• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] BODS Question

ViscidSix

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How long does it take to fill a Large Bulk Order. For about 2 days straight now i have been just doing bods for hours and i am not close to collecting the small bods i need for the large bulk orders. I have 3 chars getting bods so im wondering if there is some other trick i am missing. Thanks!@

K

Kallie Pigeon

Yeah. You have to accumulate large numbers of Bods to do LBods. It takes a while and the more rare the LBod, the longer it will take.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Consider the numbers:

Both skills:
There are 6 possible count/quality combinations for each BOD.
8% of BODs are larges, 92% are smalls.

For Smiths:
Half of BODs will be weapons BODs, Half will be armor BODs.
There are 25 distinct weapon small types, before multiplying by 6 for the count/quality combinations. These are always iron.
There are 24 distinct armor small types, before factoring in the 6 variants. ELEVEN of the 24 DO NOT have a corresponding Large BOD (meaning the normal non-combinables in the range from Bronze 20 to Agapite 15 count are the only ones worth keeping, and many mid-range exceptional (Shadow 20-count, Copper, Bronze, Gold 10 & 20, Agapite 10) can be considered junk as well). Armor BODs, depending on skill level, will be as little as 10% iron (120 skill), or as much as 50%/50% iron & colored (Smith below 110).

25 x 6 = 150 possible Weapon Smalls
11 x 6 x 9 = 594 possible non-combinable armor smalls
13 x 6 x 9 = 702 possible Large-combinable armor smalls
= 1446 possible smalls in the 92% of BODs.
The larges break down to
5 x 6 = 30 for weapons
3 x 6 x 9 = 162 for armor
= 192 Larges
1638 possible smith BODs total.

That's why getting smith BODs can take forever. Of course, by filling the weapons and non-combinables, turning them in one at a time, and getting an immediate replacement BOD, you can increase your chances immensely.

For Tailors (since someone is bound to ask and not check the Wilki sticky in the Data Chest subforum):

Tailor BODs are 1 in 3 chance to be exceptional (As opposed to 50%/50% for smith). Otherwise the 6 count/quality combinations are the same.

Unlike Smith BODs, who make an Armor vs. Weapon check, the choice of smalls is random between all 55 possible types for smalls, 14 types for larges.
All Tailor BODs will fit at least 1 large - THREE different larges if a footwear BOD - even before factoring in that you can put exceptional BODs into a normal LBOD, and colored smalls into a normal leather LBOD (or cloth BOD, for footwear)

If the type is a leather BOD (footwear), then it has a 70% chance to be colored leather. If if is colored leather, the chance for each color is: 60% spined; 30% horned; 10% barbed

Tailors then have a total of the following possible BODs (compare this to the numbers for smiths)

29 possible cloth smalls, times 6 for count/quality = 174 distinct cloth smalls.
26 possible Leather smalls, times 6 for count/quality, times 4 for leather type = 624 distinct leather smalls.
174+624 = 798 distinct smalls

9 of the 14 larges are cloth, times 6 = 54
5 of the 14 larges are leathers, times 6, times 4 = 120
174 possible larges

Total number of Tailor BODs possible: 972 (a little over half the smith amount, and a heck of a lot more common, and with the good rewards being much closer to the bottom end of the chart of rewards).

J

Jander

Thanks for the post Basara. I just got my new smithy to 101.3 and then I read your post. It makes me want to just run naked through the Abyss and end it all lol.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gather lots of bods, get .1 skill on each character you have and collect them as fast as you can (every hour I think?). Fill the worthless ones on your tailor/smith and turn in and get more right away. It's tough to build up a good number of bods but you can do it. Also shop at bod sellers and find people to trade with.

U

UOKaiser

Remmeber at the end of it all it's all about your collection. Once your collection is large enough you pretty much won't even notice the calculations. You be receiving high end rewards every weekly session of filling and turning in. Ofcourse building up the collection will take some time dependiing on how fast you collect your bods. Some people have collections ranging since the bod system was introduce others just 6 month collections it's quite noticeble on the frequecncy of rewards between the 2.
It's a little tough to get what I mean now but once you got your collection you will know exactly what I mean.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of course, then when you collect enough to start filling larges you realize that bods have become a second job.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yah it's a huge time sink. There's the sorting, then organizing, then filling, and then it starts all over again. I usually do a big batch of whatever for a few days then I get a nice big break, I keep all the filled bods in a BOD book and when I fill vendors I turn in however many I need for whatever I'm filling.