM might assign this creature type to one of the bosses? That is good to know, I'll make sure my WW is never at one of those events again. Just to be sure, this doesn't mean Crimson Drakes have this ability correct?
Crimson/Platinum Drakes don't have this ability. Only Crimson/Platinum Dragons do, which can only be present at an EM Event. Thing is though, that an EM can assign the Crimson/Platinum Dragon AI to a creature that doesn't look like a Crimson/Platinum Dragon, and it can still cause Draconic pets to go wild.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I happened to see your reply there just a few days ago, and guess what happened to me this morning. I logged in, and fortunately in my house with a non-scrolled pet I could have afforded to lose. Just one "all follow me" caused a wonderfully happy pet to go wild. I retamed it, which dropped several skills by 30%, but at least I didn't lose the pet.

It's one of those things you aren't sure about until it happens to you, and when it does, you want to quit. When the game was a bit over a year old, after eval changes were put in, I had a friend with one of the few 7x mages anywhere. He lagged out during a duel, and when he logged in, he was ressed on the spot, with no menu to choose that or stay as a ghost. Bam, all the work he did, gone. Soon afterward, he was gone too. A while later, much the same happened to me with a 5x mage (and the other two in the 90s). I talked to GMs ("Sorry I cannot help thee"), exchanged e-mails with one of the devs who said he'd never heard of the bug and can't imagine how it could happen, but I kept with the game. A while after: the option to res on the spot was removed. The refusal to acknowledge a bug was the most infuriating part.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I happened to see your reply there just a few days ago, and guess what happened to me this morning. I logged in, and fortunately in my house with a non-scrolled pet I could have afforded to lose. Just one "all follow me" caused a wonderfully happy pet to go wild. I retamed it, which dropped several skills by 30%, but at least I didn't lose the pet.

It's one of those things you aren't sure about until it happens to you, and when it does, you want to quit. When the game was a bit over a year old, after eval changes were put in, I had a friend with one of the few 7x mages anywhere. He lagged out during a duel, and when he logged in, he was ressed on the spot, with no menu to choose that or stay as a ghost. Bam, all the work he did, gone. Soon afterward, he was gone too. A while later, much the same happened to me with a 5x mage (and the other two in the 90s). I talked to GMs ("Sorry I cannot help thee"), exchanged e-mails with one of the devs who said he'd never heard of the bug and can't imagine how it could happen, but I kept with the game. A while after: the option to res on the spot was removed. The refusal to acknowledge a bug was the most infuriating part.
The loss of that Hiryu still hurts... It was a gift from a friend so it meant a lot to me... and now it's gone... but it is what it is I guess... I still miss it.

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman

I saw the insta-rez bug happen to my brother during the first year of the game. He was running around doing whatever, someone attacked him and he died. He wasn't a fully maxed out character but the skill losses were still a tragedy. However, he was able to convince someone to undo the skill losses, so by that point it was at least acknowledged as a bug internally. I think it was like 3 hours on the phone with their tech support people and going through supervisors of supervisors. The GM's in game wouldn't do anything either.

Sadly this game is old though, it has bugs and many will probably never be figured out. I luckily have never lost a pet randomly.