• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] BOD collecting question

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi never posted here before but have just got my smith to 120 (woohoo finally)
does holding a +30 or +60 hammer when handing in BODs increase your chance of getting better ones like it does to be 120 instead of say 50? Iv just handed in the 1000 bods i filled while leveling and got not 1 val or verite large or small :(

Is it not set up like Tailoring? as when i filled bods and handed them in when i hit 120 i got about 4 complete barbed kits.

Thanks in advance for any info

Thunderz

R

RichDC

The big difference between smith and tailor bods is really just that so many combos of tailors give barbeds where as only one give a val 2 (i think verite).

As far as i read into it it should make a difference but cant be certain (almost impossible to actually test) maybe next time you hand in 1000 hold a +60, record how many bronze runics, golds powders etc you got htis time and record next time.

1000bods should be a good test subject.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
if you ignore the modifiers for the chance of each material type, and look only at the finite number of BODs:

There between 1700 & 1800 small Smith BODs. Of those, there are 6 smalls that fit a Valorite Hammer Large BOD, and 18 that fit a a Verite Hammer large. Now figure that there's only a 1% chance to even get an exceptional BOD that uses valorite or verite (about 6% chance of an armor BOD of Verite or Valorite, half will be normal - and 11/24 what's left will be non-combinables, and 7 of the remaining 13 will be chain or ring - and only 20 count Ex Verite will do). Note that's only FOUR Larges that give the hammers.

Now, for tailors: ONE IN NINE SMALLS, ignoring rarity, fits a Barbed Kit large. Figuring in the breakdown for the leather types, that's still 1 in 25 smalls being one that fits a Barbed Kit large.

There's only HALF as many small Tailor leather BODs (including footwear) as there armor BODs. There are 120 Larges for these, making them disproportionally more common than Smith armor larges (smiths have 162), before you factor in that almost HALF of smith armor small BODs have NO LARGE.

The last big thing that makes the systems grossly unequal is the fact that there are TEN Barbed leather larges, SIX Horned Leather larges, and TWO SPINED LEATHER LARGES that give Barbed kits!

That's 18, compared to 4, with the Spined BODs being about as common as Dull Copper smalls, and the horned being as common as Copper or Bronze smalls!

Consider that you will pay millions for the small to fit one of the two top hammer Larges - but I can't find buyers on my vendor for Barbed kit smalls selling for 1% of that, most of the time. This is because most tailors will have 1-3 full sets of most of the Barbed kit Larges' small BODs, long before they see the large - and it was like that BEFORE we could get new BODs for old ones!