• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] BOD Strategy for POF & Dull Copper Runics

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the past, my smithy bod efforts were focused on obtaining high end runics. Now I want to focus my efforts on POF and dull copper runics. I looked over the charts at Tower of Roses and I think I’ve come up with a good plan. I wanted to run it past you experts to see if there is a big flaw. Or if you have a system in place, please share it. :) Previously, I would not use a small if it fit into a large. Now I will fill the following indiscriminately:
Small BODs for POF
20 ex dull copper
10& 15 ex shadow
20 nor gold
10&15 nor agapite
Large BODS for POF
20 ex 2 part weapon (halberd and bardiche)
20 nor iron plate
20 nor dull copper ring
10&15 nor shadow ring
Small BODs for Dull Copper Runic Hammers
20 ex shadow
10 & 15 ex copper
20 nor agapite
10 & 15 nor verite
Large BODs for Dull Copper Runic Hammers
10 & 15 ex 5 part (fencing weapons)
20 nor shadow ring
10&15 nor copper ring
10&15 nor dull copper chain
10&15 ex iron chain

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Given the relative low price of iron ingots, I'd fill the Iron BODs that have a 20% chance of POF as well.

Large BOD:
20 Normal Fencing (5-part BOD)
10-15 Normal Plate
10-15 Exceptional Bardiche

I personally find the 20%'ers for the small colored BODs that give POF worth the effort as well.

Even if you only get 1 in 5 as POF, you'll average less than 1000 DC ingots per POF (which is less than what you're using for the DC 20 ring larges), and with the possibility of more than one POF. The cost for the bronze 20, gold 10 & gold 15 normal smalls, even at 1 in 5, will still be a fraction of the price of buying POF from someone else on most shards (150-300k per POF, whereas the ingots would be 60-100k)

arkanos

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally don´t fill large bods for DC and shadow hammers, not worth it imo cause you will get a LOT of small ones being copper/bronze (all of the exeptional ones) and shadow (only 20) exeptional small ones. the shadows I do the least cause the ingots are usually used for the 100% PoF Bods.

And like basara said, I fill 20 normal bronze smalls, 10+15 exeptional dull copper and also 10 and 15 normal gold for the 20% chance (tbh the gold ones may not be worth it but I still do them).

I personally have never been lucky on a 20 normal large fencing bod (and I have turned in LOTS of them, but since Basara confirmed that they can drop PoF I still try my luck on them....)

20% PoF chance Large Bods I fill are all iron, but I am not doing the dull copper 10+15 normal ringmails anymore.

5% Luck

I know alot of the bod'rs around have a system that incorporates more bod buying or high end smiths collecting then I like to consider convenient so...

I have 2 accounts and 1 120 smith and 13 chars with .1 smithy. All my non smith chars collect a 10,15,20 non excp sheild bod every time they bank and fill it on the spot with npc bought shields.

Duhh right?

Well I try to keep a circulation of 500 bods on hand at anyone time and cycle ALL bods except for the val hammer bods as ingots provide(random resources suck). I end up with more PoF then I need or use and plenty to sell and enough dull hammers to craft neons for my self easily.

I toss ALL larges except for val hammers!

I fill all small bods so long as my miner can keep me in ingots.

When (and it does happen alot) I end up with a long list of a particular color bod that the RNG just isnt being friendly with me on I run out and buuy a stack of ingots of that color and THAT pisses me off.

This system while not so much a targeting system lets me keep a small number of bods(~500) and enough of the rewards that I can use and sell off.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well I try to keep a circulation of 500 bods on hand at anyone time and cycle ALL bods except for the val hammer bods as ingots provide(random resources suck). I end up with more PoF then I need or use and plenty to sell and enough dull hammers to craft neons for my self easily.

I toss ALL larges except for val hammers!
You do know that, for about 3-4 years now, there's a random chance for BODs ranging from Gold hammer and higher to upgrade their hammer reward 1-5 steps? So all high-level LBODs have a chance of popping a val hammer.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You do know that, for about 3-4 years now, there's a random chance for BODs ranging from Gold hammer and higher to upgrade their hammer reward 1-5 steps? So all high-level LBODs have a chance of popping a val hammer.
I was going to ask whether the scale for rewards was posted anywhere, but decided I'd do something unheard of on these forums and do some searching on my own first.

Source: UO Stratics *New* | Blacksmith Essay

Top to bottom:
Valorite Runic
Verite Runic
+60 ASH
Agapite Runic
+30 ASH
Golden Runic

+20 scroll
+15 ASH
+15 scroll
+10 ASH
Bronze Runic
Anvil (colored)
+10 scroll
Copper Runic
Shadow Runic
Dull Copper Runic
+5 Mining gloves
POF
Prospector's Tool / Gargoyle's Pickaxe
+3 Mining gloves
+1 Mining gloves
Sturdy pickaxe
Sturdy shovel

5% Luck

I used to work out all the bods for gold and above but in all that time I only ever recived 6 gold hammers and 0 aggy verite and val.

I simply dont care anymore!

I am completely convinced 99% of all high end runic hammers are dups.

That said I do turn over about 2000 bods a month. Is that not enough?